ALW Storms Off?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Elle @ Apr 30 2008, 10:27 AM) View Post
I think he liked Keisha a lot but how many times can the girl be in the bottom without going... she never would've won the public vote being so unpopular with them.

"Helena" is what I'd say to that...
How many times was she in the bottom two in HDYSAPLM?

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(guest @ Apr 30 2008, 03:08 PM) View Post
"Helena" is what I'd say to that...
How many times was she in the bottom two in HDYSAPLM?

If he is storming off with such an obvious weakling to choose out of the 2 what the hell is he going to be like at the business end of the competition. He must have a short memory as I seem to remember him voting off the likes of Daniel Boys and other talents quite early in competitions.

#23 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Apr 28 2008, 03:39 PM) View Post
All I can say is, if you want a fair casting process (something which rarely ever happens anyway) DON'T involve the public!

i agree.

casting is very rarely 'fair'. it would be lovely to think that the most talented people would always be the most successful, but that hardly happens.

this process isn't fair either. it's unfair in a different way to the 'normal' casting process, but unfair nonetheless.

but traditional casting can also be a popularity contest too... casting directors will favour their favourite agents, performers etc etc. it doesn't happen in quite so public a way, but it still happens.

maybe what these programmes are actually doing isn't suddenly making casting unfair, but actually showing us how unfair it's been all along.

just a thought.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ May 4 2008, 06:05 PM) View Post
casting is very rarely 'fair'. it would be lovely to think that the most talented people would always be the most successful, but that hardly happens.

this process isn't fair either. it's unfair in a different way to the 'normal' casting process, but unfair nonetheless.

but traditional casting can also be a popularity contest too... casting directors will favour their favourite agents, performers etc etc. it doesn't happen in quite so public a way, but it still happens.

maybe what these programmes are actually doing isn't suddenly making casting unfair, but actually showing us how unfair it's been all along.

just a thought.

Interesting points.
Perhaps also the issue of auditions more usually being a one-off (Ok I know they use recalls, but not to this extent) where it's make or break.  These shows require the performers to consistently deliver (in public) week after week . . .

#25 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

i think that's a bit of an over generalisation.

even the shortest audition processes will still generally have at least 2 recalls after the first round, and it's not uncommon for the process to be drawn out over 6 or 7 rounds over anything up to a couple of months.

and really, if these girls can't perform 3 or 4 songs one night a week, then how the hell would they cope with a whole show 8 times a week? i'm not convinced by your argument, i have to say.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#26 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(amy @ Apr 27 2008, 09:42 PM) View Post
He said neither of them should be there..so who (expect Ashely) was he thinking should be there?? I was confused. Definatly for the cameras......seeing as its not live too, theyd have edited that in for some drama.....

I too have been wondering along the lines of your first question.

But is it really NOT LIVE?

Is the Sunday show perhaps recorded later on the SATURDAY night - is that perhaps why votes have to be in by 9pm?

(I wish we had longer in which to vote: family responsibilities after the show keep causing me to miss the 9pm deadline.)

#27 Guest_Guest_nancy_*_*

Guest_Guest_nancy_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Yup. It is recorded at 9pm on saturday nights!

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

"maybe what these programmes are actually doing isn't suddenly making casting unfair, but actually showing us how unfair it's been all along."

No, other factors of "unfairness" has been added here. Namely a) involving a public who doesn't know anything about casting, voting mainly for their "faves" and girls from their home town ratehr than for whom is actually suitable for the role and part and cool.gif making the contestants audition for millions of people live. Auditioning is tough enough as it is and imho to make it professional should be kept as "relaxing" and unstrained as possible for the autitioning persons during the many recalls (there can be up to 12 or 14 even, friend of mine just had 6, which is the norm for Marguerite swing). Auditioning is not about a perfect performance, especially in the recall section. It's about trying out different material to see how the actor working with the material fits the part. It is rarely about a finished and perfected performance. So those are two major flaws in the reality TV casting process. IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users