93 replies to this topic

#81 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

It was the front door. opening into the Mrs W's house set.

Most of them just had to step onto the set from the side of the stage, just next to the door! At times one of the actors would have a go at opening it onstage, but they didn't have much luck. After a while they exaggerated trying to let people in & failing, or actors would sidle on and sort of go "ta-da, I'm here" while the others reacted like "where did you come from?"  Ralf Little got a big laugh when he was asked by another character to answer the door and he rolled his eyes at the audience and said, "I'll TRY...!" At another point John G S had to say "why don't you leave by the side door?" to someone about to make his exit.
They coped very well, a bit of hamming up but they all stayed in character. The audience were in fits - especially when we could see a shadowy figure trying to mend said door through the 'glass'.
It was very well-handled, to the point where you weren't sure if it was scripted like in 1M2G, but I'm sure it wasn't.
And it was fixed after the interval.

#82 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

That's really interesting, thank you - it must have been a genuine accident as there was nothing like that going on my 3 July matinee. It sounds as though it really added to the evening, especially given they stayed in character.

There were a few mishaps during my visit but nothing as obvious - One Round's 'cello bridge fell out, Ralf Little picked it up and wagged his finger at him, and while other characters were talking he looked in character like he was trying to see if it would still work!

Perhaps you could clear up something I wasn't sure of - I think it's deliberate and part of the script, but before the train goes past for the first time does the Professor struggle to keep the picture frame upright? He tried to correct it a few times and said something along the lines of "Lovely house... that's a little annoying though, eh?" about it.

I guess with such an intricate set there are bound to be some issues, it's great to hear that the actors bring it into the story!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#83 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yes, the picture was straightened several times and the line was the same, so that must be scripted. I wondered about that too!

#84 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I suppose they're trying to emphasise how rickety the place is before the train goes past. Thanks again!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#85 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I was there too on the night the door wouldn't budge - it was hilarious and really added something extra to the play. I also noticed that a bit of the balustrade came down during one of the moments they were trying to open door. Well done to the cast for staying in character and trying to work it into the story! Loved the play overall, very funny and was well impressed by the set. found it slightly hard to understand the old lady at times but had no problem with the Romanian character - he reminded me of Gru from Despicable Me!

#86 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yes, I had forgotten the balustrade! Also Mrs W almost knocked a cup of tea over at one point.

I have the feeling this show will never quite be the same each performance.

#87 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Saw the matinee yesterday, got tickets from lovetheatre in the upper circle for £20 with a free glass of champagne (priced at £9 if you buy it!) so great value. Really enjoyed the show and quite different from things I usually go to see. Thought all the cast were great and some really funny moments.

Set was absolutely fantastic, revolve worked well, really impressive. Would happily go back to see it again. Did miss a few things said by the Romanian (?) guy but probably because we were far back. Does anyone know who plays the other old women who come to the house as they didn't come on for the bows, are they backstage people?

#88 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

The other old women are played by the understudies for the main cast (or they were in the first run at any rate)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#89 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

At my local venue, on the tour this spring, they included some local amateur performers.

#90 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I believe some of them are men - members of the crew and yeah on tour, they auditioned people.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users