20 replies to this topic

#11 do brookes

do brookes

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 11 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post
I think the play itself has not aged well at all, but it is one everyone should see at least once due to its historical importance. I saw the Peter Bowles version 20 years ago and it too was only partially successful. I did not see the MIchael Pennington one 10 years ago - that sounds like strange casting - did anyone see it ? (at Hampstead ?).

I saw The Entertainer last night and thought it was wonderful and that Emma Cunniffe was far from weak..she shone out!It is a great play..performed to perfection.

#12 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

I'm going to see this on Friday. If you hear somebody shouting out Wolfie during the curtain call that will be me.

Long live the Tooting Popular Front!

#13 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Mar 19 2007, 12:36 PM) View Post
I'm going to see this on Friday. If you hear somebody shouting out Wolfie during the curtain call that will be me.

Long live the Tooting Popular Front!

Shouldn't you shout FOXY instead?
Which way did he go McGill?

#14 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

Has anyone seen it since John Normington left?  Shame.  He was the best thing in it.

#15 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

I only saw the understudy on my visit and he was quite good. But for me it was Robert Lindsey who stole the show. He really is quite watchable and exhibited great pathos in the final scene that it was quite heartbreaking to watch.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

See thread below - some of us liked it. It's the Old Vic problem again - too vast although in this play they did make use of all that space in the last scene.

#17 theatre*fairy

theatre*fairy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

I absolutly adored this show. I was front row for only 12 (under 25) and i loved every second of it. Its such a sad story. If Robert Lindsay and Pam Ferris (at least) dont get nominations for different awards,coming up or next year its a disgrace to theatre. Plus i got to meet both of them after the show, and they are 2 of the nicest people ive  ever met. Robet Lindsay especially as he was saying the other day, a women came down from Glasgow to wait at the stage door to meet him, and he said her camera died and it broke his heart.
Tommy: OK, very important. There are two types of women, type A and type B. You listenin'?
Frankie:  Yeah.
Tommy:OK, type A. They're real easy. Jump right into bed witcha. Then later on, they bust your balls. Type B. First, they play hard to get. Then later on, they bust your balls.
Frankie: I don't get it.
Tommy:Don't worry, you will.

#18 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

To mark the Olivier centenary, about which see Michael Billington's article in 'The Guardian' a couple of days back, and Gawn Grainger's tribute in 'The Independent' Arts & Book Review today, BBC2 is showing the 1960 film of 'The Entertainer' that Laurence Olivier made after he had played Archie Rice in the stage play, tomorrow, Saturday 19 May, at 3.50pm. (It clashes with live broadcast of the FA Cup Final, so you'll have to decide which, if either, you watch.) This film includes the screen debuts of Alan Bates and Albert Finney.

BBC2 at 10.50pm tomorrow is also broadcasting 'The Boys from Brazil', while earlier on Radio 4 in The Archive Hour at 8.00pm, Mark Lawson considers whether Olivier's acting style has gone out of fashion, and if he leaves a legacy for theatre today.  

#19 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thanks El Peter- would have missed that otherwise (and it gives me a chance to try out my new DVD recorder, since I won't be at home on a Saturday afternoon)

QUOTE(El Peter @ May 18 2007, 12:00 PM) View Post
It clashes with live broadcast of the FA Cup Final, so you'll have to decide which, if either, you watch.

Not the hardest decision to make...

Oh, and it'd better not delay Doctor Who!

#20 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

John Normington died on Thursday.  With his performance in The Entertainer, and The Voysey Inheritance last year, I think we can say he went out on a high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users