• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

The entire working class population of the mid 19th century was not suffering from malnutrition and they would have all been of various sizes.

I don't believe that a Nancy would necessarily be very thin.  

If you recall the BBC adaptation over Christmas, Timothy Spall was playing Fagin and he is hardly svelte.

Physical size is only partly dependent on calorific intake - sometimes genetics and hormones play a part.

Let us not worry about Jodie's size too much

#22 Guest_Lesley_*

Guest_Lesley_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 7 2008, 12:07 PM) View Post
The entire working class population of the mid 19th century was not suffering from malnutrition and they would have all been of various sizes.

I don't believe that a Nancy would necessarily be very thin.  

If you recall the BBC adaptation over Christmas, Timothy Spall was playing Fagin and he is hardly svelte.

Physical size is only partly dependent on calorific intake - sometimes genetics and hormones play a part.

Well put!  That's half the problem with this industry at the moment!  At least none of the girls are size 0, and look like real women!

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 7 2008, 04:46 PM) View Post
Well put!  That's half the problem with this industry at the moment!  At least none of the girls are size 0, and look like real women!

It's a problem in the industry because people are constantly told they have to lose weight, I have been to many auditions where girls have come out crying because they have been told they are too big to be cast in the show. And they were a size 10.

As for Jodie - yes, she is too big. At least in accordance to how Lionel Bart and those connected to him at the time of the original production viewed the casting of Nancy. They pictured a slim, even waif like creature. Not someone definitely overweight.

#24 Guest_Lesley_*

Guest_Lesley_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 8 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post
It's a problem in the industry because people are constantly told they have to lose weight, I have been to many auditions where girls have come out crying because they have been told they are too big to be cast in the show. And they were a size 10.

As for Jodie - yes, she is too big. At least in accordance to how Lionel Bart and those connected to him at the time of the original production viewed the casting of Nancy. They pictured a slim, even waif like creature. Not someone definitely overweight.

Perfect fuel for eating disorders then!  I can understand it to a part, looking good and also being healthy enough to maintain 8 shows a week, but some people's bodies, just can't be that skinny.  My hips for example will never be smaller than a size 10!!  We need good role models.  At least the show is doing that, in that Jodie seems to be the 'people's' favourite!

#25 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 7 2008, 01:07 PM) View Post

Amen! I think Jodie should win, as I think she ticks more boxes than the others- she's not perfect but none of them are!

Back to topic:

Sadly I think the winners will be ALW and Cameron Mackintosh, not the person voted for by the public. I think it could be a poisoned chalice- Connie Fisher has not had the best run since leaving SOM (and I liked her so I'm not bitching before someone comments!) and we are yet to see how Lee Mead, Susan McFadden and the guy playing Danny, who I can't remember the name of, fare when they leave Joseph and Grease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users