* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#851 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well I asked Geronimo if he'd extended until next year & he said he couldn't say, if he was staying until next year surely he would have said.

There didn't seem to be much love for Carrie on Twitter. Some were calling her nasally.  She did however tweet "Someone said to me at stage door after tonight's show that the role of Eponine is safe in my hands. Made my night!"

#852 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Well, when Daniel Koek's name first surfaced for Valjean, it was said to be with a view to him taking over the part full time in September. I have since heard that Geronimo is/was being considered for the Phantom to take over from Marcus Lovett. Their cast change is on 2nd September. Coincidence? Or 2+2 = 5?
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#853 St Anne

St Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Any comments on the rest of the cast? How were the new students?

#854 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

JD094, on 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Well, when Daniel Koek's name first surfaced for Valjean, it was said to be with a view to him taking over the part full time in September. I have since heard that Geronimo is/was being considered for the Phantom to take over from Marcus Lovett. Their cast change is on 2nd September. Coincidence? Or 2+2 = 5?

Geronimo as the Phantom? Really? Oh dear

#855 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

He'd be a brilliant Phantom! It's a long time since a voice this good has been heard in the West End!

#856 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

ABowlerHat, on 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

He'd be a brilliant Phantom! It's a long time since a voice this good has been heard in the West End!
I thought Geronimo was an excellent Valjean when I saw him.  I think he would be a million times better than Marcus Lovett in Phantom too.

#857 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

tommo2k, on 20 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I thought Geronimo was an excellent Valjean when I saw him.  I think he would be a million times better than Marcus Lovett in Phantom too.

Second that ... He was a fantastic Valjean ... He would make a great phantom !!!

#858 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

He is one of the best Valjeans I've heard or seen for sure. He'd do a great job as the Phantom (and probably be better, at least vocally, than Marcus as others have alluded to) and if that is how it ends up I'd book right away. Geronimo is also London-based for at least another year as he posted recently.

As for the new cast, I've heard Dan did really well as Valjean, his vocals are surprisingly powerful and Rob Houchen seems to be the the pick of the rest as Marius. Fits like a glove apparently, akin to other feedback in this thread too.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#859 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I like Geronimo's Jean Valjean & he has an excellent voice. His pronunciation lapses at times and although I have no doubt he's up to it vocally in my vision he isn't the build for the Phantom. He can get away with being 'chunky' as JVJ as he's supposed to be a strong man. In my opinion the Phantom is more refined in stature. But that is just my opinion

#860 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Stage Hand, on 20 June 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I Went Tuesday

Dan Koek- acting slightly wooden & Vocally So-So probably needs time but somehow i don't think it would help him

Carrie Hope Fletcher- mutton dressed as lamb comes to mind.The problem is not her age it's the youthful looks of Marius. An older Marius would have addressed this Point. However her  acting & singing proved to be ok.

Anton Zetterholm- Again maybe it's early doors but he didn't show any outstanding qualities but was competent. Vocally slightly thin voice.

Na-Young Jeon (Fantine) -A really smooth tone to her voice but the diction can be questioned seriously needs to work on the acting & characterisation. I hope for her sake it comes off since a voice like that deserves a chance.

Wendy Ferguson  - Strong performance,  vocally seems very comfortable & acting wise provided  her own take on Madame Thénardier which was refreshing & enjoyable

Rob Houchen (Marius)- IMO the best on the night of the newbies I was convinced by his characterization made easier by his fine acting & his voice did not let him down. His lower range is full & warm & his youthful looks completed the package .

Isn't Carrie only like 20? She looks younger than most Eponines I've seen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users