* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#631 zcfthf8

zcfthf8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I would agree with a lot of the above.

Geronimo is absolutely sublime and has a truly beautiful voice. His acting is great too - not overly angry/ aggressive, which I personally prefer (compared to Alfie Boe who I found to be constantly angry, for instance).

Liam is a pretty strong singer in my opinion, but to me, he isn't a convincing Enjolras - maybe it's just a physical thing, but I couldn't imagine him inspiring the students to give their lives for a cause.

I am very excited about seeing Chris Jacobsen as Enjolras from January - he was a brillant JVJ and I'm sure he'll be brilliant in the waistcoat.

I quite like Tam as Javert - no real complaints, but not a patch on Shaun Dalton, his understudy, who is pitch perfect and quite fantastic.

Quite a few great Javert u/s over the years, such as Jeff Nicholson previously.

I saw Chris Holland on as JVJ recently and wasn't massively impressed.

His acting was decent but vocally he seemed to struggle - in fairness, it seemed as if his mic wasn't turned up enough as he seemed very quiet compared to other cast members, so perhaps it was because of that?

#632 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostDavid J, on 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I was there at the Saturday Matinee. Second time for me after 6-7 years.

Got to agree about Geronimo Rauch, Sierra Boggess and Danielle Hope, they stood out the most

I also agree about Liam Tamne. He did seem to struggle to hold the high notes.

I thought Tam Mutu was very good. I will agree about the movement, especially when he wildly went back and forth across the stage as he went into "who is this man, what sort of devil is he".

I did not think much about Adam Linstead as Thenardier actually. He was jolly, but I did not think he did much with the role. Thought Linzi Hateley showed more gusto as Madame Thenardier.

Is it me or could the production do with some speakers for the music? I'm not expecting something on the same level as the concert or the tour, but I was sitting near to the stage and was slightly underwhelmed by the audibility of the music

Saw same show on the first December.  Agree Geronimo is excellent, Sierra was off but was excellent the time before that. AJ Callaghan was on and really good too - she's mastered the art of falling increasingly sick without dying as a shock to everyone, or dying mid IDAD -  as some  did.  Danielle has developed into a really strong  Eponine ,  who gets a suitably strong response.  They have reverted to nice Cosettes,  and as there's nothing obviously wrong with, an otherwise stunning, Eponine,  Cosette wins because thats what  Marius likes - thats fine but there's more to play  for there.   We had the/an Enjolras understudy on and I missed the name - which is a shame because he was really good  - he looked and sounded the part - helped by literally standing over the other students and having striking long hair. I pretty much convinced myself he's the most commanding/impressive Enjolras I have seen since David Thaxton.

I love Tam's Javert.He's the latest in a series of successful perms (and some less successful ones)  on the role who have ranged from the languid to the hyper. I can't see anything wrong with the movement. The guy is effectively  having a nervous breakdown as his value system falls apart, the river beckons,  and he's not going to be seeing the face of God either. People that  stressed, might well look a bit hyper??

The Thenardiers were both excellent.  Monsieur T - Cameron  Blakeley -  has got just the right mix of evil and humour .   Linzi Hateley as Madame T was giving a masterclass. - interesting to hear a top singer sing the role - while the script was fully mined for acting gems.  Its a shame she's off in January as i would buy more tickets just to see her.

#633 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I was at the Dec 1st matinee too - the Enjolras we saw was the wonderful Oliver Savile. I'm really going to miss him now he's leaving to join the tour of Cats.
And, Yes, he has fabulous hair!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#634 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postcat123, on 18 December 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

And Liam has a wonderful voice.

To me, if someone is constantly flat, that's not good singing.

And with Tam, it wasn't the suicide scene that I couldn't get along with, it was his large amount of movement in other scenes - Fantine's arrest for example. Javert doesn't need to be that angry etc, remember, he says "I have heard such protestations every day for twenty years" - he comes into contact with these cases every day of his life, Fantine is no exception, therefore it doesn't work for me if he gets so worked up over her. His answer would be simple - arrest her and have no more say on that matter. Javert is the kind of bloke who simply needs to stand in a location and everyone around him automatically listens to him. He doesn't need to go down to anyone else's level. And in many ways, this it what makes the suicide even more effective - Valjean is the one person he doesn't have that effect on. There is no longer a simple answer to his problem.

As I said though, this is the best I've seen the show in years and very pleased because of that.

#635 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

If you think he was flat on the night you saw him, fine. But always flat? No.

It's just a different tale on Javert, there's no right or wrong. Tam is totally different to my favourite Javert, Earl Carpenter, but I like him all the same.

Oliver is a brilliant Enjolras. I'm seeing him tonight! :)

I like that Cosette is likeable now! Until Lisa, I had never cared for the character but she was excellent and Samantha is very good too.

#636 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Interval post- Really impressed with Danielle! And I love Shaun (Javert) & AJ (Fantine) my first time seeing them. Quite glad I got to see Oliver as Enjolras again too, despite missing Liam. And Geronimo gets better and better every time I see him (3rd time now)

#637 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

No I have to agree with Bowlerhat, I think Liam is really weak (as he was in Hairspray).  He doesn't have a very strong or  masculine presence either which doesn't help for a part like Enjolras

#638 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostTitan, on 19 December 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

No I have to agree with Bowlerhat, I think Liam is really weak (as he was in Hairspray).  He doesn't have a very strong or  masculine presence either which doesn't help for a part like Enjolras
Yes, I agree. I don't actually think a role like Enjolras needs to be overly masculine, though, but some intelligence, determination and passion instead of shrugging and doubting half of your lines certainly helps. At the moment the revolt seems doomed before they even build a barricade and that's really not the point is it?

#639 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Does anybody know when Linzi Hateley leaves in January?  And Sierre, for that matter?  I've got tickets Jan. 3.  Many thanks.

#640 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Linzi's last day is the 26th, Sierra's the 10th

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users