* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#681 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Chewing the Scenery, on 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Hello,

I've written a blog piece on my website about Les Misérables for those who are interested, it includes a mini-review of my last visit to the show..

wp.me/p1mzMt-kI

I'll post a link to the second part (including full movie review from a theatre lover's perspective) here tomorrow!

- Harry Zing

Surprised it looked like that early in the run in  2012  It looked far better later that year for  me and again this january. I was surprised then  that Geronimo  has no appreciable accent. I thought he sings and acts it  beautifully,  and gains stature literally because he actually looks the part physically. I would  rate him with John, David, Ramin and Jonathan of great recent Valjeans   There are/were no talent show runners up in Les Mis. Judging by the winner and the third placer who have played Eponine - coming from one of the ALW shows is probably a very good sign of quality - and there's more talent from there for Les Mis to use.   They have also  ended the experiment with totally comic Thenardiers since 2010,  and the people playing those roles  hardly look too young.  Not sure who is left to look younger? The students arguably do look younger than some casts- but they are meant to be students - as is Marius (who is meant to look weaker than Enjolras)   Wimpish Enjolrases are a problem,  but almost everyone looks wimpish now  if you have seen David Thaxton wave the flag. The current young Cosette's and Gavrochi  look younger than some - but thats not a bad thing? There's been young looking  Cosettes, successfully matching the ages of their Mariuses for years,  and only one recent Cosette who looked strong and  like she was  after her man. There's also always been adlibs new ideas and script changes in recent years - more audible perhaps if you sat front stalls  Indeed,  my favourite,2008-10  cast, had filled in the complete set of relationships if you watched the detail. I agree some current shouts were a bit intrusive - but there's been worse.  Wailing barricade woman seems to have been shut up,  and Marius Gates weeping buckets and crying out seems to have been toned down,  so things could be worse.  What did you mean about the  orchestra - I htought it had been increased for the new orchestrattions -  I thought that they  decided to change the music and take out some of the most effective touches  (drums in empty tables for example) rather than there being not enough people to play it all?

#682 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Am going up to try and see Les Mis this coming Monday and am thinking about day seats, can anyone give me some information about them?

How much do they cost?

Where abouts are the seats located?

Is it possible for one person to collect on behalf of 4 people?

How many day seats do they release?

(Then the day after is Mormon!)

#683 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Is Les Mis doing day seats? I thought with tickets sales going through the roof after the movie was released they had no discounted tickets at all.

#684 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

They don't do day seats and I can't remember a time when they did do them (if they ever did). The house is selling out on regular week nights and I've seen return queues in the early evening so yes, any other discount is equally out of the question I think.

#685 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I don't remember Les Mis ever doing proper day seats, though they did used to do some student discounts I think, but they don't need to anymore, it's selling out regularly.

And I don't know of any theatre that would let one person buy 4 day tickets!

#686 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

If you want cheap good tickets, I recommend the dress circle slips. You almost always need to book in advance though. I won't sit anywhere else!

#687 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

cat123, on 21 February 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

If you want cheap good tickets, I recommend the dress circle slips. You almost always need to book in advance though. I won't sit anywhere else!

That's where I sit, great view & good price although I'm sure they've gone up by a few pounds. I went in Jan (booked months before) and I thought they were £19 + £1 levy, but the ones I booked for April appear to be £20 + £2 levy for same seat.  Not sure if ticket prices have gone up across the board or just for these seats specifically.

#688 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

One good way to keep great seats from becoming more expensive and overpriced is to not advertise them so openly...

#689 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Righteoh guys! Thanks for the help. Don't usually go for day seats as I don't live in London so don't know the 'do's don'ts, in's and out's of them. Will just have to see what I can do online then :P

Thanks all!

#690 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

There are almost always standing tickets on the day if you don't mind the thought of that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users