* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#881 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostJoule, on 30 June 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

So, if all the gushing on tumblr is to be believed, Zetterholm is the new Thaxton. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of the next big thing (in terms of fandom I guess).

Thoughts on this?
I've actually only heard mixed reviews from a few people (and people who weren't Les Mis fans) who thought he was okay but not outstanding. I think there's a lot of hype in the fanbase because many people joined after the film's release and haven't really experienced a cast change before...

#882 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostJoule, on 30 June 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

So, if all the gushing on tumblr is to be believed, Zetterholm is the new Thaxton. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of the next big thing (in terms of fandom I guess).

Thoughts on this?

Oh he's no David Thaxton! As I said I his voice is good and I think he'll settle nicely. There are some clear improvements from last cast, however in my opinion the cast has never been as strong as the one that left in June 2012. I'd like a new JVJ though but incredibly happy Tam stayed on as Javert, in fact I think he gets better with every performance, I'd love to see him in a West End lead soon.
The young cast is very enthusiastic and I'm sure if and when I return to it in a month or so they will have improved.

#883 St Anne

St Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 30 June 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Oh he's no David Thaxton! As I said I his voice is good and I think he'll settle nicely. There are some clear improvements from last cast, however in my opinion the cast has never been as strong as the one that left in June 2012. I'd like a new JVJ though but incredibly happy Tam stayed on as Javert, in fact I think he gets better with every performance, I'd love to see him in a West End lead soon.
The young cast is very enthusiastic and I'm sure if and when I return to it in a month or so they will have improved.
I think it would be pretty tough to be the next David Thaxton! He (Thaxton) really does have an excellent voice and something more, that I would have to describe as stage presence, or charisma, that you just don't see all that often. However, I haven't seen Zetterholm yet, so maybe he will surprise us all!

#884 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Posttsxmitw, on 24 June 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Also agree with comments re. awful direction at the Queens - it's just so horribly staged and manufactured, way too predictable. Really takes away from all the performances I've recently seen. The way Danielle/Carrie are made to hold the hat and 'act with their hands' during the end of On My Own... They should be able to do what comes naturally to them!

I agree. I think they should have some freedom when it comes to acting out the scene and letting it come naturally rather than forced. Surely that would make the acting more truthful. It's better having some variation every night rather than having this mechanical, almost robotical direction that makes the show quite predicable and perhaps a little tired, in a sense. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic musical, but I think the cast needs some freedom.

Also, on the topic of Carrie, I've taken a liking to her after listening to some of the audios. I think she could do with a little more vocal training just to strengthen her lower range but overall I think she'll grow into a very likable Eponine as her run progresses.

#885 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postmystifyre, on 01 July 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

I agree. I think they should have some freedom when it comes to acting out the scene and letting it come naturally rather than forced. Surely that would make the acting more truthful. It's better having some variation every night rather than having this mechanical, almost robotical direction that makes the show quite predicable and perhaps a little tired, in a sense. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic musical, but I think the cast needs some freedom.
The thing is that a few years ago that kind of robotical direction definitely wasn't in place. The whole idea strikes me as odd, why would they would focus on superficial stuff like that?

#886 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostCactus, on 01 July 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

The thing is that a few years ago that kind of robotical direction definitely wasn't in place. The whole idea strikes me as odd, why would they would focus on superficial stuff like that?

Because to interact more freely  you need someone who can think of something appropriate  to do, and do it,  and someone who can interact appropriately back to them? If you go back three or four years I think you had more going on in the sub plots, more emotion that infected the other actors,  and more detail filled in. You also had some people with enormous stage presence who could grab and  could hold the audience  more. When  the audience  are more involved ,you can do little things that they will see and move them more, and  you may be able to build the emotions,  hold the silences,  and hold the applause until you give them permission to applaud.Thats reflected  i think in a lower tear quotient, and  some characters having less impact and its visible where the applause has moved.  The directing seems to ditfer with different roles, and possibly the actors themselves.   I wouldn't say there's an overall trend. We had some strange decisions to allow the Thenardiers to go almost completely comic, manic Valjeans , and unlikeable Eponine's  which seem to have been reversed, some swings in the weight attached to the love triangle, and a variety of Javerts , other Eponine's and Fantine's. Some have worked better than others. Some work for some people, and not others.

#887 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

What are people's opinions of the new principal cast members? I'd think only good reviews about Wendy Ferguson's portrayal of Madame Thenardier and Anton Zetterholm's of Enjolras. Quite a number of people have said that Carrie's Eponine is better than Danielle Hope's and Samantha Barks'.

#888 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

View Postmystifyre, on 08 July 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Quite a number of people have said that Carrie's Eponine is better than Danielle Hope's and Samantha Barks'.

Then they must be die hard Carrie fans as in order of vocal ability and acting I would say Sam, Danielle then Carrie, although I'd rather have Alexia before Carrie as I really didn't like Carrie's wooden performance or lower range.

#889 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 09 July 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Then they must be die hard Carrie fans as in order of vocal ability and acting I would say Sam, Danielle then Carrie, although I'd rather have Alexia before Carrie as I really didn't like Carrie's wooden performance or lower range.

Hmm..I suppose her wooden performance that you describe may be down to the fact she has had no professional training in the acting field. As for her voice, there is no doubt that she can sing but again perhaps her vocal range requires some training to improve.

#890 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Why employ people that haven't had training is it a case of not what you know but who you know? It devalues the profession & stops trained performers getting their break imho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users