* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Matt Lucas is off tonight with a sore throat. Does it sound to anyone else that he doesn't have the vocal stamina for the West End, or do you think it's just coincidence?
Blood Brothers, Chicago, End of the Rainbow, Ghost, Hair, Hairspray (UK Tour), Legally Blonde X2, Les MisÚrables X3, The Lion King, Matilda, The Phantom of the Opera, Spamalot (UK Tour), Sister Act, Sweeney Todd (Chichester), We Will Rock You, Wicked X3

#22 Harold Hill

Harold Hill

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

I doubt it, it's hardly a particularly demanding role vocally.

#23 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

View PostHarold Hill, on 27 June 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

I doubt it, it's hardly a particularly demanding role vocally.

It's a lot more demanding than many give it credit for, actually. It's not a role that can be done just like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he's struggling to perform his track eight times a week.

#24 Peggyb

Peggyb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

View PostCactus, on 27 June 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

It's a lot more demanding than many give it credit for, actually. It's not a role that can be done just like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he's struggling to perform his track eight times a week.
I agree-Dog Eats Dog is far from easy and he cracked badly at the end of it in the Anniversary concert.

#25 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

It will be a great shame if Matt either cuts short his run or decides to have an alternate, but I really don't think that will happen.

Remember, that despite him being a comedian, he's not used to doing 8 shows a week. He did a play a few years ago - which he ultimatley cut short.

I think he's just getting used to it. Give him time and he'll be fine, I'm sure!
Hasa diga eebowai

#26 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

I'm seeing the show tomorrow night. He's not one of the main reasons why I want to see this cast, but I still hope he's back.

#27 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

I agree with the fact that many have pointed out regarding that Thénardier is a much harder part that is given credit for! Also, remember that Matt (and the whole cast, of course) did 1 show on Thursday, 2 on Friday and then 2 on Saturday. That's a taxing schedule for any musical theatre performer, let alone a non-trained musical theatre performer. While I feel he may find himself struggling at some points in the run, I personally reckon this is just a coincidence. He's stated many times that this is his ultimate dream since he was a teenager, so I think he'd do everything in his power not to cut his run short - let's just give him a chance at least as this is a little more to him than 'stunt casting' - plus he can actually play the role well.

Regarding the play he was in UTF, did he not cut his run short due to the unfortunate death of his ex-partner, Kevin McGee?
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#28 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 28 June 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

I agree with the fact that many have pointed out regarding that ThÚnardier is a much harder part that is given credit for! Also, remember that Matt (and the whole cast, of course) did 1 show on Thursday, 2 on Friday and then 2 on Saturday. That's a taxing schedule for any musical theatre performer, let alone a non-trained musical theatre performer. While I feel he may find himself struggling at some points in the run, I personally reckon this is just a coincidence. He's stated many times that this is his ultimate dream since he was a teenager, so I think he'd do everything in his power not to cut his run short - let's just give him a chance at least as this is a little more to him than 'stunt casting' - plus he can actually play the role well.

Regarding the play he was in UTF, did he not cut his run short due to the unfortunate death of his ex-partner, Kevin McGee?

Yes that is the reason he left the production. It may have actually been just before the run was to away to start!

#29 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

(I'm sorry for the typos, I'm writing this all on my phone and it's not easy!)

I saw the show last night. Here are my thoughts...

Alfie - No question he has a phenomenal voice and he moved me to tears in places, but there's something about his performance that doesn't sit right with me. He seems too... High strung? His eyes dart about like a skittish rabbit and I find it really distracting! But that's probably just me. He's 100 times better than Simon Bowman.

Hadley - Having Previously only seen taller bulky Javerts, his more slender frame was odd to watch, bt once I got over that I though he was sensational. Stars was the best I've heard it, his voice is wonderful. By the end I didn't find his size off-putting, it gave a different slant on the character for me, made Javert seems more desperate and sympathetic.

Caroline - I'm a sucker for perfect diction. While I don't lovethe tone of her voice there's no doubt she can sing. Frankly, it makes a change to have a Fantine that can sing! I thought IDAD was beautiful.

Liam - Ah! The one cast member I was most excited to see, and he did t disappoint. He's grown so much vocally and as an actor since his Wicked days, I was very impressed. Previous comments have said he didn't have the presence needed for Enjolras but I thought he did in buckets. Plus his voice is yummy!

Craig - Wonderful. I love a young Marius and I thought he was brilliant. I loved the rapport between him and the rest if the students, the young innocent kid being looked after by his peers.

Lisa - My favourite Cosette I've seen, by far. Her acting was beautiful. As with Craig, I felt enthusiasm from her, a girl eager to get out into the world. They're both recent graduates and I think the fact it's her first role out of college added to that. It's the first time I e felt a real connection between Marius and Cosette, their scenes together moved me a d that hasn't happened before.

Alexia - I was apprehensive about her in this role as I strongly disliked her portrayal of Elphaba but I was pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the mini riff in On My Own (no one should EVER riff in Les Mis) I liked her vocally, and her acting impressed me too. I found her far too intense as Elphaba I was worried she wouldn't be able to pull off the playful naivety that I feel Eponine should have but she did. The onlything is that opposite Craig think she seems too old.

Matt - Wasn't sold on him at the starts but he won me over. I didn't like his Master of the House bt in all the other bits he surprised me. He was more menacing in places than I was expecting and of course his comic timi g was spot on. His adlibs in the wedding scene made me laugh out loud.

Katy - Not much to say really, it's not a character I pay great attention to. She was strong though, and didn't annoy me like Mme T's have in the past!

The atmosphere in the theatre was wonderful, the reception to Alfie's Bring Him Home was touching, and everyone was on their feet at curtain call (I was right at the side in the Dress Circme slips, I could see most ofthe auditorium)

I honestly thing this cast are incredible, by far the best performance of this show I've seen. I don't understandthe negative reviews, but everyone's entitled to their opinion. Especially considering they've not even been there a week, this cast are great.

#30 danf90

danf90

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Went to the show last night - LOVED IT! he audience was ultra-enthusiastic and the show felt fresher than it ever has!

I adored the new orchestrations, they make the whole experience much more dramatic and the sound just feels 'fuller'.

In terms of my thoughts on the cast:

Alfie Boe - I adored his performance. His singing gave me shivers and his acting was sincere and heart-felt. I really have no criticisms. There was (well-deserved) rapturous applause after Bring Him Home. This man is a credit to musical theatre.

Hadley Fraser - Again, FANTASTIC! Very self-righteous acting (as Javert should be) but not OTT. His voice again, is splendid. His rendition of Stars is probably the best I've heard.

Matt Lucas - Funny & menacing, everything a Thenardier should be. His "ad libs" were very funny and he added his Lucas-isms into his performance, which was perfect. He got better as the night went on (not that he started badly). His best scene was definitely the wedding scene.

Craig Mather - WOW. I can't believe this is his West End debut - his acting was perfect. His singing was good, but he had a couple of duff notes (sounds like his voice was a bit tired). He will improve, I'm sure.

Liam Tamne - solid. I preferred Killian Donnelly & david Thaxton, but it's a bit unfair to compare him to them as he really was great in his own right. Lots of confidence and a great voice!

Alexia Khadime - LOVED HER! She was very spunky/playful with Marius (beautiful chemistry) but highly emotional. For me, she has redefined Eponine. Also, her voice is to die for. So much power, beautiful tone. Her "little fall of rain" had lots of people around me in tears. The applause after "On My Own' was one of the loudest in the whole show. In my opinion, she was perfect. [although she has short hair?! Why?]

Caroline Sheen - I've never liked the tone of her voice, and nothing has changed here. That aside however, she was really great as Fantine. Really got the character - downtrodden, emotional, loving and finally delirious. Really good.

Lisa-Anne Wood - well, her acting was lovely and sincere - really enjoyed it. She has a nice voice but her top notes sounded a little strained last night. I find it difficult to get excited about Cosette, but she's far from the worst I've seen. Still incredible for a West End debut!

Katy Secombe - consistently great!

I love this show, and I will be coming back as often as I can. The stand outs for me were: Alfie, Hadley, Alexia, Craig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users