698 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

Thought we should have a new thread as Ghost starts London previews tonight!! Anyone going to one of the first couple of previews? I'm going tomorrow evening!

#2 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'm there on Monday. SO excited. :D

#3 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'm there tonight for the first preview, and am VERY excited.  Even if I end up thinking it's rubbish!

#4 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Details please!! :)

#5 argen

argen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Anyone saw this yesterday??? I'd love to hear some reviews! Really excited about this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So far.... Wicked / Spring Awakening / Beauty & The beast / We will rock you / Cats / Cabaret / Avenue Q/ Piaf / The lion King / The sound of music / Hairspray / Sweet Charity / The producers / Rent /Tick Tick Boom! / The last 5 Years / Sister Act / Oliver / I love you, youre perfect, now change / Chicago / Legally Blonde / La Cage aux folles / Hair / Tap Dogs /Jersey Boys / Drowsy Chaperone / Spiderman Turn of the dark / Memphis / The Addams Family / Million Dollar Quartet / Priscilla Queen of the Desert / American Idiot / Mary Poppins / In the Heights/ Betwixt / Crazy for you / Viva Forever / Singing in the rain / Ordinary Days / Les Miserables / Next to normal / Dreamboats and petticoats / Rock of Ages /

#6 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

I saw it yesterday as previously mentioned.  I did type up a reaaaaally long post with my opinions but then thought it probably wasn't fair to discuss it in that much detail yet so I deleted it before posting.

It's fine.  It's not brilliant, and there's one musical number that is possibly the worst, most inappropriate sequence I've ever seen in a musical.  But overall it's a decent enough night out that will appeal to anyone who liked the film.

I'm really hyper-critical, though, so people in general may enjoy it much more than I did.  I'd be delighted to discuss it in more detail but not until a few more people have seen it.

#7 ldntheatregoer

ldntheatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostDeNada, on 25 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's fine.  It's not brilliant, and there's one musical number that is possibly the worst, most inappropriate sequence I've ever seen in a musical.  But overall it's a decent enough night out that will appeal to anyone who liked the film.

I'm intrigued to hear more about this number!

#8 AdamG

AdamG

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

View Postldntheatregoer, on 25 June 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I'm intrigued to hear more about this number!

Is it the ball of wax number?

#9 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostAdamG, on 25 June 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Is it the ball of wax number?

Yes.  It's not hideous musically, it is just so stunningly out of place in this show and laughably staged.

You go from Sam dying into a vaudeville routine with a bunch of costume drama ghosts doing a tap number and the projection turning into a show curtain with "That's all folks!" lighting up in neon.  It's jawdroppingly awful.

And no, there are not enough interesting rhymes with "wax" to make a song.

#10 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Loved it!

Music is hit & miss at points, but when it hits, DAMN its good! Mollys solo in act one is breathtaking and Caissie is just giving an incredible performance. I loved Richard too, and Sharon is just wonderful. Excellent performances all around.

Ball of wax, it wasn't horrible but it was very out of place.

I loved the death sequences, extremely well done!

Visually very pretty. Didn't quite get the full effect from the back row of the upper circle I don't think.

By the way - No dayseats or concessions at the moment. Seems there won't be for some time, if at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users