93 replies to this topic

#71 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I saw this last night for the first time and thought it was excellent. The physical production and the way the revolving house is used is very clever I thought. Although, it did break down very near the end last night and two people eventually pushed it round into position for the final scene! The cast are excellent, especially John Gordon Sinclair and Angela Thorne. The script is really funny and there are some very good stage effects. Definitely one to see if you missed it last time around.

#72 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

It's a damn good night out
Let's wish it well, really well, as tricky time to open but no doubt Nica will help, I bet she's mending seats as we speak

#73 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I missed this one first time around and saw this new cast earlier in the week, it's great fun! The set is amazing, and although I'd love to have seen Peter Capaldi I thought John Gordon Sinclair suited his role very well. The whole cast are great, Ralf Little particularly excellent.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#74 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Really excited for this, booked for next week with lovetheatre with a complimentary glass of champagne included. Has it been a full house when people have been? Glad it is back as missed it when it was in town last so looking forward to it.

#75 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I missed it too so happy it's returned! (And the Vaudeville could do with a hit...)
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#76 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I saw the show on tour and heard that the West End production has a revolve. How does that fit in the show and what revolves?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#77 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

The house interior revolves so that the other side is its facade (which flew down on tour, and acted as the show curtain). The train tunnel is also on the revolve, and so is the roof with the chimneys, both of which were also flown down on tour.

#78 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Cheers that's interesting. The side of the house/ roof swiveled around on tour I think. It's a great set.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#79 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I had a great time at this last night, very funny & the cast are all fantastic. My only issue was that I couldn't tell what Con O'Neill was saying half the time (He's supposed to be Romanian & has a very thick accent.) Ralf Little & Simon Day in particular were really funny, and they all had the air of a cast really having fun. Especially when a door got stuck & they had to improvise a bit as it was a scene when almost every character had to make an entrance; this only added to the hilarity!
John Gordon Sinclair was very slick & Angela Thorne so sweet (although she did fluff her lines a little bit, but that was kind of in character for a dotty old lady.)
The set is really impressive, loved the the wonky old house with a life of its own, although I think it was due to the revolve that the door got stuck! The heist scene is cleverly done and made everyone laugh (won't spoil it.)
A really fun night out.
One thing puzzled me though, why don't all the "ladies" who come to tea get a bow?

#80 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd heard about the door sticking on the WOSOuting tweets - was it the front door or the bedroom door? I'd be interested to hear how they improvised around it, a couple of minor things went wrong when I went and I was impressed how they dealt with them.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users