58 replies to this topic

#51 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I do agree with some elements of what the poster mentions in that, whilst not advertised as Musical Theatre, the album and show does smack a bit of trying to hard to be edgy and non theatre. I like the style of music he sings, but for me the album didnt excite.  The bio on his website also shows how keen he (or at least his people) are to move away from the theatre connection.  

His devoted fans would love anything he does, but im not sure it is enough to attract the wider mainstream audience.  His album debuted very well at 16 in the charts, but then dropped to the 60s and now seems to have dropped out of the top 100.  Reminds me of Kerry Ellis last album

#52 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree that he most likely won't be able to attract a wider mainstream audience with the album. While Sony is trying to promote it wherever possible (is there any radio station Ramin hasn't been to lately?) he would need a proper hit single to get the needed attention.

However, I don't think he is trying to move away completely from musical theatre. The album is what he wants to do at this time of his career but he will be back on stage in the West End in the not too distant future I'm sure.
He's been working in theatre solid for the last 10 years so he probably just wants a change for a while. :)

#53 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostSteffi, on 02 May 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Yes, Ramin tweeted which guests will be at which venue (the confirmed ones at least).
I can't remember all details (only that Simon Bailey is doing Glasgow, LouiseDearman is doing a few venues as is Jonathan Ansell). But it's all up on his Twitter.

Thanks for that. Seems I'll have Johnathan and Louise in Birmingham! What a treat!

#54 Ryan Mac

Ryan Mac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

<p>

View PostSteffi, on 03 May 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

However, I don't think he is trying to move away completely from musical theatre.
Well, indeed. He has two musical theatre songs on his album, is singing musical theatre songs and collaborating with musical theatre performers in his concerts and during promotion. None of which he has to do, especially since those who enjoyed the concert were just caught up in his cultish appeal. It would be ridiculous to assume people just have different musical tastes. It's quite clear he hasn't turned his back on anything, and I admire someone who tries their hand at different styles and genres.
It was a very enjoyable night, and I was very impressed with the guitar, piano and banjo playing. With the album there's no real mix up in the orchestrations so it was great to hear more variety behind the songs.
Sorry to hear whooping man is still ruining shows. Thankfully I couldn't really hear him from where I was.

#55 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Southend review including full song list:
http://confessionsof...end-may-4-2012/

On a side note: The whooping guy was quite well behaved in Southend.

#56 cj2468

cj2468

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

I've had to register mainly because I think my daughter and I have spotted the whooping guy!  Is he the guy who always sits in the front row?  We went to see Les Mis three times with Ramin in (owing to my huge love and my dd loves Hadley too).  He was also at Ramin concert at RFH on 1 May.  I havnt normally seen him continually standing up but then we always have sat a few rows back.  But he did stand and whoop after Bring Me Home at the RFH concert.  I cant stand general whooping anyway.  I had someone whooping very loudly behind me right in my ear at Trafalgar square.  But then I'm a very reserved English lady.  On the other hand when I went to see Phantom the other night we sat in the front row and I was the only one standing in the whole of the stalls, much to my dd's embarrassment.
On to the concert, I went to the RFH opening night.  I love his album and I think he likes to dabble in all kinds of music.  He did say he hadnt broken away from theatre and if he was offered a role he would take it.  I really wish they'd bring back Miss Saigon.  I never saw it and I'd love to see Ramin in that.  Instead they revive awful things like Wizard of Oz.  I did find though that the band was too loud and drowned him out a bit.  Also I would have loved a female guest because I love him dueting with romantic stuff.  I thought there was an over ambudance of male guests and I really wasnt madly keen on his old mate Tim Howar (didnt know he was married to Ruth Henshall), who I found a bit cabaret and he reminded me of a kind of 60/70s entertainer, sort of Austin Powers with that suit and fluffy shirt and page boy haircut.  And the love-in was a bit annoying.
Other than that really enjoyed,  Sorry I'm rambling on first post!

#57 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yes, that's him. He's an attention seeker, I think a bit not quite right mentally and a Ramin stalker. He sits at the front and whoops accompanied by a little dance and flaps his arms out at the end of his little dance, a bit like a penguin. There were lots of people complaining at the RFH concert, Ramin just finds him a nuisance. He's a sad individual.

#58 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostZippy, on 12 July 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Yes, that's him. He's an attention seeker, I think a bit not quite right mentally and a Ramin stalker. He sits at the front and whoops accompanied by a little dance and flaps his arms out at the end of his little dance, a bit like a penguin. There were lots of people complaining at the RFH concert, Ramin just finds him a nuisance. He's a sad individual.
I think what you've written zippy is very unkind

We can't always choose our 'fan'

#59 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

That comment makes no sense. We're all fans of different people. Doesn't mean we all act like we've escaped from a lunatic asylum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users