698 replies to this topic

#451 DonnieSmith

DonnieSmith

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Worth bearing in mind that none of us are privvy to the deal that the producers have with the theatre -- and the theatre management and the producers are different parties.  That can create a complex situation in these circumstances, that would have little to do with not knowing what to do.  Just a thought.

#452 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 01 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I am surprised at the news of the closure of this if it true. I saw Ghost a few weeks back on a Thursday evening and the theatre was packed with a spontaneous standing ovation at the end. It thought how well the show seemed to be doing. But having said that I got a day seat at lunchtime and I dont know what everyone paid for their seat - perhaps they were heavily discounting in order to fill it?

But if it was making money it sure wouldn't be closing. But for what it's worth I thought it was OK - with great staging and excellent special effects and a strong plot.

Saw a Saturday matinee last month. Practically full, same very positive reaction, audience suitably moved. . Siobhan Dillon is excellent. You would think there was a niche there for a  musical with a strong story, strong  vocals, good special effects and strong acting content, well played.. There's a lot fewer of those about than a few years ago with plays filling some of the same theatres and much of the West End filled with quasi pantos aimed at children , dance musicals trying for the strictly come dancing audience, older US stars, and the newer juke box musicals aimed at older audiences. Ghost actually seemed to have a good range of ages including the 20-30 year olds who will be future audiences everywhere else.

Not sure if making money is that  simple an  issue .In economic terms it probably includes  how much money is made or lost,  what the goals are,  whether an alternative will lose more, to what extent you want to sit a recession out (which is much of the cause of this recession)  whether any great musical would have survived if it had been born in  this recession, and if the US production is losing money, how much London is seen in isolation.

#453 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

I can think of one production in particular which was born in the recession and is clearly going from strength to strength..

It can happen, it's a proven fact that audiences still tend to go to the theatre as a method of escapism during times of national financial hardship - we can't simply say "oh, it's the recession that's closing it" every time a production posts closing notices (disclaimer - I'm not saying that has happened here, just a general point to note).

On a related point - have closing notices been put up or is it still business as usual?

#454 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Still no official announcement about it closing and it's still taking bookings up until April next year!

#455 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

but the cast are all talking bout it on twitter. so it must be closing. i just want to know when so i can get on wit booking my tix

hopefully it goes straight up here when the date comes in pls

#456 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 02 June 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I can think of one production in particular which was born in the recession and is clearly going from strength to strength..

It can happen, it's a proven fact that audiences still tend to go to the theatre as a method of escapism during times of national financial hardship - we can't simply say "oh, it's the recession that's closing it" every time a production posts closing notices (disclaimer - I'm not saying that has happened here, just a general point to note).

On a related point - have closing notices been put up or is it still business as usual?

It was surprising last year how full theatres still were. This year though there seem to be areas of empty seats in shows  which were habitually full for the first three years of the recession. .In economic terms, the cuts have only just started hitting and the big picture is getting worse not better. Its a good question what Matilda (if thats what you are thinking of ?)  has got right and others didn't have going for them..The Olympics may be a negative factor too if anyone is looking at their  show's prospects.

#457 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I think the shows that were already hits will survive and others will close and be replaced by new shows, it happens every year. We're very unlikely to get a situation like Broadway where lots of theatres go dark for months on end.

#458 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

The show was amazing tonight!
Sharon D Clarke has definately Not lost her comedy touch despite doing the show for over a year.
It was my first time seeing Mark and Siobhan and I was very impressed...Siobhan definately gave the stand-out performance of the night.
Andrew Langtree...not much to say apart from perfection.

Jenny Fitzpatrick was also the stand-out performer in the ensemble...she definately rocked 'Are You a Believer'

I love this show...enough said.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#459 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Any update on it closing or did Baz just get it all terribly wrong and it's actually staying open?

#460 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

As there has been no official announcement yet we should all assume that it is to remain a fixture in the West End for the time being.  If it were true about the closing the cast would have demanded to be told last week when the story broke and as there seems to be very little talk on Twitter or Facebook from any of them as I said we should assume it's good news.  Pair this with the tweet Dave Steward posted over the weekend that its 'pure speculation' and other messages I have had privately we can continue to believe for the time being.
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users