The Ladykillers

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_funny haha_*

Guest_funny haha_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

Classic Ealing comedy (and I love my Elaing comedies). Superb source material. For many it will hit the right mark, I am sure. Great Christmas fare.

#12 Guest_funny haha_*

Guest_funny haha_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

View Postfunny haha, on 07 June 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

(and I love my Elaing comedies).

obviously Ealing, not Elaing. Must be the excitement rushing straight to my finger tips.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

I was prepared to dismiss this idea as a non starter but Capaldi - yes, he can do it.

#14 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

I see Linehan got into a bit of a stop when they invited him onto the R4 Today show and he was confronted by the ferocious attack dog that is Mikey Billington and invited to justify his decision to adapt the film. Apparently he thought Today should have just fawned over him and given him lots of free publicity for the show ... must have confused it with the Alan Titchmarsh Show.

http://www.guardian....han?INTCMP=SRCH

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I heard it and it was a most unusual interview - the interviewee refusing to engage in argument. Quite refreshing actually.

#16 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

:lol:

I don't have much sympathy with either side but he and some of the commenters are correct about the Today programme; I might give it a listen out of interest.

It's nice to be quite well-known and have access to public platforms for your gripes. Just before the Linehan thing I'd read a long article by Ian Rankin all about the delay in receiving his postal copy of the latest Radiohead album, as a result of which he seemed to be saying he's now never going to listen to them ever again. I look forward to reading BBC News 24 sports reporter Amanda Davies's rant about being served a glass of warm white wine.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#17 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 June 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

I heard it and it was a most unusual interview - the interviewee refusing to engage in argument. Quite refreshing actually.

As the ususal interviewee tactic on that programme is evasion I suppose refusal is mildly refreshing though whether that offsets the resulting impression that he is an arrogant twerp is debatable. I suppose he was looking for a BBC question cira 1950 like "Is there anything you want to say to us Mr. Linehan ?". How did Mikey do ? Did they bring up his famous denunciation of the RSC Nicholas Nickleby ?

#18 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I listened to this section of the show, and can quite understand why he was miffed. He was basically asked 'why bother making a play version? It can't possibly be as good as the original film', which, if you've just spent a year of your life working on something, is rather a kick in the teeth. Especially when your brief when you were invited was 'to talk about the difficulties inherent in adapting a film for the stage'.

I might well give this a shot, now I've seen that the excellent Capaldi is in it. Not a fan of the original film (it was meant to be a comedy? Really?) so the stage adaptation isn't having to live up to expectations.

#19 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

I made a trip to Liverpool's Playhouse (a lovely little theatre) today for The Ladykillers matinee.  The best time I've had in the theatre for a long while.  The set is amazing and the production has some great stage effects throughout.  The entire cast is consistently funny and I watched the whole thing with a smile on my face.  Marcia Warren even adds a bit of emotion as Mrs Wilberforce.  This will be a hit in London, no doubt.  It's so cleverly staged, the cast are perfect and it's such a fun time at the theatre.
And, just to make you London folk jealous, I paid £18 for my third row stalls ticket!
I have never seen the film so can't make comparisons but I'd be surprised if someone couldn't enjoy this splendid show!

#20 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

Saw this tonight.  Loved it.  So well written, cast and acted, a real treat.

Good luck to all involved for the opening on Weds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users