* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 cmem92

cmem92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hi, I want to book to see the new cast in August. I have been looking at tickets on the official site, but I'm not a fan of circle/upper circle due to vertigo so stalls are preferable. However most stall seats left for August are quite far back, and I know you miss a fair bit of the set. So I looked at availability on other sites, and a lot were offering front stalls but at a greater cost than face value. If I ring the box office, would I be able to book these front stall seats? Or are they sent out to agencies so the theatre won't technically have them to sell? Thanks :)

#52 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Your best bet is to call the number on the Delfont Mackintosh website and explain to the booking agent exactly what you want, I've always found them very helpful. If there are tickets left they'll have them to sell before any agency I would think...

#53 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Finally saw the new cast last night! What can I say, it's an absolutely brilliant cast.

Jonathan Williams (Alternate Valjean) - amazing as usual. I'm not an Alfie Boe fan so I made sure to book on his day off and was not disappointed. I've seen Jonathan before, and I think he's settled even more into the role and got even better.

Hadley Fraser (Javert) - took a little while for him to get going but what can I say, his Javert's Suicide stole the show! Incredible voice and his acting was amazing. I thought Norm Lewis was great but he was always very controlled, it was brilliant to see a Javert really losing control towards the end and showing the full force of his anger in the confrontation scenes.

A J Callaghan (Understudy Fantine) - don't know where Caroline Sheen was, but Callaghan was brilliant. Her voice could have done with a bit more power, but it had a nice tone and her acting was superb. I've seen her as Cosette before, so it was interesting seeing her play such a different role.

Alexia Khadime (Eponine) - absolutely amazing. Her voice is even more powerful than when I saw her in Wicked, and her acting was excellent. A Little Fall of Rain was her stand-out performance. Heartbreaking. Most Eponines seem to do the song in a very sad, beautiful way, but Alexia was singing like she was really in pain and a few of her held notes ended up turning into cries of pain, but not to the point of OTT. It made it so much sadder and more powerful.

Craig Mather (Marius) and Lisa Anne Wood (Cosette) - not the best I've seen, but very solid. Wood is a huge improvement on Lucie Jones, a beautiful voice and on the acting side she really made the most of what can be a very dull part. Mather's Empty Chairs at Empty Tables was fantastic. He has a very powerful voice. The only thing that spoilt his performance was Drink With Me. It was very sad and mellow and then Mather's line about Cosette leaving ruined it by being very over the top.

Liam Tamne (Enjolras) - the weakest part of the cast but still excellent. His voice is brilliant, very powerful, and he hit every note comfortably. The problem for me was his slightly amateur acting. It was a little bit stage-schoolish and I felt he really lacked leadership and authority. Very little stage presence too, but these are all things that should come with time.

Matt Lucas (Thenardier) and Katy Secombe (Mme. Thenardier) - simply brilliant. I loved all of the little bits and pieces and extra lines that Matt has added to the show. He has real stage presence and his acting is so much better now that he has the freedom of staging and time to settle in to the role. His voice has also improved. Whilst it's still not a great voice, there were a few painful notes in the concert that have been nicely ironed out.

Overall, possibly the best cast I've seen. There was so much energy and atmosphere, and the audience were very enthusiastic. I got to the theatre an hour early and there was a sold out sign up at the box office. I couldn't see a single person sitting down after the finale, even  looking up at the upper circle, they seemed to be completely on their feet.
Blood Brothers, Chicago, End of the Rainbow, Ghost, Hair, Hairspray (UK Tour), Legally Blonde X2, Les MisÚrables X3, The Lion King, Matilda, The Phantom of the Opera, Spamalot (UK Tour), Sister Act, Sweeney Todd (Chichester), We Will Rock You, Wicked X3

#54 Guest_love it_*

Guest_love it_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

I watched and loved it.
wish i saw Alfie but i will see it again.
Also i was at stage door and i over heard Liam saying to his friend that he has and is really ill.
I feel the only weakness of the show is having a fan like you who always criticizes people.
I applaued people who get up on that stage.
well done guys and well done Liam.
Loved Alexia and Katy

#55 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

I thought that review was very constructive in it's criticisms. We don't have to think every single performer we see is the best person we've seen on a stage. Wasn't the first thing Elliot said in his post that he thought the cast were fabulous?!

#56 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Bit disappointed to hear understudys on already. Les Mis is a show I dont think I have ever seen a full cast in. I want to see the new cast (not actually bothered about Matt or Alfie,) but really dont want to see the understudys (no disrespect I am just a Caroline, Alexia and hadley fan)

#57 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Saw the new cast last Thursday from the dress circle slip seats (A35 & 36) and firstly, what a bargain, fantastic view and only ú20. I thought both Alfie Boe and Matt Lucas were tremendous in their roles, as were Alexia, Hadley, Katy & Craig, That's the 11th time I've seen it (over 25 years mind you, I am ancient) and it felt as exciting as the original did all those years ago.

#58 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

love it, on 05 July 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

I watched and loved it.
wish i saw Alfie but i will see it again.
Also i was at stage door and i over heard Liam saying to his friend that he has and is really ill.
I feel the only weakness of the show is having a fan like you who always criticizes people.
I applaued people who get up on that stage.
well done guys and well done Liam.
Loved Alexia and Katy

If he really is ill then he should be in bed and not on stage. If he goes on stage, it's perfectly fine for people to have opinions about the performance. And it doesn't make much sense for people to be so hypersensitive about criticism, every fan is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone thinks that everyone in this cast only deserves praise for getting 'up on that stage'. I've talked to people who have also seen the cast and who were not impressed as they thought that the characters (as originated in the book) suffered with the current direction, with Javert not displaying the dignity and absolute calmness he must have and for example the student and barricade scenes being a lot weaker than, say, in 2009 and that they missed Enjolras as the obvious charismatic and angelic leader. With Les Mis there will always be many different perspectives on the show, especially with people who do not just see it as a musical but also as the book adaptation that it is.

#59 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

I  am one of these people who see this musical as an adaptation of the original novel which is a complete masterpiece.  Very fortunately for the fans of the novel, this  musical version is another masterpiece in every sense, miraculous almost  in that the thick  book of nearly 1500 pages could have been expressed more-or-less fully in a mere 2hrs 50 min show.  

Therefore, I feel that this show always deserves the best cast that could be found in the business. Sadly, for me personally, this current cast isn't one of the best I've seen (66 times so far).  I do realise I am a minoriy, but every time I read a comment saying things like "this is the best cast I 've seen, almost as good as the original!, my jaw drops to my knees.  

I just don't see how Alfie Boe is so amazingly good as JVJ.  He is a lot lot better than O2 when he gave his "one-man concert" rather than Les Miz as a total package, but he is still singing as " ME! a quite well-known opera singer", and not completely as JVJ. Also, some of his words are still too operatic to suit the role as someone already mentioned earlier.  For example in BHH, he pronounces "die" as "tie" which is a completely different thing obviously.  I can see that his singing is very very very good as singing goes, and he is putting much efforts and that at least is very lovely to witness, but JVJ in a musical? Not quite yet.

For Matt Lucas, the audience should not clap only because he comes on stage. This sort of attitude leaves me feeling quite cold. He has earned his popularity on TV quite deservedly, but as a MT performer, he is still a new-comer and not one of the best albeit being very good at making us laugh.

As for Javert, I have admired Hadely in other musicals such as Fantastics, Pirate Queen (CD) and of course O2, and can tell that he is a very very talented actor/singer.  However, as a fan of the novel, he lacks the rock-like invisibility as the earlier poster said (or something similar).  His legs feel too young and move around way too much (as a ballet fan, I tend to notice actors' movements too much). Javert is not a young boxer, he should stand there like a mountain and not like an agile deer. Also, I rather think this is a baritone role.

Enjolras. The current actor totally lacks the charisma the role requires. According to the book, he is also incredibly beautiful, but I don't think I should talk about an actor's looks, so I won't.  I can remember almost nothing about this current Enjorlas apart from his unfortuate wig.

So, in all, I feel Les Miz is going down the path of the celeb culture as everything else in the U.K.of late. It's almost like a pop concert. People enjoy the buzz because the cast includes one big TV star, and the best known / loved English tenor (and there aren't many English tenors, mind). My analysis is that people go home satisfied seeing something other people are raving about (and raving due to seeing familiar faces from the TV). It's "the queue is so long therefore what they are selling must be good, so let's join the queue." mentality.

I'm sorry if my comment offends some people, but this is my honest opinion of the current cast.    Perfect cast, at least for the two leading men, would be ( for me) JOJ & E. Carpenter in 25th tour and C. Wilkinson & P Quast in 10th concert.  Can people honestly say the current pair is better than these two?

#60 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Comparing performers is never constructive. Wouldn't it be boring if they constant cast clones of the original cast? A show grows and evolves to stay fresh and a bit part of that is each actor putting their own spin on the character. The director clearly saw something they liked when they cast them, if they ere unsuitable for the character they wouldn't be playing them.

It saddens me that Liam seems to be the or that's getting picked on as the weak link, I think he has a wonderful voice and a lot of charisma. It's been 2 weeks, none of them have completely found their feet. Give them a break!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users