189 replies to this topic

#121 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

For anyone who's familiar with previous productions, are there any new scenes in the show?

#122 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostJamie Kenny, on 19 October 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

For anyone who's familiar with previous productions, are there any new scenes in the show?
not seen the tour yet, but the scene with the bean bags and the trip was never rehursed and new songs were instead, according to Amy when I spoke to her last month. Will update more when I go on monday

#123 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

View Postcat123, on 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this next week, but the main thing I'm worried about is Natalie Casey. One of my favourite actresses got so close to being cast, I don't want to be sitting there thinking "she could do it better". The cynical part of me suspects that Natalie was cast because she's a name.

Admittedly, I've not seen her in 9 to 5 but if you saw her in Legally Blonde you will know just how incredible her singing voice is. On top of that she's a brilliant comedy actress.
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#124 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postmusicmancjay, on 20 October 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Admittedly, I've not seen her in 9 to 5 but if you saw her in Legally Blonde you will know just how incredible her singing voice is. On top of that she's a brilliant comedy actress.
The role couldn't be more different to Paulette, I really liked Natalie in Blonde but not sure how great she'll pull of Judy.... We'll see.

#125 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postcat123, on 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this next week, but the main thing I'm worried about is Natalie Casey. One of my favourite actresses got so close to being cast, I don't want to be sitting there thinking "she could do it better". The cynical part of me suspects that Natalie was cast because she's a name.

I wouldn't worry. There's very few reviews - which don't take long to scan . Some of the anti ones seem strangely to repeat the same detailed points that few people who haven't seen the US show would know ,  and other  reviewers  loved it all. Name is a difficult concept thats  rarely defined - Michael Crawford and Russell Grant were  both "names". There is a difference. Natalie can sing and act really well,  from what I have seen   acting  two very similar roles in the West End - she just happens to have been on TV. There's no reason for anyone to  assume either that she has been miscast from the fact that they didn't like it - its just a common logical non sequiter.  Its much more likely she's doing exactly what she's been cast for - because some director or producer, rightly or wrongly,  wants that and she's just shown she can do it. .

The issue is what you like when you get there.There it depends what you want, are open to , or find enjoyable, and if the director is on the same planet as his audience . There's going to be people who want to see the US production, some with musical training who listen to every note,  and some who want the thing to be played  completely straight. Some will miss the point, others may   like some changes, or not , and appreciate,  or not,  more acting in the singing - even if the score  changes to  follow the acting . No one wrote Rachel's winning growls as Elphaba , or Sheridan's in Little Shop - audiences just liked  them and got the dramtic point they  were making. Some will like some panto - others will hate it. Some people can't stand characters  being overplayed, or another layer of communication to the audience being added. Some will love it - and its hardly inevitably  a dud move -  look at  One Man Two Governor's, Rylance's Richard 111 or Sheridan's Elle. People are just different. Some think Phantom is about chandeliers. pristine notes and  safe,  mature , Christines - others are more open to more emotional, realistic, youthful ,  Christines, don't care about   the scenary,  and may like new interpretations. It seems people are just like that.

Objectively there  is an answer. if people like  it the way its being done and keep on cheering, laughing at things they won't get to laugh at in the US production,  and buying, they have a success. If more  think its a bit odd and misconcieved, they won't. The only thing that can change that  is enough people being put off by a few,  not that logically convincing, reviews at the start.

#126 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

There are 15 production photo's on the 9 to 5 website! I think they all look great and cannot wait to see at the National Press night next week =)

http://www.9to5themu...l.co.uk/#photos
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#127 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Excellent djp!

#128 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

Broadway World Review http://westend.broad...-House-20121020

#129 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

But Vertigo you wrote that review! Lol Unless you actually claim to not to be songanddanceman/craig hepworth from the bww boards even though you both write the same things and have a company called vertigo productions

#130 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

DJP sorry but the excuses you are making for Natalie (Blame audience, critics etc) are silly. First of all she will have been miscast because she is a TV name so they would not have cared hugely if she was a 100 percent suitable. Secondly it has nothing to do with audiences 'being open', I'm sure everyone who goes to watch it is hoping for a great night with a great cast. Third, you keep mentioning that people who have seen the Broadway performance are expecting that. Well if you mean expecting to see a charachtrr how it's written in a script and ALSO performed in the Movie then yes. This is not a NEW role, and if your script is sticking so close to the movie down to the letter then yes you will expect the same characters.                         You mention thinks like Sheridan's performance of Elle, the one BIG difference is that Sheridan still played her as an air head with a heart of gold. Christine will always be played as Christine is written etc, Natalie is not playing a role as written, that's what you keep jumping over. You can't have the description of the role written in the program then play it opposite, THAT is when you know she is not playing it right.   And audiences are laughing because she is reducing herself to doing silly voices etc to get a laugh, depressingly the audiences I saw it with twice loved her silly voices, but at the same time sat on their phones, talking and drinking because the audience is largely made up of non theatre going groups of middle aged women. Any theatre goer can see what Natalie is up to.                                                          As for reviews, the chances are non of the critics watched the US version (it wasn't like it was a long runner) they just happen to know theatre. The show has had mixed reviews from the major local papers etc (except the MEN who like everything that ever goes on at the Palace or Opera House) and I will guess thats the way the reviews will go for the rest of the tour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users