* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#291 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

beautiful

#292 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Went to see Ramin as JVJ for the 2nd time, and came home with puffy eyes from too much crying. I thinnk this young actor could become as big a legend as Colm Willkinson is if he learned to be consistant day to day. It's quite incredible that he was alreday singing and acting at that level after only a month in the role. His prologue was of the highest standard among the many many performances of Les Miz I have seen over the years.  It was at the level of JOJ's which is an enormous compliment. I'd almost say that the two previous principal guys who played JVJ had better forget they ever played the role (sorry!).

My another point is Scott Graham who was replacing Niam last night (and all this week, I was told).  What a discovery (to me, at least)! I am sure other discerning Les Miz fans have seen him play Enjolras before, but it was my 1st time and I was duly impressed. More than impressed, acutally. The very quiet authority in his voice was both moving and convincing to the point of making me cry, which I almost never do with Enjolras, mainly because most Enjos are not good enough.  I appreciated his interaction with Grantaire. It shows how much care and attention is paid to this role by Scott. Why isn't he the principal?? Scott is 1000 times better than Niam who is a good singer but has no nothing other than a  good singing  voice.

Fantine was played by an understudy called A. J. (forgot her sirname) whose performance I also appreciated. She too made me cry with her IDaD, which again happens rarely for the same reason as above (though her "seeem" sounded a little too metalic to my liking).  Other than that, a very convincing Fantine. Well done!

The little boy who played Gavroche was fantastic too. He was really only very little. How does he do it?

Finally, I think the current Thenardier is just perfcet. A joy to watch and listen to.

#293 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I saw Les Mis last week and I agree with SHk.  It's difficult to say anyone ever gave the best portrayal of any role.  I must say though I genuinely thought Ramin was exceptional, in every respect.  (And I am a bit of sceptic as always am over performers with a particularly... intense... fan base.  Many of whom were hooting away when applause sounded.)  Nonetheless, he was in terrific form and was working hard throughout the show.  I was genuinely impressed.  

I also agree that Scott Garnham distinguished himself as Enjolras.  

I had seen this cast in October, less Karimloo, and I must say overall they seem to have settled well into their roles.  It is a strong company.

#294 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Saw the show yesterday afternoon and have to say it was still as brilliant as it has always been. I had a period where i was religiously at this show but left it for about 18 months with only the occasional visit.

Ramin is Vajean, he acts the role superbly and his singing is excellent. I loved his Confrontation and his Bring Him Home was incredibly moving, he puts so much emotion into his performance that it really shows.His acting was faultless and his whole performance was definitely in my top 3 he is just incredible.

Hadley's Javert was quite solid, his Stars and Suicide were particularly memorable and i loved his  Confrontation but i did find some of his choices rather odd. Can't really remember them but at the time i sat there thinking "ooh i would't have done that" or "that doesn't really work in this scene", but apart from that enjoyable and i also liked the chemistry he and Ramin seemed to have onstage.

Caroline as Fantine was ok, yesterday it seemed something may have been holding her back from belting the final part of IDAD, but i liked the way she acted the role, her expressions were clear and you could see the journey her Fantine had gone through. She also looks like Fantine, in my head this is how i always imagined Fantine to look so i suppose that was a plus.

Cameron and Katy work really well together. There MOTH was funny and enjoyable and they both play the darkly comic side of the characters really well. DED was brilliant and i really enjoyed it and i loved there BATF, the two of them really do work well together and in the roles.

Alexia was (i'm sorry to say) atrocious. There is just no redeemable feature of her Eponine. She just stays loud throughout and then gets louder. She needed to add a lot more subtlety to her voice and not just shout her way through the score. Her acting seemed non existent she just seemed as if she was singing the words on stage with only two facial expressions. Her OMO was just terrible because there no emotion in it, just her belting again which was really irritating and by ALFOR, what was one of my favourite moments in the show i just kept thinking thank god i won't have to hear her sing anymore. Really bad casting choice for this, and she also did try and riff once or twice yesterday and i thought she was trying to be a bit like Rosalind James from the tour. I really hope this is not a new casting trend, because i would rather hear the beautiful score as written not RnB style.

Liam was a good solid Enjolras. I liked his voice and his acting. His youth worked really well and it was a believable character on stage. I thought he has come along way from his previous roles and i went expecting him not to have the power to make a convincing job but i was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it.

Craig is Marius. I don't think i can say much more it was just a brilliantly acted and excellently sung portrayal of the role, one of the best i have seen in a long time. I do hope he stays a while longer because his is a Marius that is pretty much near perfect and in my opinion we haven't had it done like this in a long time.

Lisa i liked as Cosette, she gave a good solid performance with what she was given and i loved the way her and Ramin interacted, you could really feel that they loved each other especially during his death.

So there you go, not the worst show by any means in some cases very very strong cast and in others not so much. I still love this show and will be back to see it again very soon but maybe when Helen Owen is on a Eponine.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#295 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Helen Owen? I think I will follow her on Twitter so that I know when she is on as Eponine. Last time I went to see the show (a week ago), I said to a fellow MT fan. "Give me an understudy Eponine. Just any. Even the chiwawa from the Legally Blonde. That way, at least it's sad when it dies." But as theatrefan14 said above, with the current pricipal Eponine, her death is a very happy moment, for the artistic integrity of this wonderful show.

I am glad to read that Liam is getting better as Enjolras.  But I really urge all the Les Miz fans to see Scott if you can.

Another friend who went to see the show last Wednesday told me that Ramin's BHH was "close to feeling the presence of God". And I could well believe her. I too used to visit the show very regularly, but for the past 2 years or so, my visits have become quite sporadic. But now I shall be coming to see the show pretty regularly again (maybe very week) until the end of Ramin's run.

#296 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Alexia doesn't do subtlety. She's far too intense, I'd like her a whole lot more in any role if she just chilled out.

#297 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postcat123, on 17 January 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Alexia doesn't do subtlety. She's far too intense, I'd like her a whole lot more in any role if she just chilled out.
I actually didn't find her intense at all, she seemed to be phoning it in and just going OTT with gestures and movements to make up for the absolute lack of emotion in her singing and acting...

#298 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

I agree with Cactus i thought the lack of acting made for a very lazy performance. Also i have seen Scott and thought he was excellent.

I wish Ramin would stay a while longer because he really is an excellent Valjean and i won't be able to see the show that much between now and him leaving!!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#299 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

If anyone listens to the Scott Mills show on Radio 1, you may have heard a brief discussion about Les Mis this afternoon.  I was listening in the car, so missed exactly how they got onto the subject, but it seemed like the producer had been watching the Matt Lucas documentary on BBC4, and has now decided he's in love with the show and its music.  The discussion was very much banter, and taking the mickey out of the producer for watching BBC4 in the first place, as it is supposedly a bit high-brow compared with his normal viewing habits.   He'd downloaded the music, and was playing some clips during the chat.  

It was a bit surreal, but funny, and a nice little bit of advertising of the show to the Radio 1 audience.  It was on at about 4:30pm, so would have got the school kids!  In fact, they managed to find a school production that they are thinking of going to see - having realised the West End version was even more expensive than the football!   The producer has also declared his ambition to be in the show within the next six months.  Watch out anyone going in the Summer.

As I was on my way back to the office from a meeting, I couldn't stay tuned for any follow-up.  I had already loitered in the car-park until the end of that link.:unsure:

#300 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Have to agree on Alexia, though I don't take any pleasure in saying 'crap'.  And it wasn't crap but her principal contribution did seem to that she can sing very loudly and do a few vocal gymnastics.  Other than that... I mean, how can Eponine leave you near flat?  That spunky little badly parented piece of cannon fodder should leave you in tears every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users