• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 louise0501

louise0501

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

hi there does anyone have any contacts within the theatre industry that migth be able to help me out with backstage work? e-mail addresses, mailing addresses would be great.
Please reply
Many thanks
Louise

#2 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

What kind of backstage work and do you have any experience/training? How old are you? And are you looking for temp and part time backstage work to pay the bills or are you wishing to pursue a career backstage?

#3 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

hey, i'm not sure what kind of backstage work yet as i don't have any experience or training. i would love to pursue it as a career, i'm 21.

#4 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Then you are probably best off applying to full time technical theatre courses at drama schools. There are some excellent opportunties around.

#5 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Apr 23 2008, 07:18 PM) View Post
Then you are probably best off applying to full time technical theatre courses at drama schools. There are some excellent opportunties around.

Okay thanks, do you know of any good courses worth applying for? the fact i have no experience may go against me. also any idea on cost of these courses?
Please reply
Many thanks
Louise

#6 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

I don't work backstage, so am not the ideal person to ask but I suggest you check out the National Council of drama training website (you can get funding for these courses) www.ncdt.co.uk and also post in the backstage section of the stagetalk forum, which can be found under "talk" on www.thestage.co.uk

Or post here for the attention of Colourac who is a much experienced backstage "worker". smile.gif

#7 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Apr 24 2008, 11:31 AM) View Post
Or post here for the attention of Colourac who is a much experienced backstage "worker". smile.gif

Thanks for the endorsment Jane!  blink.gif

Janes idea of checking The Stage is probably best as I, *ahem*, started my career in the year of the ark being built and got trained on the job ...... so to speak wink.gif

Louise, if you are not sure what you want to do then it might be an idea to get a crew/lx job to see how things work. When you are there you can speak to the people you are working with & the SM team of the show and find out how/where they trained and what they recommend. Also to find out what you like doing and what you are good at!

Good luck with it all

Cx

PS there are posts here and on the stage site to point you in the right direction for applications etc
nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

#8 Guest_Jenny Antill_*

Guest_Jenny Antill_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Guildhall School of Music and Drama does a BA (Hons) in Stage Management and Technical Theatre. I'm a first year student there and it is a fantastic course, would highly recommend it.

#9 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

thanks so much for the advice, i have looked at a few drama schools that offer technical courses. it's soemthing i really wanna do more than anything, i have looked into some local amateur theatre groups to maybe get a little bit of experience, havn'y heard back from them yet though. i have a couple of worries though, the money will obviously be a problem? also i have really low self esteem and self confidence so i'm concerned i won't be able to do it and i will screw up the interview anyway?
please reply
Luv Louise

#10 Guest_Jenny Antill_*

Guest_Jenny Antill_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well i'm not exactly 'Miss Confident' but after 7/8 months at drama school I already feel that it has done wonders for my self esteem and such. Besides, you dont know if you dont try. See if you can get a couple of interviews and attend the open days, see if  you feel comfortable there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users