189 replies to this topic

#101 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Actually Bring me Sunshine i am there again next week to review, it's crazy that because i dared to criticize people are up in arms, how odd

'Inter alia, your point about Roz suggests they have added a bit more irony to the UK production, as its a UK production. Why would you assume that the fact that an older woman still has "knockout looks and moves" , could stop Hart not wanting her?'

Yes, thats what it was , it was irony lol
When you see the show and see the performance of that song come back an have this same discussion if you agree. It was telling that before she stripped the audience were laughing the song and her comedy performance (very good) the moment she stripped people in the gallery wold whistled and applauded each dance move. The bottom line is Roz is not desirable, that is part of the joke of the show. In that moment she became a total sex kitten. Her trying to be sexy or trying to look sexy (as they have done before) is the joke of the song, when she does look very sexy (an she did, well done on that figure Bonnie) the joke is lost.

Also it was very very clear the dance break was put in not for irony but to allow Bonnie to show off her dance skills. Don't get me wrong i think Bonnie did great, that was the only moment with her that jarred, i thought she was a total trooper and had great fun with a very underwritten role, she really made it her own.

#102 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not at all, I just think its this kind of attitude that excludes people without "theatre trained eyes" from experiencing the joy of theatre.
I don't care if something has 100 awards or zero, if I liked it then I liked it.
I've seen plenty of shows (west end & broadway) and films heaped with praise and oscars etc that I thought were awful and the solution? I don't watch them again? I'd never claim my opinion to be superior to anybody else's.
I think 9-5 will attract audiences who probably haven't seen a lot of theatre before in the same way that Legally Blonde did and I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

#103 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm not "up in arms" at all. It doesn't bother me that you criticised it, it bothers me that you seem to put your opinion across as the only one that matters.

#104 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

I don't think I'm superior to anyone, but audiences are different, some don't have theatre trained eyes, all I mean by that is I work in theatre for a living so when I watch a show I go to enjoy it but also see everything. I LOVE watching shows, I haves blast, I don't go in to be critical but I will come out and be honest. Oddly enough you mention it will pick up the same audiences that Legally Blonde does. I love Legally Blonde, I thought the scaled down London production was far superior to Broadway..... And the casting was perfect

#105 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

My opinion is not the only one that matters, I would love and do love for all people to express opinions and talk about what they liked and did not like. However since only me and you have seen it on this thread we are the only ones who can talk about it with knowledge of it

#106 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'm glad that you don't think that but in your earlier posts that is how it came across.
I'm really excited to see how the journey of this show progresses and hopefully see it make it to the West End. Most of the cheerful shows have closed and I would love to see the cowboy hats and Dolly wigs out in force down Old Compton Street :)

#107 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think it would be great if it can get in to London, I know that's what they want. Hopefully if they do the work on the show it needs it will have a chance. With Dollys name behind it it should have a shot. I know the cast are spending all the time they have off stage up until Tuesday on trying to fix the problems.

#108 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postvertigo1, on 13 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Actually Bring me Sunshine i am there again next week to review, it's crazy that because i dared to criticize people are up in arms, how odd

'Inter alia, your point about Roz suggests they have added a bit more irony to the UK production, as its a UK production. Why would you assume that the fact that an older woman still has "knockout looks and moves" , could stop Hart not wanting her?'

Yes, thats what it was , it was irony lol
When you see the show and see the performance of that song come back an have this same discussion if you agree. It was telling that before she stripped the audience were laughing the song and her comedy performance (very good) the moment she stripped people in the gallery wold whistled and applauded each dance move. The bottom line is Roz is not desirable, that is part of the joke of the show. In that moment she became a total sex kitten. Her trying to be sexy or trying to look sexy (as they have done before) is the joke of the song, when she does look very sexy (an she did, well done on that figure Bonnie) the joke is lost.

Also it was very very clear the dance break was put in not for irony but to allow Bonnie to show off her dance skills. Don't get me wrong i think Bonnie did great, that was the only moment with her that jarred, i thought she was a total trooper and had great fun with a very underwritten role, she really made it her own.

From what you describe there it becomes a  more complex joke? Giving them a SuBo moment so that she's actually A when they all assumed she was B?  might be worth a try - depemds if the audience get it. And if she can get a good reaction anyway why not do it even if the joke misses some.?  As i said it makes no difference logically  to who Hart does  lust after.

#109 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postvertigo1, on 13 October 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I don't think I'm superior to anyone, but audiences are different, some don't have theatre trained eyes, all I mean by that is I work in theatre for a living so when I watch a show I go to enjoy it but also see everything. I LOVE watching shows, I haves blast, I don't go in to be critical but I will come out and be honest. Oddly enough you mention it will pick up the same audiences that Legally Blonde does. I love Legally Blonde, I thought the scaled down London production was far superior to Broadway..... And the casting was perfect

Legally though does show that there's a difference in UK and US audiences - whether you look at the success or the content or the arguing fanbases. I agree about Legally UK - but I don't know if thats what an US audience would buy or follow. Sheridan was pretty unique and distinctive. Other characters were subtler or made more effective for a UK audience. Natalie of course did play Paulette in Legally (and gave one of the best recieved vocal performances in town as well as being hilarious ) if you saw her  Angela in Abigail's party, that character sounds exactly like the one you describe. Bonnie has also  come off adding high kicks to the Lady of the Lake in Spamalot - which also seems to have worked given its transfers.. I don't think you can  possibly judge yet whether whats there  is whats envisaged, whether the characters  will come together more - hopefully on one continent -  or whether something more like the US version, or something that targets UK audiences, as Sheridan did, and Natalie did in Legally, will sell more tickets.

#110 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm very greatful to vertigo1.There are some wonderful shows touring at the moment and I'm right between Manchester and Bradford/Leeds so there's a lot of choice.I really would have been upset had I spent my hard-earned money and time on this at the moment.I may well consider it later on but I really do expect a polished production at these prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users