• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 timbawundakin

timbawundakin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Last night I wasnt atall surprised to see Ashley in the sing off but I eally thought her performance was way better than Niamhs. Her voice was stronger and she sang it well. Niamhs voice became slightly squeaky halfway through the song.
ALW was just desperate to get rid of Ashley. Although her attitude stinks at times you gotta admit she wasnt the worst performer left out of the remaining 6.
Thoughts????

#2 Guest_Emma_*

Guest_Emma_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

It was ridiculous to get rid of Ashley after that sing off, which after all is the only opportunity on this badly designed show to demonstrate how people can actually sing musical theatre songs.  If they sang musical theatre songs all the way through, people like Niamh and Jessie would have gone weeks ago, surely.  Ashley showed a lovely, dark, musical theatre voice in the sing-off that we hadn't really seen before and finally showed why she deserved to be a contender.

Re her attitude, I thought her contempt for ALW was quite obvious but completely justified, especially after showing how much better than Niamh she was last night.  I think that is the only reason why she has seemed to have an attitude - because she has had to defend herself so often against frequently undeserved criticism.  

She'll do well, though, I'm sure.  I just think it's a shame it took her and the BBC until her sing-off to show what she can really do, and why she got one of the top scholarships to Mountview.

And I still think Francesca for Nancy!

#3 Guest_Emma_*

Guest_Emma_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

And don't even get me started on Niamh's performance in the song with the Olivers.  Absolutely dreadful - so fake and shallow in terms of acting, and her voice was so forgettable and lightweight.

I also wonder if it says something about the microphones and other BBC studio gadgetry that it's only when you hear girls singing a duet or singing with the Olivers that you can really judge their voice.  When you hear them on their own, there seems to be so much used to make them sound good and amplify them to a ridiculous level that it's almost impossible to judge how good they actually are.  I don't know about this though.

#4 timbawundakin

timbawundakin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Emma @ May 12 2008, 10:29 AM) View Post
And don't even get me started on Niamh's performance in the song with the Olivers.  Absolutely dreadful - so fake and shallow in terms of acting, and her voice was so forgettable and lightweight.

I also wonder if it says something about the microphones and other BBC studio gadgetry that it's only when you hear girls singing a duet or singing with the Olivers that you can really judge their voice.  When you hear them on their own, there seems to be so much used to make them sound good and amplify them to a ridiculous level that it's almost impossible to judge how good they actually are.  I don't know about this though.

I agree with you there. When ALW said that Niamh was showing her maternal side I nearly choked on my dinner laughing. Yes she performed well with the kids but maternal she was NOT. How the hell can he describe her as maternal towards them, shes way too young . More like a big sister figure. I like Niamh and shes a good singer , looks lovely and acts well but Nancy she is not Im afraid. She too cutesy to be Nancy.

#5 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(timbawundakin @ May 12 2008, 09:44 AM) View Post
I agree with you there. When ALW said that Niamh was showing her maternal side I nearly choked on my dinner laughing. Yes she performed well with the kids but maternal she was NOT. How the hell can he describe her as maternal towards them, shes way too young . More like a big sister figure. I like Niamh and shes a good singer , looks lovely and acts well but Nancy she is not Im afraid. She too cutesy to be Nancy.

I agree with you there. Niamh looked more like a kid singing with the other kids when she sang with the boys. Also, her voice compared unfavorably with the boy who did the solo part.

#6 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

I have been thinking----cheer cheer---it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks because Jessie is going to win. They will then work hard on her---she will debut in the show--it'll get mixed reviews--loads of folk will go to see it because they saw her on TV and for no other reason--she will still sound Irish because some folk simply can't do accents---anyhow--now I know who Rowan Atkinson is and that he is playing Fagin I think she show will be totally strange ----

Ashley shouldn't have been removed but the voters are influenced by ALW's comments and for some reason he loathed her right away. She would have been a great Nancy---instead of a mediocre one---

#7 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

I'm afraid I've never been impressed with Ashley ~ one thing I will say though she is brave to put up with ALW's harsh comments directed right at her face. Somehow his criticisms seemed really evil to me. Anyway Niamh is no Nancy ~ when she sings it's like she's in some trance ~ I get no deep feeling from her although I will grant she is very attractive with a nice-sounding voice.

#8 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE(Elle @ May 13 2008, 01:56 PM) View Post
I'm afraid I've never been impressed with Ashley ~ one thing I will say though she is brave to put up with ALW's harsh comments directed right at her face. Somehow his criticisms seemed really evil to me. Anyway Niamh is no Nancy ~ when she sings it's like she's in some trance ~ I get no deep feeling from her although I will grant she is very attractive with a nice-sounding voice.

It's a shame Ashley hadn't sung as well throughout the competition as she did when she sand ALAHNM right at the end!!  Her disappointment and anger at Andrew's comments (granted some were a bit too harsh) were obvious and she should have been a bit more gracious and professional in defeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users