189 replies to this topic

#181 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

A friend took me on Friday night to see it on the lovely but cramped stage that is the Richmond theatre. I had low expectations of this show but absolutely loved it. I always thought Dolly’s music was too twee but I got really into it and found it to be moving and / or had a great sense of fun

The show is well cast and I thought everyone gave a great performance – especially Bonnie Langford when she was on the toilet! The film of La Parton seemed shoehorned in and clumsy but not as clumsy as the endless scene changes and cheap and ugly set. But that aside I didn’t really care because the songs and book are pacey and fun this show has a great heart – the next day I ordered the OBCR and the best of Dolly Parton.

If they spent a bit of money on it and choreographed the endless furniture shuffling, I could see this working really well in the West End. I know I’d go back see it again regardless #totalconvert

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#182 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just had a look at the pics on the tour website http://www.9to5themu...l.co.uk/#photos and there appears to be much more set than we had last week in Richmond, as mentioned earlier in this thread. If the tour goes to a larger venue do you get more set? Or is it about saving money?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#183 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

It depends on the venue. If it has the wing space to store it, then it is used. Joseph has toured like that for years, moulding the production to for each venue.

#184 user456

user456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostParsley, on 11 February 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Thought this was really good fun, the cast are all uniformly excellent (Natalie Casey was off....yet again...although I can't imagine she would be better than her understudy who was superb)

yes, the understudy is very good. Very nice as well. Met her at the stage door and she seems to be a great person. Way nicer than Natalie Casey ever will be.

#185 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

What's wrong with Natalie Casy ?

#186 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Not sure, but by all accounts she is back on stage tonight!
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#187 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

are the three female leads staying with the show for the rest of the tour?

#188 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 21 February 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

What's wrong with Natalie Casy ?
when they interviewed her at the Wos awards she said she had a throat infection and the doctor had signed her off until 21st feb so I presume she was on last night or was going on tonight ?

#189 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I had never heard of Natalie Casey until I read earlier comments about her in this thread, so I was looking forward to seeing her when I caught the show at Richmond last week, to see what people were talking about.  But of course she wasn't on, so I am none the wiser!

#190 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

When I asked what was wrong with Natalie Casey I wasn't enquiring about her health, a comment was made about her not being very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users