* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#321 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'd rather have liked an indication that Cammack believes there's enough talent in the West End not to specifically have to bring in a performer for the part, but I've heard good things about him. Just a little odd to know who will take over from the next Valjean when we don't even know who that's going to be (March to June)...

#322 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postperrier, on 26 January 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Geronimo Rauch, who is currently starring in the Spanish production of Les Miserables, will make his West End debut as Jean Valjean. He'll be leading LES MIS cast from 18 June 2012 to 14 June 2013

Confirmed in the Spanish site todoMUSICALES! :)  http://www.todomusic...les-miserables/

Wow! Is Christopher filling the 3-month gap as the principal?

I went to yesterday's matinee.  Ramin was so impressive, I don't know how to describe it.

Zoe was lovely as Cosette, and Shuan was on as Javert. He is obviously still too young for this role, but his phsyique and voice are much suited to Javert than Hadely's.

Warm applauses in places where we don't hear them, but not a full standing ovation at the curtain call. Felt odd.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that Les Miz audiences behave much better than thouse of PotO's?

#323 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Sorry my above comment was somehow included in the quote bit.

#324 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Are they still selling the souvenir brochures as well as the programmes?  Are the brochures updated with pictures of Ramin or is it still Alfie?  Heading to see Les Mis again in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!

#325 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I saw it again on Monday because Helen Owen was on as Cosette and thought she was wonderful. She's so full of life and caring, probably my favourite Cosette now.
I found it interesting to see Chris Key as Valjean again too. I saw him back in November and thought he was very weak vocally. He still can't really hit the high notes, but his acting is lovely and I really enjoyed his portrayal.

#326 danf90

danf90

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

I saw Les Mis again last night and once again LOVED it!! This cast are so strong!

I saw AJ Callaghan [understudy] as Fantine, who I wasn't too impressed with. She was a brilliant Cosette last year, but her voice is really not at all suited to Fantine, which is a shame. I also saw Scott Garnham [understudy] as Enjolras and he was phenomenal - as good as, if not better than Liam Tamne. Very much hoping he takes over full time in June.

The rest of the cast were universally spectacular. It's the 2nd time I've seen Ramin and he's grown so much in the role - he's brilliant, he will definitely be returning at some point in the future. Hadley Fraser is the best Javert I've ever seen live on stage [joint with Earl Carpenter] he has such presence and a brilliant voice.

I absolutely adored Alexia Khadime as Eponine, the best I've ever seen by far. Not only is her voice spectacular [her "On My Own" got one of the largest applause of the night], her take on the character is brilliant. She's so spunky and funny to watch, and not waif-y, which a lot of Eponines can be [not that there's anything wrong with that either]. She's a captivating performer.

Cameron Blakely and Katy Secombe as the Thenardiers were brilliant, as were Lisa-Anne Wood & Craig Mather as Cosette & Marius.

I blood LOVE this show. It feels so fresh!

#327 Luna

Luna

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I saw last Wednesday's matinée (Feb 1st). I last went in August and was up in the upper circle with very restricted view. Before that I went in May 2011 and was row E stalls. This time I was front front stalls. It was amazing.

I loved the show before but this time I was completely blown away. Everything was brilliant. I went particularly to see Ramin and from reading stuff on Twitter I was really worried that half the cast were ill/not up to performing, including Ramin. I think he had to succumb to rest on the Saturday after so I'm so lucky I got to see him. And if that was him at not quite full health/energy, then I can't imagine what he would be like at full health! Vocally great, I love the tone of his voice. Brilliant acting, I got to see all the little gestures and whispers and angst. A wonderful portrayal. He also looks a great Valjean, he fills his cosutme well hehe. Very believable as the strong Valjean lifting the cart but then a little too strong looking for very old Valjean. His Bring Him Home was beautiful.

Liam was on as Enjolras but didn't perform the day after due to his voice. Again, I had read on Twitter a few days previously about him struggling with his voice but it did not show! He sounded great. I had enjoyed his performance last year, but I was even more impressed this time. I think he's really grown into the role.

I'm not so sure on Alexia's Eponine. I'm not overly keen on the incredibly upbeat Eponine,but her On My Own was incredible and her A Little Fall of Rain was very moving (that scene was completely obscurred to me from my seat last time).

Zoe Doano was on as Cosette. I saw her last time and she was just as lovely this time. She seems very at ease in the role.

Fra Fee was on as Marius. He was a womderful Marius. Lovely voice and adorable! He was very good with Alexia in A Little Fall of Rain. And he and  Zoe make a very cute Marius and Cosette. Loved their Heart Full of Love. I'm not sure if his Empty Chairs was quite as powerful as Craig's, but still beautiful.

Caroline was Fantine. Nice voice and very good acting, but I'm yet to be blown away by either Fantine I've seen,vocally wise.

Don't know who the children were but little Cosette was sweet and Gavroche a great cheeky little chappy.

Katy is a brilliant Madam Thernadier. She's the only one I've seen so I have nothing to compare with, but just brilliant! And I was so impressed with Cameron as Thernadier. My first Thernadier was Martin Ball and he was fantastic and Matt Lucas was great, though a bit too OTT. Cameron, like Martin, is more subtle and it's much more effective. He was just horrible but in a good way!

Hadley was again great as Javert. I really liked his chemistry with Ramin, especially in the confrontation after Fantine's death and then when Javert lets Valjean go when he's carrying Marius. Hadley's Stars was absolutely stunning. It was fantastic from where I  was sat last time, but this time I was totally stunned. Probably the best performed song of the show (with a lot of brilliant competition!)

So anyway. That's my rambled review. I love this show! I am so glad I got to see Ramin as Valjean and really hope he returns to the role in the future. Also glad I got to see Fra as Marius. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go again before cast change. I would like to see Lisanne as Cosette as I've not seen her yet and would really like to see Scott Garnham as Enjolras as everyone says how good he is. And of course it depends on who plays Valjean next!

#328 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

Went to a matinée performance recently and we had Shaun Dalton as Javert. I had never heard him before, but what an impression he made. Superb voice. Much preferred him to Hadley Fraser. In fact, possibly my favourite to date (after Michael McCarthy) and Earl Carpenter. Zoe was very impressive as Cosette. Ramin - on top form. Liam Tamne as Enjolras also very good. Marius - a typical Marius!
I am not keen on Alexia as Eponine. Her voice ideal for a different type of show though. Too harsh a sound for Eponine. I prefer a more vulnerable waif type Eponine.

Orchestra was great. Liked the surround sound of the gunfire

Appreciative audience and large ovation at end.

Hope we get Shaun next time too!

#329 Montparnasse

Montparnasse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

Anyone know who may be taking over Valjean until June after Ramin leaves? He only has three weeks left now.

#330 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Suspect the two alternate Valjeans (Christopher Jacobsen and Christopher Key) will cover the role until Geronimo Rauch starts in June.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users