* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les MisÚrables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#621 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

For anyone who's interested, the website has had a re-design. Interesting that they're going with black and white. Almost harks back to where it all started.

http://www.lesmis.com/

#622 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Excited for Sam Edwards to join the cast, I somehow missed that announcement until my friend told me the other day. I like him.

#623 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Can someone clear up a lyric confusion for me?

I always thought in Lovely Ladies it was

" 'quick and cheapies' underneath the pier"

However some theatre nerd on youtube is taking me to task on that and saying it's "quick and cheap is underneath the pier" - which makes no grammatical sense!

Apparently that's in the lyric book of the International Symphonic Recording.

I'm inclined to think it's a misprint by an American who doesn't understand British slang...

#624 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I always thought it was 'quick and cheap is underneath the pear' tbh, but I hadn't put much thought into it and that is just what it sounds like! :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#625 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostDistant_Cousin, on 16 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Can someone clear up a lyric confusion for me?

I always thought in Lovely Ladies it was

" 'quick and cheapies' underneath the pier"

However some theatre nerd on youtube is taking me to task on that and saying it's "quick and cheap is underneath the pier" - which makes no grammatical sense!

Apparently that's in the lyric book of the International Symphonic Recording.

I'm inclined to think it's a misprint by an American who doesn't understand British slang...

Its "quick and cheap is underneath the pier" in the film script too.

Its what Private Walker or Monsieur Thenardier  would say. The whores don't  speak RP english or use grammar proper. .

#626 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I went to see this again on Saturday for the umpteenth time and WOW. This is the best I have ever seen the show. The cast are fantastic, the direction slick but real and the tempi are perfect (wonderful conducting).

For a while (and I felt this when I saw it last year) the show got really crap. After the 25th anniversary concert, it got so overblown and the people in it became bigger than the show (Alfie Boe, Matt Lucas etc.) Which is fine for a lot of shows, but not for Les Misérables. When I saw it last year, it was rushed, badly sung, lazily acted and felt like some kind of X Factor crapfest.

Now, however, it has gone back to what the show should be and always was.

Gerónimo Rauch is astoundingly good as Valjean, second only to John Owen-Jones for me. His acting is realistic and meaningful, but he places a huge importance on the singing. Whereas other Valjean's would shout their way through some passages, Rauch is right on the melody and the money notes are not only there, they'll blow you away.

Sierra Boggess as Fantine? Sublime. Right up there with Ruthie for me, she was heartbreaking and though the way she was singing concerned me initially (knowing the classical soprano background she comes from) her belting worked for the character and after a minute or two I just forgot that I was watching Sierra.

Special mentions to Danielle Hope (who, whilst not the strongest Eponine vocally, is pretty darn good) and Adam Linstead who was on for Thénardier. Just as brilliant in that role as he is as Grantaire.

Two disappointing parts for me: Tam Mutu (far too much movement, and vocally not good enough for Javert) and Liam Tamne (not a terribly good singer. Flat in places.)

I wasn't expecting to be as impressed with the show as I was which makes me very grateful.

#627 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I though Tam was amazing!! And Liam has a wonderful voice. Each to their own!

I've seen this cast twice and seen Helen as Eponine both times. I'm going tomorrow, will Danielle be on? That's the question...

#628 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Is Danielle off ill or on hol

#629 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I was there at the Saturday Matinee. Second time for me after 6-7 years.

Got to agree about Geronimo Rauch, Sierra Boggess and Danielle Hope, they stood out the most

I also agree about Liam Tamne. He did seem to struggle to hold the high notes.

I thought Tam Mutu was very good. I will agree about the movement, especially when he wildly went back and forth across the stage as he went into "who is this man, what sort of devil is he".

I did not think much about Adam Linstead as Thenardier actually. He was jolly, but I did not think he did much with the role. Thought Linzi Hateley showed more gusto as Madame Thenardier.

Is it me or could the production do with some speakers for the music? I'm not expecting something on the same level as the concert or the tour, but I was sitting near to the stage and was slightly underwhelmed by the audibility of the music
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#630 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostDavid J, on 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Is it me or could the production do with some speakers for the music? I'm not expecting something on the same level as the concert or the tour, but I was sitting near to the stage and was slightly underwhelmed by the audibility of the music

Have to agree with this! i know they got in a new sound system recently but wasn't very impressed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users