* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Cactus, I know Ramin isn't your cup of tea and I also know your understanding of this musical is quite profound.  But if you had been there last night, you wouldn't be saying things like Ramin's fan-base etc.. It had absolutely nothing to do with his fan-base. It was purely and simply Ramin's OUTSTANDING performance - &amp;quot;hummanity&amp;quot; is the word which springs to my mind to describe his performance- that made me write the above comment. <br /><br />I have seen David @ JVJ several times myself, and I know how good he is.  But last night was something out of this world. I would love to hear more from people who experienced it.  In my view we aucience felt totally together in it. We were genuinely transfixed.  And that doesn't happen every night.<br /><br />I just felt that you might've implied that you were glad now Ramin is out your way.  I can usually take this type of comment without resentment as everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but last night was something completely special.  For once, I feel strong resentment that people should comment somthing to slight Ramin in his role as JVJ.  No one could have done what he did in mere three months in this show. NO ONE.

#422 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

People have been giving amazing performances in the role of Valjean and in theatre in general before after playing the role for 'mere three months'. It happens. I'm not at all saying he was terrible or you shouldn't praise him, but this sort of blatant worship doesn't sit right with me, especially if it puts down what a whole lot of performers have done on stage in years and years. (eta: Not everyone might share your view - I know people who don't - so will you just tell them they're wrong by default?) It's great that tonight was so special to you, but that doesn't mean I can't look forward to David Shannon, a performer who I really, really love in this part...

#423 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Cactus, without wanting this discussion to develop into an argument, I still need to make clear that I am not one of his fan girls nor him my favourite MT actor (JOJ is). Therefore, it is quite misguided of you to call my comment a worship. I don't blindly worship Ramin ( I didn't buy his PotO25 DVD or new CD). I simply appresiate great performances.

I can quite understand how you feel that an actor you don't value as highly as many other people do, (I felt exactly the same when Alfie Boe acted as if he was the ultimalte JVJ), so I wont't go into there. I also have no problem in believing that many other former JVJs have given equally oustanding performances.

But let me just comment on one more thing: it wasn't just FOR ME that last night was special, it was special for everyone present. The spontaneous standing-ovation and extremely enthusiastic reception for all the cast tell it all ( though I imagine it wasn't the first time this show recieved such a warm ovation, especially during Boe-Lucas period).

#424 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ramin is a good performer.  But he was not outstanding when I saw him.  So I really don't understand all this worship either. Actually if he was not so favored with ALW at the moment, I rather doubt he would be having all this success.  RUG is pushing him everywhere.  And the POTO dvd is his biggest selling point.  It will be interesting to see where his career goes after his May concert tour.  Is Houdini still in the works?

#425 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

But let me just comment on one more thing: it wasn't just FOR ME that last night was special, it was special for everyone present. The spontaneous standing-ovation and extremely enthusiastic reception for all the cast tell it all ( though I imagine it wasn't the first time this show recieved such a warm ovation, especially during Boe-Lucas period).

To be fair, I would assume that most people in the audience especially bought tickets for Karimloo's last performance, so of course they'd be very enthusiastic. When Boe was in it he got a standing ovation every time I saw it, so for me they aren't really an indicator of how good a performance was... And I wasn't there last Saturday, just in general.

#426 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Is Houdini still in the works?

I'm not sure if it is, but Karimloo isn't involved in it anymore.

#427 Ryan Mac

Ryan Mac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postrwf, on 01 April 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm not sure if it is, but Karimloo isn't involved in it anymore.

Hadley says it's off for the minute while they see what the Broadway Houdini is doing.

View PostSHk, on 01 April 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Who else saw his final performance?  It must have been one of the BEST show EVER in Les Miz's history.  I would love to hear from people who were there last night.

Wouldn't go that far, not having seen every show in Les Mis history, but it was excellent. Ramin developed very well in the role and has become one of my favourite Valjeans. His finale is incredible. I hope he comes back for a longer run one day. I'm very pleased that David Shannon is up next as he's another of my favourites. The cast right now is fantastic.

#428 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sorry to come back again and again. (I was on my way to post a comment on PotO thread).Some points mentioned above are fair indeed.  The audience must have conatained a fair number of his fans, and no, standing ovations aren't always the indication of the performance's quality. Nor have I seen every single Les Miz show in the history. And yes, ALW seems to like Ramin a lot (but without that much talent, he wouldn't be where he is now either). And yes too that Ramin uesed to have a habit of going off tune sometimes.

I have seen him as JVJ a dozen times from his 2nd day to the last. And I am so impressed that how he grew as a performer and overcame his weaknesses (1) off tune, (2) he sometimes used to have &quot;offish&quot; days.  But now he is really consistent. As for his tunes, he may still do that very occationally, but to me, his performances is beyond that. Considering the standards of his acting, occational off tunes don't really matter. I honestly think so.

I would like to think I know a good performane when I see one, and last night's was one. It doesn't matter if there were similarly great performandes or not, because what I am saying is that last night was good.  That's all.

#429 _cm337

_cm337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

Apologies for changing the subject, but I figure perhaps this is one of the best places to get help from. Maybe I'm incredibly behind the times, but I've seen a lot of people talk recently about having tours of The Queen's theatre & the stage & trying on costumes etc. Not people who went with a school group or to a workshop, just fans of the show. Does anybody know how to go about this? I can find no info online and my best bet I know is to ring box office and enquire, but we have just moved and our phone isn't on just yet. Also do you have to bring a certain number of people to make up group numbers for the tour, or could just two people go and join in the rest of the tour group there? Any help would be appreciated, my sisters birthday is coming up and this would be her dream :) Thanks so much!

#430 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3362 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Red Letter days do packages for phantom and les mis that include a ticket and a backstage tour. The phantom
One was very good. Not sure about les mis,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users