* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1001 Music Man

Music Man

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

The last post mentions the cast change. Have lost track so when is this due?  Thanks.

#1002 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

August I think.

#1003 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostMusic Man, on 20 February 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

The last post mentions the cast change. Have lost track so when is this due?  Thanks.
Les Mis cast change is usually on the second or third weekend in June.

#1004 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Chris Holland (understudy Valjean) is leaving at cast change.

#1005 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostCactus, on 21 February 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Les Mis cast change is usually on the second or third weekend in June.

Yes, it's June 14th this year

#1006 AddisonMizner

AddisonMizner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Well, I saw the show again on Tuesday (18th February) and was left severely underwhelmed. It wasn't that it was bad; it just lacked any energy or attack and just seemed to be on auto-pilot for most of the performance. Whereas, normally the hairs on the back of my neck would be on end throughout the show and I would be emotionally invested in it, I felt absolutely no emotional connection at all and was bored stiff half way through the first act. The show just felt SO long!

Chris Holland was on as Valjean (and we had a couple of other understudies on for Fantine and Enjorlas respectively), but I didn’t really like him. I found his singing to be weak (he only seemed to be half-singing), and his Valjean barely registered for me (which is worrying for such a key character). The only member of the cast I was impressed with was Tam Mutu as Javert. He sang Chris Holland off the stage whenever they were together, and was one of the best acted Javert’s I think I have ever seen, really charting his decent from law enforcer to broken man.

I also want to say something quickly about the new orchestrations, which I thought were awful. They sounded so thin, and full of Synth instruments, offering no support to what was happening on stage and vastly diminishing the dramatic weight of the piece in certain moments which called for a fuller sound.

I hate to write such a negative review, as I love the show but was just not that impressed. Whether it was because I had seen CANDIDE a few days earlier, which I absolutely adored and that had coloured my view, I’m not sure.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) *****  Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) *****  Les Miserables ***  Gounod: Faust (ROH) ****  Urinetown (St. James Theatre) *****  Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****

#1007 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Went yesterday as I said earlier in the thread. Completely blown away.

Firstly, I'll start with the very best. Mr Tam Mutu, who just leaves me speechless. He is SUCH a good Javert. He sang Stars the best I've ever heard it sung last night and it got by far the biggest ovation of the show. He's so strong, powerful and the way he holds himself is just 'right', in my opinion. A stunning, award-winning worthy performance. Agree with the post above about his acting - it's outstanding to the point of education in theatre! How he's kept that level up over time is a credit to him.

Dan Koek, vocally, was on fire last night. The best I've probably heard anyone sing the Valjean track. Amazing light and shade and an incredible belt which made the bigger notes look effortless. Yes his acting is on occasion quite basic and erratic at times, and I missed some of the subtlety maybe. But there were bits I did like too - opposite Tam he was very strong and also with young Cosette and Jonny Purchase as Marius.

Seeing Dan and Tam go at each other - mainly in The Confrontation but also in The Runaway Cart and The Sewers - is breath-taking. One of my favourite moments of theatre ever.

Mel Bright as Fantine was amazing too. She absolutely knocked I Dreamed A Dream out of the park; probably the best I've ever heard it sung. The top notes were effortless towards the end which many of her predecessors struggled on. Her voice blended really nicely in the harmonies with Carrie H-F and Samantha Dorsey at the end too. I definitely preferred her portrayal to Na-Young Jeon and thought she was vocally superior too. Well played Mel and I told her as much :)

Carrie as Eponine was fab. Great voice, great, well-reasoned portrayal and, ultimately, quite likeable which for me Eponine should always be. Loved her the first time I saw this cast and nothing's changed.

Not a massive Anton Zetterholm fan unfortunately. Good voice but didn't like his choices or interactions with the students: it was all to overt and OTT for me and again preferred Niall Sheehy in that role. Of course Enjolras is meant to be confident but not necessarily arrogant which is how I think he seemed. Will cut him some slack as it was his first night back from holiday but his accent came through a lot last night as well!

Got lucky and had my favourite Marius, Jonny Purchase, on again. One of those times where everything just seems 'right' about his portrayal and his Empty Chairs is just beautiful. Loved his work with Carrie and Sam Dorsey who has improved so much as Cosette and does a good job with what I think is a bit of a 'nothingy' part.

Cameron Blakley was less auto-pilotish and quite nuanced last night which I enjoyed and was more refreshing to see so credit to him for that. Did a great job on Dog Eat Dog in particular. Again, Wendy Ferguson has definitely developed into the Madame Thernardier role and she nailed all the comedy and delivery.

In summary, it was a top night out and I was left mesmerised yet again by the talented leads and ensemble in this show. It was also great having seen most of them early in their run and being able to see the progress and improvement over time. Well played to all and I'll try and go back once more before cast change, I reckon.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#1008 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostJD094, on 21 February 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Will cut him some slack as it was his first night back from holiday but his German accent came through a lot last night as well!
I believe he's Swedish, actually. ;)

#1009 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostCactus, on 21 February 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

I believe he's Swedish, actually. ;)

And you're quite right! Apologies. It's because I subconsciously know he's done a lot of work in German(y)!
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users