Jesse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
189 replies to this topic

#161 Guest_Emma_*

Guest_Emma_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 29 2008, 11:40 PM) View Post
Interesting points Emma and I agree with a lot of them. I realise your theatre is a business argument...but to what extent do we go down to a common denominator for the public's view and sacrifice artistic value for it? That's the ever underlying question I think that commercial theatre has to ask itself...

I agree that having trained at drama school doesn't automatically give you more right to a role. It's whoever who can do the job best. However, training establishments exist for a reason and there would be little point ito them if producers ended up hiring the majority of casts "off the street" so to speak. Not everyone that goes to drama school will be an employable or a "good" actor but in terms of the well-renowned schools - there will be certain traits that will assist the trained actor to survive in the industry and be employable as a company member. I think in terms of the board, people want succesfully cast actors to have "earned it" in some way, and for many that includes having learnt your craft at drama school - which is now being promoted by Equity, Spotlight, etc as the best way forward to have an attempt at a succesful career in the performing arts (ever since rep has basically dissappeared).

I completely agree with all of this, and would always encourage people to train if they can (although would argue that drama schools sometimes miss talent and there are good reasons why some people don't train).  I think there is an argument that the BBC has more of a responsibility to suggest to people watching these shows that training is good and that most roles don't just magically get handed to you, but require years and years of effort (and lack of work even after you get one good role!)

Interestingly, the word is that the frontrunners for 'Spring Awakening' are all around 16 (or even 15!) and mostly untrained.  But I bet they will be given more support than the 17/18 year old 'IDA' contestants, who seem to be thrown to the wolves a bit and subject to some fairly cruel criticism.

I guess I was just making the point that it doesn't make sense to be angry at commercial theatre because it's money making rather than an artistic enterprise.  To me, it would be better to direct anger elsewhere - eg at West End theatre owners who are demanding public money for upkeep of their buildings while packing even smaller playhouses with money making musicals, or at the government for failing to provide enough support for subsidised theatre so forcing producers to try to make money where they can, or at the BBC for failing to show the reality of life as a performer, and what it really means for these girls to be giving up their education at 17 or 18 and moving straight into trying to make a living as a performer.

#162 Guest_Emma_*

Guest_Emma_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(Emma @ May 30 2008, 10:13 AM) View Post
To me, it would be better to direct anger elsewhere - eg at West End theatre owners who are demanding public money for upkeep of their buildings while packing even smaller playhouses with money making musicals

(Forgot to mention why I think this is so much worse than producers trying to make money - it's because two or three theatre owners basically have a monopoly on the West End and completely control what comes in there, so IMHO have more of a responsibility to uphold artistic integrity - especially if they want public money!  

In contrast, no producer has a monopoly - it is perfectly open to anyone to put on a play in a theatre and even in the West End if they can raise the money)

#163 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

Absolutely, I totally agree.

"I think there is an argument that the BBC has more of a responsibility to suggest to people watching these shows that training is good and that most roles don't just magically get handed to you, but require years and years of effort (and lack of work even after you get one good role!)."

Yes, again, very true.

In regards to Spring Awakening - I think it's dangerous to get a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds to belt out rock songs 8 shows a week. Screams disaster to me. Most voices aren't ready to sing that sort of sound anyway and that age and even if they are, most definitely not mature vocally enough to keep it up for months on end regularly without damaging themselves. Why not hire someone at 20/21 who has had some experience/training but looks 15/16? Plenty of those people around...

#164 Guest_j.parsons@upcmail.ie_*

Guest_j.parsons@upcmail.ie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

it was obvious that jesse was the one. she has that magical ability to soar above mediocrity and create a memory to savour. long may she continue to spread the joy passion and truth. beautiful spirit.

#165 Guest_Eva_*

Guest_Eva_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(j.parsons@upcmail.ie @ May 31 2008, 09:47 PM) View Post
it was obvious that jesse was the one. she has that magical ability to soar above mediocrity and create a memory to savour. long may she continue to spread the joy passion and truth. beautiful spirit.

Er--- obviously it wasn't obvious that Jessie was the one---actually she had the magical ability to bore me to death---

#166 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Unfortunately I was not a fan of Jessie, although she did clearly sing As Long As He Needs Me better, can that be sustained? Jessie is good, I'm not taking that away but there is something in her that I don't think is Nancy at all. And Jodie is the traditional Nancy. If anyone was labouring under the illusion that the public would vote for a 'different' Nancy then more fool them... people like tradition.

Also Jessie going up to her family at the end when the results were announced, yes she was devastated but it seemed she was a bit like 'Ugh, I can't believe she's won.' Oh and there was a comment about Jodie quietly getting through each week? Every week she got more and more over the top lol!

They all know most of them will get work.. so why on earth are they so upset. They have a huge audition process in front of ALW and CM do the finalists think they will just go home and get a day job? I don't think so...........

That being said, Jodie had my vote (after Rachel went) and I think she was always going to win it.. personally.

PS. Jessie has some great performances, but a lot of the time it's faked emotion for me and quite frankly rather boring.

x

#167 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

After that much hype, and the nerves and the tension, not to mention the huge gap between the two shows. I'm sure Jessie's crying at the end was just a release of emotions that had built up over the evening.

#168 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(ashcass @ Jun 1 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post
After that much hype, and the nerves and the tension, not to mention the huge gap between the two shows. I'm sure Jessie's crying at the end was just a release of emotions that had built up over the evening.

Quite agree. half the studio was awash with tears. I'd have cried if I had all that hype from the powers that be and still lost. Well done jodie and good luck to jessie: take the advice on board this time

#169 Jessie

Jessie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

I was at the live show last night, Jessie's dad had a right go at John Barrowman & stormed off, but JB said something to him, it looked like he was pointing out that one of them had to lose, and her dad disappeared. Shouting at John Barrowman was not popular with the audience!

#170 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(Jessie @ Jun 1 2008, 05:36 PM) View Post
I was at the live show last night, Jessie's dad had a right go at John Barrowman & stormed off, but JB said something to him, it looked like he was pointing out that one of them had to lose, and her dad disappeared. Shouting at John Barrowman was not popular with the audience!

So according to Jessie's Dad--we who voted in our thousands for Jodie only did so because JB thought she wasn't ready for a West End Role and needed more Training. I don't know about anyone else but the people I knew who voted made up their own minds ---Jessie must have found her Dad's behavior very embarrassing---I feel sorry for her---however, Sam and herself behaved with great dignity when they lost--which is more than you can say for Jessie's Dad---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users