* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Did anyone else see Jay Bryce as Javert? I went on Saturday and thought he was great. He was by no means perfect, but I loved his voice and acting. He would be incredible if he got to go on more often. Also, I actually liked Ramin's Valjean, I think he's grown a lot in the part. He will never be my favourite Valjean (still don't like his voice), but I enjoyed his performance.

#392 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Listened to some Geronimo Rauch On YouTube and I reckon he'll be a great JVJ. Such power but seems to act the song too, unlike Alfie Boe who sang great but was boring. Looking forward to seeing him in June.

#393 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

View Postrwf, on 21 March 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

<br />Did anyone else see Jay Bryce as Javert? I went on Saturday and thought he was great. He was by no means perfect, but I loved his voice and acting. He would be incredible if he got to go on more often. Also, I actually liked Ramin's Valjean, I think he's grown a lot in the part. He will never be my favourite Valjean (still don't like his voice), but I enjoyed his performance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So glad someone mentioned him. I myself have never seen him as Javert, but a friend who did talked very highly of his performance. I hope he will get a principal role soon if he is staying.

Also, I have seen Shauan as Javert twice.  I much much prefer him to Hadley in that role. Shauan too wasn't perfect. His Javert was still in the training period (so to speak), but the Shauan did have Javert's soul inside. He played it very very simple with no fuss no decoration, and that way works better than how Hadely plays it, IMHO.

Finally, I went to see today's matinee which was my overall ??th and about 10th seeing Ramin@JVJ.  I was deeply deeply moved by his portrayal of this role. He gave truth to every single note he sang. And the range of emotions he can put in his voice. I even think Ramin has overcome his only weakness (=inconsistancy).  To think he's been plyaing this role only for 3 months, and yet achieved this much is simply incredible. Ramin is an incrediblly talented actor who has so much respect for the role and gives so much to do the role justice. We are lukcy indeed to have in the UK.

#394 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've seen Shaun as Javert and agree with your comments. There are quite a few understudies stepping up atm (maybe a combination of holidays and LM movie filming?) and I have been lucky to see Jacobson as JVJ, Fra as Marius and Scott as Enjolras who imho plays it with such emotion he is probably the best I have seen.  In fact I am seeing them again before the leads return especially to see Chris; a real gem.

#395 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I always thought Enjorlas was either a bit of eye candy or, when played with effort, a bit of a ranty loon, really.

Scott Garnham played him in a way that really gave him some depth, for me.  Garnham really was one of the best, perhaps the best, I've seen as Enjolras.

#396 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

It doesn't help that the character never sings about himself, I suppose some performers struggle with that. London hasn't really had many actors who have given the character much depth... David Thaxton was quite exceptional just a couple of years ago in that sense and brought everything to the role you could ask for, which really refined the part for me in a lot of ways. I do like Scott Garnham and certainly enjoy his performance more than Liam Tamne's who I felt was miscast...

#397 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 22 March 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

<br />I've seen Shaun as Javert and agree with your comments. There are quite a few understudies stepping up atm (maybe a combination of holidays and LM movie filming?) and I have been lucky to see Jacobson as JVJ, Fra as Marius and Scott as Enjolras who imho plays it with such emotion he is probably the best I have seen.  In fact I am seeing them again before the leads return especially to see Chris; a real gem.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, current understudies in Les Miz are all very good or better than the principals, IMO. Scott is certainly one of the best Enjorlrases I've seen along with David Thaxton and Kojiro Oka of Japan.

#398 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostCactus, on 22 March 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

<br />It doesn't help that the character never sings about himself, I suppose some performers struggle with that. London hasn't really had many actors who have given the character much depth... David Thaxton was quite exceptional just a couple of years ago in that sense and brought everything to the role you could ask for, which really refined the part for me in a lot of ways. I do like Scott Garnham and certainly enjoy his performance more than Liam Tamne's who I felt was miscast...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree.

#399 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

With Rebecca now back on track for a November opening on Broadway, do we think Tam wil depart to re-take his place in the broadway cast????

#400 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postmjr, on 23 March 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

With Rebecca now back on track for a November opening on Broadway, do we think Tam wil depart to re-take his place in the broadway cast????
Good question... I'm not sure if he's allowed to drop out or what the contractual issues could be, but I'd be surprised of he chose playing Javert in one of many Les Mis casts (when he can still do that in a couple of years even) over originating a Broadway lead role... And they'd still have time to get a new Javert for the next cast (I'd personally suggest Jeff Nicholson).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users