* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#831 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

wickedgrin, short contracts are not automatically the solution... There are a lot of positive things to be said about casts the grow together and stick together for a while without constant new and tiring rehearsals to allow new cast members to get used to the show. Having new people join doesn't mean they're 'kept on their toes'. The rehearsal period is very short and often just about blocking and lighting cues etc. and having talked to a number of performers, it's the first few months of performing the parts when you really get to explore the show and find your footing and get confident and secure in your portrayal. Especially with characters like the students it usually helps to establish them as a group.
If a performance seems tired or lacklustre it's almost certainly due to direction and individual performances. I remember when I saw Les Mis for the first time after several years which (as I later found out) happened to be towards the end of a cast's run. They'd been performing together for about ten months and I still remember how many small details and layered interactions there were, and how great the energy was. They didn't have to concentrate on blocking or cues but were completely at ease with the material and had explored the characters to the fullest. In comparison, I saw the 25th Anniversary UK tour just a couple of weeks into their run and all the students seemed to be one generic body, not individual characters.
That said, seeing Les Mis about six months ago (so just about four months into the cast's run), I also felt that they seemed to just be 'there' as if to say 'the house will be full anyway so why bother?'. I put this down to casting and direction and given my experience with other casts I'll stick with that - but it was frustrating. The audience still seemed to enjoy it it but I'd definitely seen more passionate performances in the show (even ten or so months into a cast's run).
I know that quite a number of performers really enjoy having an entire year or more with their characters and use it to the fullest by exploring their parts to the fullest and work out various interactions - after all, it's quite an ensemble-heavy show and it allows for more freedom than A Chorus Line for example, or Phantom which almost entirely relies on the three leads. A fair number of actors and actresses in the past have chosen to stay with Les Mis for several years (both as principals and in the ensemble) have have continued to give strong and original performances. I've seen performers who, after almost two years in their role, had more passion and dedication than others showed after three months. But I also agree that direction at the moment seems to be superficial.

#832 Cake

Cake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

View Postpastaeater, on 20 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I thought someone posted on here recently that the new cast have only been given contracts until September?

I don't know about certain individuals in the cast, but as a whole this isn't true. Not sure how long the contracts are exactly but they certainly aren't only until September - for some of them at the least

#833 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

The persistent lack of news, I assume, means the rest of the principal cast is staying?

It's almost June!
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#834 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Any idea on casting ??? Only 12 shows left with current cast!

#835 SSB

SSB

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Nope but I can find out for you this weekend!

#836 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh please do !!! Thank you :)

#837 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Anton Zetterholm - Enjolras, Carrie Fletcher - Eponine, Rob Houchen - Marius, Wendy Ferguson - Mme Thenardier

#838 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I certainly can't comment on Carrie's acting skills, but the above video demonstrates that she does have a good voice. She starts off quite soft and quiet and builds up as the song progresses which is nice. However, in my opinion, it's nothing exceptional; she doesn't "wow" me. Although, in saying that, the video was posted almost two years ago so she has probably improved since then.

I haven't heard of Rob Houchen until now. I've just read that he's a Guildford graduate and he does have a Marius look about him.

#839 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can i ask was the new song written for the film added to the stage show?

#840 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 06 June 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Can i ask was the new song written for the film added to the stage show?
No, the song is not in the stage show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users