#1 D. D. Cupps

D. D. Cupps

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

Baby – congratulations it’s a musical!

London fringe revival of Maltbyand Shire’s broadway hit

Three couples, each newly expecting achild, have different but familiar reactions. Lizzie and Danny are universityjuniors who have only just moved in together. Athletic Pam and her sportinginstructor husband Nick have had some trouble conceiving. Arlene, already themother of three grown daughters, is unsure of what to do, contemplatingabortion while her husband Alan is thrilled with the thought of a new baby.

Join them as theyexperience the emotional stresses and triumphs, the desperate lows and thecomic highs that accompany the anticipation and arrival of a baby.

From the writers of The Grand Tour, Starting Here Starting Now, Closer Than Ever, Bigand Take Flight, and the lyricist of Ain't Misbehavin', Song and Dance and Miss Saigon.

"A charming musical... with alovely score" (New York Times)

A sparkling cast of nine featuring Liz Izen and Paul Tate is helmed by veteranfringe director David Phipps-Davis, returning to the Barons Court Theatrefollowing his UK premiere production of the musical Colette Collage.

Theproduction runs from Tuesday 28th June to Saturday 9thJuly for 11 performances only (Tuesday – Saturday at 7.30pm and one matinee on9th July at 3.00pm).

Cast: CiaraLouise Baxter, Michael Fellows, Liz Izen, Chloe Nicolson, Lucy-Jane Quinlan,Paul Tate,  Claire Taylor Smith, GuyWarren-Thomas and Louise Willoughby

Full details are available at www.imperialproductions.org.Tickets can be booked in advance (strongly recommended due to the small size ofthe venue) on 020 8932 4747.

#2 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

Wonderful wonderful score. A production of this is long overdue.

#3 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

I saw a concert production of this show in Los Angeles a couple of years ago where the three ladies were Faith Prince, Alice Ripley and Kerry Butler.  "I Want it All" just about blew the roof off the building.

Great score, great show.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#4 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

I'm going to the first performance tonight!!!

#5 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Great little show at a very intimate venue. Absolutely love the score, it's even better seeing it in context!

Get yourself along to the Barons Court theatre to see this little gem.

#6 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for the info. I am seeing this show tonight!! It sounds as if it'll be worth the ballet ticket I gave up to see this show.

The only thing about Barons Court is that I always half expect to see a rat nuzzling up my ankle during the performance.  Having said this , I still enjoy  their crumbling-downness.

Can't wait! (Baby, not rat).

#7 Guest_Detritis_*

Guest_Detritis_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

This was a terrible production! Absolutely terrible!

#8 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostDetritis, on 05 July 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

This was a terrible production! Absolutely terrible!

Can you give reasons why you didn't enjoy it?

#9 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

I saw this show last week (I think). Oh, I don't know what mark to give to this show...  I found the material very good. The score, script especially the inclusion of a middle-age pregnancy were smart and well mapped out. And how they managed to stage it in such a tiny space with only 4 cubes as props is a mystery and certainly earns my respect.

However, I found the 4 young performers somewhat lacking in charm.  To put it more simply, I found them boring.  Whenever they were on stage (if you could call it so), I found myself longing for Mr. Tate, whom I thought gave the strongest performance, to appear instead.

I wish to see it with different actors playing the two young couples.  They could be jucier if played by actors who know how to milk the role.

It's just my humble opinion. Please don't be offended. I must emphasise that I still enjoyed the show, and big grins never left my mouth (cheeks?) taking in all the songs and movements, which is always a good sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users