58 replies to this topic

#11 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'll shout you nearer the time lol.  Well my son gets slightly obsessive over things and once he latches on to something he's like a child possessed.  He lacks confidence and starting Sat drama classes has done him the world of good although he thinks he might want to be behind stage at the next performance, which is great.  He's currently got the Les Mis bug and is slightly miffed he's not coming to see Alfie (fingers crossed he's well) on Sat.  
I'm hoping we have a good night with Ramin.  Have you heard his CD?  I know it is sold out (even tried Dress Circle to no avail).  I'd like to get it if possible

#12 RebeccaG

RebeccaG

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

Does anyone know why Scarlett Strallen is no longer a special guest? I think she would have been absolutely amazing!!! x

#13 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

She's doing Mary Poppins in Sydney.

#14 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

Anyone know how it went in Bristol last night?

#15 glossie

glossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

Fantastic is how! Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway - and I guess having front row seats didn't go amiss either! A great choice of songs * from South Pacific to Carousel, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Sunset Boulevard and of course Phantom & LND. Celia Graham was a perfect guest, they had a great rapport in the duets. There were a couple of minor fluffs that he handled with humour, but they just added to the atmosphere, which although not a sold out show by any means, was terrific.

One thing that did surprise me, that probably shouldn't have I suppose, is just how many of the so-called 'fans' talked loudly through all the orchestral sections, as if that didn't matter cos Ramin wasn't on! Some respect, eh?

Oh, and great value programme too, £3.50 complete with a rundown of the songs and their context.

* Oh forgot to mention - a couple of tracks from the new album too!

#16 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Oh Fab. My young son and I are going to see him and Celia at Southampton in a few weeks so happy to hear about the song variety.  Good value program too.  Thanks

#17 WOS Manchester

WOS Manchester

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Theatre reviewer for whatsonstage.com and editor of WOS Northwest, and music reviewer for the Manchester Evening News By day - a lecturer of Film and Media. Fan of Arthur Miller, Willy Russell, Tennesse Williams and the director Sarah Frankcom at the Royal Exchange.

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Here is our review from last night http://t.co/KUEc0FFr
Glenn Meads
Whatsonstage.com Manchester
http://www.whatsonstage.com/manchester

#18 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

Manchester concert was excellent:)  Keep changing my mind about my favourite songs.  Loved the Les Mis, Miss saigon, POTO and LND songs.  He came across as very humble and likeable on stage and stayed behing for ages at the stage door to make sure everyone got to see him.

#19 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

There were several mid-show standing ovations at the Birmingham concert on Saturday, which I've not really seen happen before. I thought it was a very well put together concert, and I enjoyed it far more than the Ruthie Henshall concert by Raymond Gubbay I saw at the same venue.

I thought it was an excellent idea to have a Christine as his special guest, and Celia Graham was brilliant. I did however prefer her singing the Phantom songs as opposed to some of the others she performed. I also didn't really understand why Olivia Archibold was there as an additional guest. She came on, sang two pop songs very well on her own, and went off again. It was a strange interlude.

After I saw Love Never Dies for the last time I didn't expect to see the songs performed again by Ramin, but Celia's rendition of the title song, and Ramin's Til I Hear You Sing brought the house down. It was wonderful.

Overall, I'm so glad I went, as I only booked a ticket half-heartedly but thoroughly enjoyed it. Symphony Hall is such a beautiful venue, which made it all the more enjoyable I think. Ramin came across very well indeed; I'm not surprised he has such a large fanbase. I'm not really a fan of Les Miserables so I won't be going to see him in his forthcoming run, but hope that he appears in something else in the West End relatively soon afterwards so that I can see him again.

#20 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

I have a Rear Circle ticket (£25, but discount available) to sell for Ramin's Southampton concert on 4th Nov. Fri.

After Virgin Trains charged me £43 on the train to Birmingham (yes, to go to Ramin's concert) saying I wasn't travelling with the chlild I paid for (I useed Family&Friends Raild Card), I can no longer afford the £33 return fare to Southampton from London.  Always some hidden fines and charges on British public transport...

Anyway, I reluctanly confess that  Ramin's Birmingham concert didn't really live up to my expectations.  It was very good of course, but somewhat failed to take my breath away.  Having said that, his rendition of Why God, Why made me cry so much that my shrit front got very damp. I also liked the way he sang Bring Him Home (real emotions in there), POTO (very hastely conducted for some reasons), MotN (easy-listeningish, but a very refreshing take), all of which were sung in different ways from what we are usually acustomed to. But his BHH wasn't technically perfect  which I presume is fair considering this song is quite new to him.  

I was so happy that Celia Graham was the guest,,and she is indeed a very very good singer. However, she didn't seem (to me) that she was really connecting with the audience.  She didn't really open up to us.  Is it only me who felt that way?

Even Ramin, some of the songs just came and went like they were just jobs.  They didn't really leave any impression on me.  

Hearing songs once again from LND was had a huge emotional meaning for me and probably many others in the auditorium, and both Ramin and Celia well earned the standing ovations.

Finally, I too was puzzled why Miss Archbold was there at all.  I did actually enjoyed her songs, but why her?  The only reason I could think of was that she might be considered  a future Chrstine as she can sing and dance classical ballet.

Oh, and I should mention the long long queue at the Stage Door after the show.  It must've been nearly 100 meter's long. I didn't stay to witness if Ramin managed to give autographs to all the fans who were queuing, but it must've taken at least an hour. It always amazes me how well he treats his fans, staying for a long time  to talk to everyone waiting.  Also a compliment to the orderly fans.  A staff member was there to control the flow of the fans, so everything seemed well managed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users