93 replies to this topic

#21 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Really well acted, especially by Clive Rowe.  Capaldi and Warren excellent too.  And very well designed.

The adaptation felt... so almost there.  Maybe it was a bit longer than it needed to be (did we really need to know how One-Round got his nickname, or did we need the Major's... habits known).  But when it really got going, it got a bit darker than I might have expected.

Row B of the stalls, and I managed to pick up that pill afterwards!
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#22 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostMichael H, on 07 December 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

Row B of the stalls, and I managed to pick up that pill afterwards!

Is it a high stage? Just booked for Row B, wondering what it's like?
Hasa diga eebowai

#23 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

View Postultimatetheatrefan, on 07 December 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

Is it a high stage? Just booked for Row B, wondering what it's like?

Generally very good - but looking up a lot.  There are lots of different raised levels on the stage, and quite a rake on most of these.  Looking at the front door, though, will probably give you motion sickness.

There is one little bit on the floor halfway through the first act which you may miss some of sitting in row A or in row B if you're short, but you'll still get the general idea.  (Anyone who saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Palladium will get the idea).  There is another low down bit later on in act 1, but I had a very good view of that.

Otherwise, it's a thrill being so close to such brilliant actors.  Within spitting distance of Capaldi - and the more I think about it, the more I realise just what a tough part he has, with such a huge amount of verbose, but really well-formed, dialogue.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#24 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

Good review in the Guardian though it does look as if quite a few jokes are given away.  :angry:

http://www.guardian....hael-billington

#25 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

The show is absolutely fantastic and hilarious, but  Michael Billington's review is atrocious. It is basically him harping on about how he was right to have said it was a terrible idea to do a Ladykillers play even though he has to admit the show is great, followed by a long list of spoilers which ruins almost all of the best bits of the show, which are often as funny as they are because they are unexpected.

If you go unspoiled, you'll enjoy it much more!

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

I saw the film for my first time last night on tv when Film4 showed it in the Xmas Day early evening peaktime slot, tying in with the Liverpool stage show currently in the West End. I loved the landlady and found her funny throughout because she played it so straight - I had a number of great aunts who were exactly like her.

#27 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Saw this last night with my husband and son and we all loved it.  Son (22) has a vague memory of the film, so pretty much came to this fresh; even having seen the film there were some gems in the play.  Love Clive Rowe, been a big fan of his since his Nicely Nicely at the National years ago.  Hadn't realised how many faces I would recognise in the cast. All did a fabulous job - and, for a Monday / Bank Holiday / January evening, it looked like almost a full house.  I was row B (GILT offer for Jan tix) and missed a teeny bit of the "floor" action, but I prefer that to the distraction of sitting further back behind fidgets.

Having spent Christmas with 78 year old Ma-in-law I could relate in many ways to Mrs Wilberforce and her pals.

Great evening.

Holy crap!  Have just read that review - why give away some of the best surprises in the show!  Unfair!  Unnecessary!  Wow, I'm glad I hadn't read that before I went.

Edited by AnnT, 03 January 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#28 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Anyone know the approximate running time? Going tomorrow and was wondering what time I'll be out of the matinee! :)
Hasa diga eebowai

#29 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

View Postultimatetheatrefan, on 03 January 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Anyone know the approximate running time? Going tomorrow and was wondering what time I'll be out of the matinee! :)

Went to the matinee last week and it was over at 5:20pm.

I got day seats for this which was very easy, 10 go on sale at 10am for 10 though it is only 1 per person.

#30 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Big dayseat queue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users