* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#431 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostSHk, on 01 April 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

<br />Cactus, without wanting this discussion to develop into an argument, I still need to make clear that I am not one of his fan girls nor him my favourite MT actor (JOJ is). Therefore, it is quite misguided of you to call my comment a worship. I don't blindly worship Ramin ( I didn't buy his PotO25 DVD or new CD). I simply appresiate great performances.<br /><br />I can quite understand how you feel that an actor you don't value as highly as many other people do, (I felt exactly the same when Alfie Boe acted as if he was the ultimalte JVJ), so I wont't go into there. I also have no problem in believing that many other former JVJs have given equally oustanding performances.<br /><br />But let me just comment on one more thing: it wasn't just FOR ME that last night was special, it was special for everyone present. The spontaneous standing-ovation and extremely enthusiastic reception for all the cast tell it all ( though I imagine it wasn't the first time this show recieved such a warm ovation, especially during Boe-Lucas period).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I understand that Alfie Boe may not be your favourite performer and you are well within your rights to say so, but to say that "Alfie Boe acted as if he was the ultimate JVJ" is HIGHLY unfair and most certainly not even true in the slightest. Alfie, like Ramin, is an extremely humble and generous person and never once claimed to be the ultimate Jean Valjean.

It's just that some of his fans, again exactly like Ramin, maybe like to go over the top when describing performances...
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#432 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 02 April 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

<br />&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />I understand that Alfie Boe may not be your favourite performer and you are well within your rights to say so, but to say that &quot;Alfie Boe acted as if he was the ultimate JVJ&quot; is HIGHLY unfair and most certainly not even true in the slightest. Alfie, like Ramin, is an extremely humble and generous person and never once claimed to be the ultimate Jean Valjean. <br /><br />It's just that some of his fans, again exactly like Ramin, maybe like to go over the top when describing performances...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh, sorry. Yes, I should have written "treated" or "marketed", but NOT "acted".  Acted wasn't an apprropreate word.

#433 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Sorry I'm late to this.  I saw Ramin's last performance on Sat.  Ive seen him three times now and although I like Ramin I am by no means one of his fangirls.  I have to say his performance brought me to tears; the sheer emotion he exuded could be felt right through the auditorium IMHO. He was clearly moved by the whole experience and I was towards the front of the stalls and could see the tears in his eyes when singing BHH.  I am a massive John Owen-Jones fan and have always felt he is a far greater MT talent than Ramin (and somewhat overlooked) and for me his JVJ can not be beaten (I have yet to see David Shannon; next month though).  I do however feel Ramin's performance was amazing on Sat.  I would love to have seen him continue longer in this role and truely hope he returns to it at a later date. His sheer generosity with fans at SD is more than I have ever seen before from an artist (I'm sure there are others who are equally generous, just I've never experienced it).  I waited around the corner to speak to Hadley and Chris Jacobson but I could see the number of people waiting behind the barriers to speak to Ramin and I do not think he left anyone out.  I waited also to speak to Lisa-Anne Woods who is generally one of the last to emerge and as I went to the barriers to wait I saw Ramin and just said thankyou; no autographs or photos but a heartfelt thanks for a wonderful performance.

#434 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 April 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

<br />Sorry I'm late to this.  I saw Ramin's last performance on Sat.  Ive seen him three times now and although I like Ramin I am by no means one of his fangirls.  I have to say his performance brought me to tears; the sheer emotion he exuded could be felt right through the auditorium IMHO. He was clearly moved by the whole experience and I was towards the front of the stalls and could see the tears in his eyes when singing BHH.  I am a massive John Owen-Jones fan and have always felt he is a far greater MT talent than Ramin (and somewhat overlooked) and for me his JVJ can not be beaten (I have yet to see David Shannon; next month though).  I do however feel Ramin's performance was amazing on Sat.  I would love to have seen him continue longer in this role and truely hope he returns to it at a later date. His sheer generosity with fans at SD is more than I have ever seen before from an artist (I'm sure there are others who are equally generous, just I've never experienced it).  I waited around the corner to speak to Hadley and Chris Jacobson but I could see the number of people waiting behind the barriers to speak to Ramin and I do not think he left anyone out.  I waited also to speak to Lisa-Anne Woods who is generally one of the last to emerge and as I went to the barriers to wait I saw Ramin and just said thankyou; no autographs or photos but a heartfelt thanks for a wonderful performance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Exactly. The emotions Ramin exuded were felt right through the auditorium all up to the gods where I sat. I have seen Les Miz over 70 times and Sat. night was possiblly the best performance overall. I still think that Les Miz tour's Barbican leg surpassed the word "perfect", but that is meant mostly for the two leading men- JOJ and Earl. They were indeed more than perfect IMHO. But at Ramin's final performance, every single cast member upped their games so high, in response to Ramin's devoted performance, that we in the auditorium really felt something tangible coming from the stage. This happnes very rarely.

Also, the fact Eponine was played by Helen, not Alexia, made a huge difference. The cast as a whole acted and sang as if ithere was no tomorrow. And I really mean it.

#435 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I went to David Shannon's opening night yesterday and he was as wonderful as I remembered him to be. He's such a great actor and singer. I had almost forgotten what it's like to actually care for the character. Fraser's Javert also seems to work a lot better with Shannon's Valjean for some reason.
Helen was on as Eponine too and it makes such a difference for me.
The only real link for me is still Liam Tamne, he doesn't seem to have any chemistry with anyone else on that stage, especially during the Final Battle. His interactions with Marius and Grantaire are so awkward.

#436 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

I Agree, I loved the  entire cast (inc Alexia) but Liam was just there, not bad but  not overly amazing either

#437 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Ah, I love Liam. He's not my favourite in the role (Still Thaxton!) but I think he is very good.

I can't wait to see David again, he's my favourite Valjean, and I've seen a lot in relatively few trips (6 different actors in 8 trips over 3 years I think)

#438 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I like Liam but feel this is not the role for him.  His hand/arm movements are very 'odd' and it irritates me.  I feel no compulsion to storm the barricades with him whereas Scott Garnham commands the stage and instills loyalty and bravery from the students.  I like Scotts light and shade in his voice; I'll be sorry to see him leave the show

#439 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

So, surely the cast is going to be rather depleted these days, as aren't quite a few of the cast involved in the film now?
Hasa diga eebowai

#440 Nev

Nev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postultimatetheatrefan, on 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

<br />So, surely the cast is going to be rather depleted these days, as aren't quite a few of the cast involved in the film now?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes - more stage time for the brilliant swings, I hope! Esp the fantastic George Miller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users