* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 dacho

dacho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hi I haven't been to see Les Mis for a few years but will be going in August.

We have tickets central of the second row in the stalls.  That should be good.

I read somewhere that the revolving stage was gone, but it wasn't clear if that was just for the touring production...... so, at Queens Theatre, is the revolving stage still there?  And if not, how do the bits that relied on the revolving work?

Thanks.

#32 danf90

danf90

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

The revolve is still there! =)

A new 25th anniversary production was made, but that was just for a tour. In the West End the revolve is still revolving! =)

#33 dacho

dacho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

OK good thanks.

How have the instrumentations changed?

#34 danf90

danf90

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Postdacho, on 02 July 2011 - 07:40 AM, said:

OK good thanks.

How have the instrumentations changed?

Spotify the 25th anniversary tour Les Mis CD - those are the orchestrations that are now in the Queens.

#35 Haz23

Haz23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Saw the show for the first time on Thursday night and thought it was amazing! I was left speechless!

Alfie - Like others say, he was incredible. I thought his acting had improved since the O2 and what a voice he has! I was aware of it before but until you see him live you just don't realize how big his voice is. His Soliquoy was a stand-out, and he got a huge cheer after Bring Him Home. He'll definitely be a memorable Valjean, I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

Matt - Vocally, he isn't as strong as the others but I think his acting and comedic ways made up for it. I loved Master of the House and Katy as Mme Thenadier was very funny too.

Hadley - He stood out for me the most. Yes, he looks a bit younger than previous Javerts but his voice is flawless, and has a lovely tone to it. Stars was beautiful.

Alexia - I really liked her as Eponine! I was a fan of hers beforehand having seen her in Wicked, and I thought she suited the part very well. The only con I have is the small riff during On My Own, but apart from that, she was awesome.

Caroline - I first thought she was a bit weak, and seemed to be overshadowed by the ensemble in At the End of the Day, but suddenly seemed to gain power during I Dreamed A Dream and there is no doubt she can sing. She really grew on me.

Craig & Lisa - Both excellent. I loved their chemistry and Lisa's top C. Craig's Empty Chairs at Empty Tables was wonderful.

Liam - Enjorlas is my favourite character so I had high expectations of Liam, and he certainly didn't disappoint. The Red & Black scene was brilliant! He's got a great voice.

Overall I throughly enjoyed it. This cast were brilliant, and you really wouldn't believe they've only been doing the show for less than 2 weeks. I'm highly looking forward to seeing it again :)
Broadway: Avenue Q; Newsies; The Phantom of the Opera.

London's West End: Wicked x3; War Horse; The Phantom of the Opera; Jersey Boys x3; Sister Act; Lend Me A Tenor; Betty Blue Eyes; Legally Blonde; Les Miserables x2; A Chorus Line; The Book of Mormon; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

UK Tour: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Annie; Blood Brothers x2; We Will Rock You; Sister Act; South Pacific; Chicago; Starlight Express; Hairspray; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Cats; Carnaby Street; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Ghost; Singin' in the Rain x2; Stomp.

#36 dacho

dacho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

View Postdanf90, on 02 July 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

Spotify the 25th anniversary tour Les Mis CD - those are the orchestrations that are now in the Queens.

I have the CD.I like it.But presumably the orchestra is smaller, of course, so how does it sound?They have a new sound system as well, right?Keen to hear all about that.
Will central seats in the 2nd row be as amazing as I hope it will be?

#37 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

How's the Stage Door these days? Busy? Does anyone know how long the cast take to come out and do they sign? I hate to ask but my brother is dying to meet Matt Lucas, do they allow pictures?

Cheers guys!
Hasa diga eebowai

#38 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:03 AM

The stage door was the busiest I'd seen it (aside from the Jonas months) they did have barriers up but it was all civilised enough. I can't tell you whether/when Matt came out to sign, I was only interested in speaking to Liam and after a lovely little chat I went home.

#39 Danilo

Danilo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

I saw this on Saturday night.

I think the show has been re-juvinated, having not been impressed the last few times I've seen it in London.

Alfie Boe was simply outstanding - a truly great voice and a committed and believable performance. He owned the stage and it was thrilling to watch a perfomer obviously having the time of his life when he came on for the curtain call.

I've got to say Hadley Fraser was a huge disappointment. I've liked him in other roles - but his voice was too thin for this role, and having an aggressive delivery and physicality and holding the last note of every phrase didn't disguise this. Javert is my favourite character and one with amazing depth, but Hadley left me cold - especially in the suicide. I wanted to enjoy him and was quite excited by this casting, but he didn't shine at all, and was blown away by a much stronger Valjean.

Matt Lucas and Katy Secombe were great as the Thenardiers and I did like Caroline Sheen and Alexia Khadime too. I know that the 'black Eponine' debate has been done before, and I can just close my eyes to her parents being white - but why was the child Eponine white too?! That was just ludicrous.

The new Marius Craig Mather was also excellent (best I've seen since Hadley strangely enough) and I can see him having quite a bright future.

#40 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

View Postdacho, on 02 July 2011 - 12:23 PM, said:

I have the CD.I like it.But presumably the orchestra is smaller, of course, so how does it sound?They have a new sound system as well, right?Keen to hear all about that.
Will central seats in the 2nd row be as amazing as I hope it will be?

The orchestration and the number of players playing is exactly what you now hear at the Queens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users