- - - - -

The Part Of Oliver....how Is It Decided?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#11 timbawundakin

timbawundakin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

I want Sam to win the part.
Hes the best Oliver.

#12 Guest_smudge_*

Guest_smudge_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

The selection of the boys has been a bit puzzling. No fulltime London theatre school boys were picked as far as I know, though I believe several hugely talented ones were short listed. I suppose, given that the BBC are providing 12 weeks training for these boys, to have selected boys who are already getting a professional training would have been a waste - after all they are going to need a pool of scores of good kids for this show and they know they can rely on the Stage Schools. Also they need to be seen to select from all over the UK - (not sure why they left Scotland out).

ALW said he didn't want a 'doll faced' Mark Lester type so looking conventionally appealing and attractive definitely seems to have ruled a lot of boys out of the final 12. Two with the most of that kind of appeal have yet to be selected for the semi final. I wonder if ALW/CM were consciously trying to give nerdy-looking types a break - if so, good on them, and why not? Some of them can certainly deliver the goods. (I'm not sure it's a very commercial decision though). The Lord may have chosen' in his own image and likeness'. After all, as a young, musical theatre mad, teenager in 1960, ,  he may have yearned for a role in the original production while cloistered away at Westminster and, by selecting as he has, he may be subconsciously giving his young self that break. Discuss.

Harry is a definite for the final 3 I would think with his excellent track record for CM. He will be great. Although he is coming across in the show as more of a Dodger and selling everything I'm sure he can tone it down and be more restrained. As for the others, who knows? About half of them live close enough to London to have parts in the gang anyway but for the 6 who don't I doubt if they will get paid accommodation to be in the show unless they are cast as Oliver/Dodger.
They all seem to have had a fantastic experience and when it ends for 4 of them on Saturday I hope it is handled very sensitively. Going back to school on Monday could be a bit of an anti climax when everyone has seen you get so near and yet so far. For the  remaining Nancies there will be other leading roles but if they live out in the sticks the best some of these boys can expect is parts in school plays, youth theatre or amateur stuff. I also don't think the boys really know what they have got to do to get chosen now. It all seems a bit arbitrary. They all seem to be trying really hard. I imagine the final selection of the last boy for the semi final is made today, for broadcast on Saturday. Let's hope the BBC have come up with a way to make this humane and that the 4 who are going home can do so with dignity, feeling proud of themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users