189 replies to this topic

#171 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Most odd, had an e mail to indicate that the performance tonight will start at 20:00 due to technical difficulties but there will be a Q&A session at 19:30 instead.

Is half an hour really that helpful for a technical problem??

#172 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I they want to have a Q & A, it should be afterwards so the show can start promptly and those unable to stay can leave.  I enjoy Q & A sessions but only stay if they're post-matinee, as evening performances mean a late enough night as it is.  Some people have infrequent trains to catch!

#173 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Thought this was really good fun, the cast are all uniformly excellent (Natalie Casey was off....yet again...although I can't imagine she would be better than her understudy who was superb)

The Q&A was before the show which is slightly dumb and was basically the (seemingly) inept producer answering a few questions before the show started at 20:00

And do you know what, the book and music are pretty entertaining....ten times better than things like Viva Forever! and I thought for the genre this is an excellent night out...some very catchy songs and the silly storyline works well

What will prevent it from succeeding in the WE are the low budget production values and I think that is a problem....unless a musical is a "boutique" style affair (such as Once or Next To Normal) then some staging requirements are needed to please people and these are sadly lacking in 9 to 5

Just look at The Bodyguard....a mediocre and corny show if ever there was one, but elevated to a high status purely due to the sheer excellence of the staging and concepts demonstrated on the stage

I only say all this because the producer expressed a interest in a WE transfer....!!

#174 Who'sInTheBand?

Who'sInTheBand?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Here are the cast performing "9 to 5" on This Morning (Friday 8th Feb 2013)...

#175 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Saw this on its London tour stop - Richmond - and was entertained if not much more.  Natalie Casey was still MIA but Gemma Maclean was just fine as Judy.  The whole cast was excellent with Bonnie Langford, especially, working overtime to steal every scene she was in.

As noted, the sets are cheap-ish and the production values skimpy but that was not the problem.  To me the show itself is so relentlessly lightweight and formulaic and the Dolly Parton score so monochromatic that it all makes little impression.  There's absolutely nothing special about it - no great song, no great lines, no great moments.  Its best feature is its pace - thanks to Jeff Calhoun's slick direction and choreography it moves like a bullet.  So it never bores - it's just not very interesting.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#176 Lou105

Lou105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostParsley, on 11 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Most odd, had an e mail to indicate that the performance tonight will start at 20:00 due to technical difficulties but there will be a Q&A session at 19:30 instead.

Is half an hour really that helpful for a technical problem??

When it opened in York the local press reported a late start due to difficulties with the set which led to a long tech. So maybe they've now built that in if they think the venue will have similar issues.

#177 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

On the topic of loading in, I saw the final night in Dublin with a friend who had saw the show in Brighton and said it seemed scaled back, perhaps due to lack of load out time.

There were only two blocks (is that what they're called? The set pieces which make up the bathroom,the office, Hart's office, the parking lot etc) as opposed to three and a "clock" backdrop was cut also. We thought they may have reduced it to save on shipping costs however in this video, the clock backdrop and three blocks are visible:

Nothing major of course, just something I found interesting

#178 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

When I saw it in Dublin there were 3 blocks and the clock backdrop was there !

#179 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I went last Saturday afternoon in York. I didn't know anything about the show before I went other than knowing the title track and seeing the cast perform on This Morning, which I really enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the show that much though, I thought the storyline was just too silly. I liked the music, and thought it was clever how Dolly Parton appeared in it. I would have liked to have seen Ben in it, so was a bit disappointed he had left by then, I liked how they showed the cast's names at the curtain call. Overall I am glad I went but won't be rushing to see it again.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#180 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostRozzi Rainbow, on 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I went last Saturday afternoon in York. I didn't know anything about the show before I went other than knowing the title track and seeing the cast perform on This Morning, which I really enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the show that much though, I thought the storyline was just too silly. I liked the music, and thought it was clever how Dolly Parton appeared in it. I would have liked to have seen Ben in it, so was a bit disappointed he had left by then, I liked how they showed the cast's names at the curtain call. Overall I am glad I went but won't be rushing to see it again.

Just shows everyone likes different things, I thought it was a great show, I was lucky enough to see ben and thought he was brilliant. Huge stage presence and really made you hate the charector. Agree with you about the dolly bit, very clever how she appears through out the show, and also agree about the cast names, I've seen a LOT of shows and never seen that done before, great idea !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users