- - - - -

Jesse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
189 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_atagirl_*

Guest_atagirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

Actually I think Jessie is great- she's fresh and slighty raw and unspoilt by too much musical theatre training. So what if she sings out of the side of her mouth sometimes?- so does Barbra Streisand.

Having said that I thought that Sam was amazing on Saturday and Ashley should have been the one to go. Couldn't understand the decision to get rid of Sarah.

Anyway- I hope Jessie does win- despite all your uncharitable comments- and not getting into Drama School means nothing- most professionals were turned down at some point by someone- it's what the job is all about.

JESSIE TO WIN RA RA RA

#12 MaisieM

MaisieM

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(atagirl @ May 6 2008, 08:25 AM) View Post
Actually I think Jessie is great- she's fresh and slighty raw and unspoilt by too much musical theatre training. So what if she sings out of the side of her mouth sometimes?- so does Barbra Streisand.

Having said that I thought that Sam was amazing on Saturday and Ashley should have been the one to go. Couldn't understand the decision to get rid of Sarah.

Anyway- I hope Jessie does win- despite all your uncharitable comments- and not getting into Drama School means nothing- most professionals were turned down at some point by someone- it's what the job is all about.

JESSIE TO WIN RA RA RA

The singing out of the side of the mouth I suppose we can learn to live with but the terrible cockney accent?  No, not a chance.  Unless she can master a cockney accent (and let's face it, it's not one of the most difficult one to do!) then she shouldn't get the part.  Anyone aiming to be a professional actress should be able to do a variety of accents and regional dialects.  The fact that she can't, strongly suggests that she needs some training and fast.  To be turned down by three drama schools when she can obviously sing as well as she can, indicates that her acting and dancing are dire.  This is not being uncharitable, it's being logical!
"I just want to have fun while I'm young.  After all, I am only 17"

#13 Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*

Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

There's no way she can play Nancy with that awful cockney accent.  Her acting is also terrible and her singing is maybe enough for the chorus but not for a leading part, she can hold a note but sings flat for most of the time.

#14 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(MaisieM @ May 6 2008, 09:06 AM) View Post
Unless she can master a cockney accent (and let's face it, it's not one of the most difficult one to do!)

unless your name is dick van dyke wink.gif

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#15 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

They would have to rework the show so that Nancy was of Irish immigrant stock

I see nothing in her performances so far that would indicate she can develop a proper accent

Even in 'fings' she was given the line about 'Dixieland' allowing her to avoid having to do the East End thing...

#16 Guest_rammy_*

Guest_rammy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(atagirl @ May 6 2008, 07:25 AM) View Post

JESSIE TO WIN RA RA RA

At last!!! Just when i had given up hope of finding someone on here who shares my views on Jessie!
Cant understand why everyone on here cant see what a talent she really is..... JESSIE TO WIN RA RA RA  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

#17 Guest_Reg_*

Guest_Reg_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

She is truly awful imo.  Kind of pretty but can't do the cockney accent at all wich is the whole point of being cast as Nancy. Her singing is quite weak.

I smell a rat.  The pannel and the lord have decided that she will be the winner just because it will make the perfect cinderella story.  The pretty girl rejected from several drama schols who gets a starring role in tha West End.

#18 atagirl123

atagirl123

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

The whole getting 'rejected from Drama school' is a load of old guff. The BBC love to hang their hopes on the most tenuous hooks - we don't know which drama schools she was rejected by- they may have thought she was too young, or their intake was full- or it may have been 1 drama class at her local school. I don't know ANY actors who haven't been rejected by someone, somewhere, at some time! Most actors audition for at least two or three schools before they finally get a place.

Besides which, going to Drama school is no certain sign of talent or potential- hence hundreds of unemployable young actors graduating every year who were only at their Drama college to make up the quotas. It works both ways and many good performers can be overlooked in the audition process.

Don't believe everything they tell you on the telly. Forget talent, forget musical theatre training- the girl who wins will be the one who gets the most votes from the little old ladies who pick up the phone.

But I still think Jessie is the most likeable and is currently still untainted by tired musical theatre tricks.

#19 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(atagirl123 @ May 7 2008, 09:33 AM) View Post
But I still think Jessie... [edited] ...is currently still untainted by tired musical theatre tricks.

I don't know what that means?  Surely not tired tricks like posture, vocal (i.e. accent) control, skill with movement onstage ...?

As I've said before, I think she has a lot of talent but needs training!  I also think she's going to win, which may do her no great favors in the future if she can't eradicate the bad habits she has and develop the discipline I think she needs.
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#20 Guest_Guest_Jon_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jon_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:10 AM

Yes, she needs lots of training.  At the moment she is so unprepared that she wouldn't last one week in the show.  If she wins, and she'll probably will, her ridiculous cockney accent will have everybody in stitches during the performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users