* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#701 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

The last couple of Cosette's (Lisa and Samantha) have been te strongest in a long time in my opinion. And Craig was the best Marius I've seen. Not sure what else you want! They're written how they're written...

Emma Williams would make a good Fantine. But I want Sabrina Carter and I won't rest until it happens!

The Valjean & Javert I have in mind are a bit too young right now I think. Any ideas on those roles?

The only role I don't know about Is Cosette. I don't know young Sopranos.

#702 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Although I'm not a fan of Eddie Redmayne I did think he played Marius with a bit more (trying to think of a politer word but can't) balls than is usual on the stage.Though this may have been because he'd pinched a lot of Enjolras' part!And I'd like an angrier feistier Cosette for a change.She doesn't have much of a life after all.And for Cosette what about Olivia Brereton now alternate Christine on the Phantom tour?

#703 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

cat123, on 08 March 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Out of Interest (because I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff) who would you cast in Les Mis if given the chance? Preferably people who haven't been in it before. I have a Fantine, Eponine, Javert and Enjolras firmly in mind!

Julie Walters as Madame T

Think she would be brilliant !!

#704 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

bickypeg, on 10 March 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Although I'm not a fan of Eddie Redmayne I did think he played Marius with a bit more (trying to think of a politer word but can't) balls than is usual on the stage.Though this may have been because he'd pinched a lot of Enjolras'

I'd agree. I thought Craig Marther was great as Marius, but after he and Gareth Gates, I thought Eddie Redmayne was a refreshing change for once. I could even had mistaken him for the leader of the student uprising.

If he could develop his voice a bit more I'd fancy seeing Eddie in some more singing roles. He impressed me the most in the film
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#705 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

I loved Eddie as Marius but the character is definitely not supposed to come across like the potential leader of a student uprising... He can be strong and he can be layered and interesting (rather than being a two-dimensional High School Musical Marius) but I don't think that not solely reducing him to the romantic lead automatically means he has to be in the front line for the revolution. And it's not like London hasn't had Mariuses who were quite strong characters (in terms of personality) as such - Hayden Tee or Jon Robyns come to mind.

#706 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

bickypeg, on 04 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

But no stunt casting please!I hope the quality of some of the singing in the movie is not going to be used as a yardstick...

Depends if it works well,  and then doesn't look like stunt casting? I can think of some people who might be regarded as stunt casting who I could imagine being really interesting  as  Les Mis characters when they did extremely well in other West End roles. If they matched the roles vocally,  I  would have a look at them just out of curiosity to see if the idea was brilliant,  or a complete and total dud. I can see some people from the film doing well enough too - but they  wouldn't get them, and you would pray for the understudy to be on if others were in the stage show.  I think thats different than putting in someone who looks wrong, or clearly sings or acts it worse than the  people in the audition queue.

On the other hand when you have got a really good Valjean, Javert, Eponine,  Fantine and Thenardiers why change at all -  if they are still growing, have not been there that long,  and have nowhere else to go? And if some recent past people on the show or tour haven't been bettered since,  and still look right, lets have them back rather than someone new who acts it less interestingly or sounds less good?

#707 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

I don't know either that well of course but I see no reason for Geronimo or Tam to leave (but don't want to jinx it!). They're incredible and have just got better in their run.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#708 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Tam is leaving, and I think Geronimo has said on twitter that he is too - sorry!

#709 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Geronimo is probably missing home, and Tam will want to be with his wife. Think they have more reason than most to leave a show, personally.

#710 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

I suppose when you look at it like that, more than fair enough. I guess I meant in terms of the prestige of their roles and the quality they bring to them. Another reason to go and see them again though! Cast change is mid-June I think??
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users