* * * * - 1 votes

The Ongoing Les Misérables Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: Les Mis dress rehearsal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Les Mis song would you most like to sing at a dress rehearsal?

1. At the End of the Day (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

2. Bring Him Home (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Do You Hear the People Sing? (7 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I Dreamed a Dream (3 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Look Down (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Master of the House (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. On My Own (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. One Day More (15 votes [26.79%])

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

10. Stars (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#901 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

djp, on 15 July 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Singing is  a matter of perspectives too  sometimes. I sometimes read someone sings beautifully, listen myself and think note perfect but bland and unconnected to the story. Sometimes you have  older singers singing younger roles  perfectly -  but who don't actually sound like their young characters. There's some great renditions  of On My Own that just couldn't be sung by Eponine.  Elsewhere you find people putting in soaring riffs and getting praise, and  I think what on earth has that to do with the lyrics or story. Someone else gets criticised for being breathy,  but I note they are dancing, or being chased by a madman, feeling angry,  or being  shot at, at the time.  ....  I think I would rather have the odd note go astray,  from someone who can act the lyrics convincingly,  than someone who sounds perfect but might as well be in any other show.
Bad breathing technique, being sharp or flat on notes or having bad diction is unrelated to that, though. I was talking about having the foundation to actually use your voice and act with your voice and do all the things you said - bring the lyrics and story to life through singing. If a performer struggles to actually hit the notes or keep up with the tempo or if they tend to swallow the words and can only focus on doing that then that's not emoting or acting, and it can damage the voice in the long run. Great performers will use their ability to control their voice for the character and the story.

#902 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

There's been a lot of good and interesting points made that I completely agree with. Ramin is an example of an actor who had no training prior to landing a role on a West End stage and look how popular he is now. We should remember that Carrie would have auditioned for the role of Eponine in front of the director, producer(s) and perhaps even Cameron Mackintosh, and that clearly she must have impressed them and shown she was capable of the role for her to be cast, although there are always going to be mistakes in casting or a difference in audience taste.

As for the suggestions and speculation that perhaps Carrie got the role because of her brother's status in a chart-topping boy band, I'm not so sure. Interestingly enough, Carrie wrote a blog regarding this subject not too long ago on her site: http://alliknownow.com   titled "Unrealistic" although this isn't why I believe this not to be so. I just don't think that Carrie is THAT well known for being Tom Fletcher's sister to justify giving her the role for, as she wasn't that well known before, unless you watched her YouTube videos.

#903 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

i dont thibk she got the role because of her relation to tom, but i dont think it hurt her either. he has a large following and mentions her a lot on social networking

i think untrained actors can often give a more exciting and interesting performance because theres a rawness to them. sometimes actors, especially in musical theatre, are too trained and too cookie cutter.

#904 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Daniel Koek has now taken over from Geronimo as JVJ

#905 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I saw Daniel last week and have to say I wasn't that impressed. He has a good voice and managed the songs fine but to me his acting seemed very OTT. I just couldn't warm to his portrayal of JVJ.
Will make sure to pick one of Chris Holland's Valjean dates for my next visit. Have seen him once and thought he was really good.

#906 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Chris Holland will be on every Monday night (apart from next week when he is on Tuesday night) - according to his twitter!
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#907 musicalepicness99

musicalepicness99

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I am planning a trip to see Les Mis in London again and was wondering what the seats are like on the front row especially the seats directly behind the conductor. Is the view restricted? What sort of view do the other seats on the front row have?

#908 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

musicalepicness99, on 25 July 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I am planning a trip to see Les Mis in London again and was wondering what the seats are like on the front row especially the seats directly behind the conductor. Is the view restricted? What sort of view do the other seats on the front row have?
The ones behind the conducter aren't horrible but they're not that great either - you'll certainly be aware that there's a conductor in front of you even if you can only see the top of his or her head. As you're seeing the show again, the other non-top price seats in the front row are okay if you want to be very close to the action and are prepared to be looking up all the time. The front row seats are all overpriced for the view they're offering, though, but then that's true for almost any seat at the Queen's...

#909 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

i prefer mid dress front row for les mis.. you can get the full sound too.

#910 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

harveyjnr, on 25 July 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

oh my actual god this is my fave eponine by a landslide

Absolutely agree. She is the best I have seen in the role and I'd like to see her in more shows as although she was excellent in we will rock you too, I hated the show!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users