698 replies to this topic

#471 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yes, reviews from theatre critics and from the audience have certainly been quite mixed. A lot of people have mentioned that Ghost's music isn't that memorable and that they didn't understand the relevance of the chereography that was used throughout, or the need for it altogether. The song "Ball of Wax" appears to be a somewhat Marmite song with the audience too.

Personally, I loved the musical when I went to see it last year with Caissie Levy and Richard Fleeshman as the leads. I don't know what Siobhan Dillon and Mark Evans are like in the roles, however, although the comments I have read have mostly been positive. I'm just curious as to what factor(s) has caused the show to close (what has caused there to be a lesser demand for tickets).

#472 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

There seems to be less chat about the show since Mark and Siobhan joined, but I'm not sure why. Reviews of their performances have been good. I can't judge as I've not seen them myself.

I'm also baffled why people don't find the music memorable. "With You" is one of my favourite musical theatre songs ever. When I first saw it in te context of the show, Caissie's version brought me to tears. I know not everyone was a huge fan of her portrayal but I loved her in the role. I also found the choreography brilliant, and very modern. My main problem with the show was "Ball of Wax" as I just didn't get it at all.

I'm going to try and see it again at least once before it closes as I'm interested to see Mark and Siobhan's performances. (For the record, I'm an enormous Spice Girls fan and am looking forward to Viva Forever, wherever it should land!)

#473 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

I am personally devastated at the inevitable news confirmed now that Ghost is to close. More so that it is to be replaced by a 'Jukebox Musical'. Ghost despite it's negative reviews from some parts has been widely acknowledged as a fresh new show with 21st century sets and stageing that may just have been too much for the West End.  The fact is that every new major musical that opens now has a 'bench mark' to live up to and I can see few reaching the standard Ghost has.

Fot those who know me or relate to my user name on here will know I am passionate about this production along with the Broadway version and I find the fact that the arrival of another 'Jukebox' musical is severely downgrading the status of the West End.  As theatre goers we want to see new musicals which rely on original scores that are set to excite us and not a mish mash of 90's songs from a disbanded Girl Band who refuse to reform.  I am willing to bet however come opening night all 5 turn up to greet the papparazi and lap up the limelight.

The West End will be a poorer place come the 6th October 2012 when Ghost takes its final bow and I just pray that the show takes to the road and spreads the message of belief on a tour that will no doubt sell out where ever it goes.  I pay tribute the the entire cast and crew past and present who have brought us this emotional roller coaster night after night since the show opened in Manchester to huge acclaim in March last year.
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#474 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostGhostmusicalfan, on 15 June 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

As theatre goers we want to see new musicals which rely on original scores that are set to excite us and not a mish mash of 90's songs from a disbanded Girl Band who refuse to reform.  who have brought us this emotional roller coaster night after night since the show opened in Manchester to huge acclaim in March last year.

Don't speak as if you represent everyone who goes to the theatre, because you don't.  I for one quite enjoy jukebox musicals, they're an evening of light entertainment and nothing more, but they do what they do well.  And I don't appreciate the insinuation that because I like them I'm not a true theatre-goer.

And the Spice Girls reforming or not has absolutely nothing to do with Viva Forever, which I intend to see for Jennifer Saunders' book and some nostalgic memories of my childhood pop music collection...

You have every right to be sad that Ghost is closing, but Viva Forever had nothing to do with it - they looked for theatres, like any other show tends to do - after all, it's been rumoured at several different theatres for the past couple of years.  Ghost closing was due to it not selling, here or on Broadway.

#475 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

View Postmystifyre, on 14 June 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

I find it hugely disappointing to hear of Ghost closing in October. Especially as it's being replaced by a musical called Viva Forever, about the Spice Girls! In my opinion, London's West End doesn't need to have any more musicals based on pop bands/music stars. The Bodyguard, centered around Whitney Houston which is being released in October, doesn't sound so bad as it's based on an existing film that featured some of her music, but in my opinion, this musical about the Spice Girls is more about publicity for them rather than for the entertainment value.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

Don't think so. Viva reportedly has a story, and uses the songs to illustrate it. It may be a stronger story than Mama Mia /WWRY or not. It has a top comedienne writing its book, so it may come up with something thats  really funny too. Bodyguard has a film and a story , but I suspect its going to be a lot of hits broken up by a story that will be very simple and predictable as they  fit in as many songs as needed waiting  for the male lead to take the bullet at the end -  we will have to see.

I share your view about Ghost closing though. its a good dramatic story with some great, moving,  songs, great effects,  and a first rate cast. Meg is one of the few major female roles left  around with significant acting content and major vocals,  and Siobhan Dillon  was doing an excellent job when I saw it recently. I find it profoundly depressing that the WE is increasingly filled up with dancing shows with little story aimed at Strictly Come Dancing fans . and  jukebox musicals with far less  story than WWRY aimed at over 50s . There's a lot of  plays/older US actors now  where recently there were some top rate award winning/nominated  musicals and  seemingly more name casting by the week - although some  names have proved inspired casting.  I think its far too early to tell where Viva will fit into that  picture though - it could look like a gem amongst a wave of US imports that don't work in London, Strictly Come Walzing Again and variations on Top of the Pops 1950 or 70. I hope the book is good because, with the right cast, it may be well worth a few visits - at the moment I am buying less and less, the musical casts I want to see are increasingly the touring ones, more actors  seem to be moving over into plays, and Ghost going will see me spending less still.

No idea why Ghost is closing - it may be more complicated than sales . I was told by someone today that Viva starts on 27 November  ( though that may be wrong)  so it looks as if that is decisive.

#476 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

My problem with Ghost all along is the fact that it felt like they had taken the script from the film and put songs to it! I don't know if it was my expections or what?

My boyfriend won a copy of the promo CD before the show came to London and fell in love with the 4 songs. The buzz from Manchester had been good and we paid full price to see this just after it opened.

We went and left extremely disappointed. The 4 songs that I had listened to over and over had been changed and cut, the book was literally the film which as someone who knows the film well, all the 'one liners' which should have made me laugh didn't because I already knew they were coming. The score wasn't strong and I just left feeling like I could have watched the film?

It wasn't till I bought the album and listened to the score over and over that I really got to love the score, which was the main reason for going back. And when I did, I enjoyed it more than the first time.

I always thought if they had produced something like what Sister Act did which is similar to the fact that it's based on the film, they may have had a stronger end product? The former didn't feel like you were watching the movie, it felt fresh and new. This is what I thought Ghost would be like and was disappointed to find it wasn't. And how 'Ball of Wax' got to the stage I do not know?

I hope it has a future on the road  =)
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#477 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostMark_21, on 15 June 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

My problem with Ghost all along is the fact that it felt like they had taken the script from the film and put songs to it! I don't know if it was my expections or what?

That is exactly my problem with the show too - There was a time when movie adaptations would at least bring some fresh elements to the stage versions. Take Billy Elliott for example, where the miners' strike was expanded on and brought much more depth to Billy's family and background in the village, as well as the "Express yourself" number that deepened the character of Michael.

But it seems newer move adaptations don't dare to stray one inch from the movie anymore. Ghost added virtually nothing new to the story, in fact it stuck slavishly to the original by incorporating "Unchained Melody" or the famous pottery scene. All the huge blinking LED backgrounds and "ghostly" gimmicks couldn't distract from what was in the end rather dull.

As for the music - I am one of those who found it unmemorable. Yes, "with you" is a big belt ballad, but to me it felt like the 100th big belt ballad in which a woman whines about missing/losing a man, there was nothing at all special about it, no matter how beautifully Caissie Levy sang it.  I much preferred her other big song "Nothing stops another day" that at least had a positive uplifting message, but that was the only memorable song for me. Other songs like "I'm outta here" felt way too generic too - the big showstopper towards the end for a sassy big black woman - yawn.

For a few months I really worried that I must have missed something when I saw Ghost because it seemed to be so popular and I was the only one who was left cold by it. So the bad ticket sales in New York and the closing in London (and the Dutch production being cancelled) are somewhat of a relief to me since I am obviously not the only one after all.

Perhaps it is a signal for writers/creatives to stop slapping movies 1:1 on stage and at least spend some time to add something new and fresh to it that will make the show its own piece of art as they did only a few years ago when adaptations like Billy Elliot, Mary Poppins, etc. came out.

#478 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

No, you're not the only one. I hated it, but felt that there must have been something wrong that I felt like that about it as everyone was raving about it so a few months later I went to see it again and still hated it. Same reasons really, too similar to the movie, I didn't like all the flashing backgrounds, most of the songs were unmemorable, I liked Caissie's singing but not her acting and didn't like Richard Fleeshman. Overall I was just really bored by it and am not really surprised it's closing, that it's a flop on Broadway and the Dutch production has been cancelled.

#479 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Vicerys thats true the really good adaptations make you forget the film whilst youre watching them, I rarely thought of Ricky Lake's Tracy during Hairspray and with Billy Elliot I tend to forget is a film adaptation all together. Unlike Ghost and Dirty Dancing where I was constantly reminded of the film.

That said i really enjoyed it but had no desire to go back after cast change, too much else to see.

#480 jersey_girl

jersey_girl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'm upset about Ghost, I love it! I wasn't sure at all when I first heard about it as it is one of my fave films, and was scared they would ruin it.
But they didn't and I love it. If you watch the film again after seeing the show, it is amazing how many lines they did use. It actually makes me want to sing the songs when they say certain lines.
I must admit I have not been to see it since cast change, seeing it 3 times previous to that.
You could say it was to do with tickets not selling, but most nights it is packed. I used to work for the company who sold the tickets and used to look at sales on a daily basis.
A lot of shows in the westend have quiet nights, some that have been there for years and still not closing....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users