#61 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

If Samantha wins, I am going to vomit in an envelope and post it to the BBC.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#62 Guest_Guest_Emily_*_*

Guest_Guest_Emily_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 4 2008, 12:52 PM) View Post
well put!  It's hard enough to prove to people that this industry/career/job is hard work, this process is making it all seem even more of a joke, and losing what respect we may have had!

Yes, god forbid the audience should have any say in who they want to see on stage eh? After all, it's not like they're the ones paying your wages. Oh wait, hang on...

#63 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Emily_* @ May 4 2008, 04:26 PM) View Post
Yes, god forbid the audience should have any say in who they want to see on stage eh? After all, it's not like they're the ones paying your wages. Oh wait, hang on...

said by a non-actor...

And the audience will be the first to complain if the person they do see is no good!

#64 Guest_Guest_Emily_*_*

Guest_Guest_Emily_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 4 2008, 06:48 PM) View Post
said by a non-actor...

How very patronising you are.

The worst advertisement for the acting business is in fact people like you, performers who think only they can understand how terribly hard their lives are, and who assume that the rest of the Great British Public are just downright thick. I may not be an actor, but I have several friends who are, two of whom are on the west end. I am well aware of just how difficult it is to get to drama school and get an agent, let alone getting to the stage of having to go through endless auditions and never get the part and never even hear back why you weren't right. I know that 9000 people graduate from the UK's drama schools every year (and that figure only includes the accredited ones), even though there are already nowhere near enough parts to go round. I know that the average equity member only works around 4 weeks a year. I know that even once you make it to the west end, you're still barely earning enough to pay the rent and bills to live in London. I can fully appreciate how hard it must be.

But maybe you should appreciate that if there weren't people out there willing to pay to watch you perform, there would be absolutely no work for any of you whatsoever. It is the public who allow you to try and do this job, and slagging them off and claiming they're too stupid to be allowed any control over anything whatsoever is just ignorant and really, downright rude. rolleyes.gif  

I actually agree to a certain extent that these programmes are unfair and unrealistic, and give no real idea as to what the auditioning process is really like. But as for making the business look easy, I'd say it does just the opposite. Before the days of Connie Fisher, I think a lot of people just assumed that everyone went straight out of drama school onto the west end. Shows like this prove that you can have as good a voice as Sarah and yet only ever get the chance to play children, or that even people who have had a lead role in a UK tour like Rachel can be out of work, or that someone like Ashley who has had four years training can get virtually no parts at all.

Really, if the professionals are so against these shows, perhaps they could take a stand and stop auditioning. Plenty of them have done awfully well out of them so far. I recently read a post on another board by an actress who is totally against these kind of shows, but did audition for Maria anyway, "just to see what it was like". Of course, I'm sure that had she made it to the live shows, she wouldn't have bothered to go through with it, seeing as she only auditioned out of curiosity... rolleyes.gif

#65 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

that sing-off was absolutely amazing!  Both acted beautifully and hopefully showed the viewers just how good the professionals are.

#66 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

I take it someone will post the result here later? cool.gif

#67 Guest_itsmebaby_*

Guest_itsmebaby_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(Poppy @ May 3 2008, 10:25 PM) View Post
Yay!

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone from the rest of the UK think the Isle of Man are really sad for changing its name to the 'Isle of Sam'? It was cute for about 10 seconds, and now I just feel robbed of my national identity! Although if I got famous and they changed it to the Isle of Poppy, I wouldn't complain...

Yeah it's made a tacky place even more downmarket by cheapening itself by such stunt rebranding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users