698 replies to this topic

#611 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

The show has had a limited but successful run in both the West End and up in Manchester where it premiered, despite its visual qualities for some reason the MT public have just not taken to the show in the way the film goers did to the movie.

It's sad Broadway has closed already and London is going in October but as stated above running costs for this show are very high and if there aint enough bums on seats then its best to end now rather than extend risking yet lower audiences and in turn revenue.

This show will be touring both the US and UK at some stage next year as has been said in various tweets on both sides of the Atlantic and I believe that is where the show will prosper reaching out to a wider audience on the road with a possible return to the West End post tour.

The key to the UK tour however will be the casting.  I would love to see Lisa as full time OMB and Andrew reprise the role of Carl which he has truely made his own.  As for Sam and Molly, when the show returns to Manchester, Richard Fleeshman would be the ultimate casting choice if he would reprise the role with maybe Siobhan joining him on the road.

Who would you cast in the four main roles?
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#612 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostGhostmusicalfan, on 23 August 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

The key to the UK tour however will be the casting.  I would love to see Lisa as full time OMB and Andrew reprise the role of Carl which he has truely made his own.  As for Sam and Molly, when the show returns to Manchester, Richard Fleeshman would be the ultimate casting choice if he would reprise the role with maybe Siobhan joining him on the road.

Also, looking at it from a business perspective - Richard is known as "that guy from Corrie, right?" and Siobhan is know as being "not Connie, but from that show" so they'd have more of an appeal than Caissie or Mark.

I have no idea about OMB, however for Carl I suspect they may try to find a willing semi-name prepared to do it. Depends how hard they think they'll have to fight to sell it.

However, I wonder why Ghost sold so well in Manchester - was it just because people were seeing the massively publicised run before the West End or were many people local to Manc and would have gone whether or not it was West End bound? Just thinking about whether we could say "well, it sold well in Manc, it will do elsewhere in big venues" or if we were jumping the gun to say that.

#613 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Sorry, ignore..

#614 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I guess the production team thought they should experiment in a city that is large, but not so vast as London to judge how successful it would be on the West End. Chances are, if it's a hit in a city like Manchester and attracts good publicity and reviews, then more people would be enticed to see it in London. I think it would do relatively well touring to big venues, such as the Edinburgh Playhouse, and it would almost certainly return to Manchester after its success there.

Cast wise, that's a tough one as I only saw the London production once, so only saw the original cast and not any understudies to make a judgement on for the roles. I can understand why Richard Fleeshman was so appealing to many, as a huge chunk of the UK population will be familiar with him from Coronation Street. I thought Caissie was perfect as Molly, but her name is more familair in America, even though she'll no doubt have fans based in the UK from her role as Sheila in Hair when it based itself in the Gielgud Theatre in 2010. Andrew Langtree, I must agree, really made the role of Carl his own so I think it would be great if he reprised his role on tour. As for Oda Mae, I'm not sure. Sharon D. Clarke did a great job with the humour and really got everyone clapping along to "I'm Outta Here" but whether she would join the touring cast, I don't know. That's just my personal opinion though. I always like to hear what other people think.

#615 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'd love to see Caissie and Richard do the tour. I doubt they both will, but I don't think they've been bettered in the roles, and neither do I think the producers would want to stunt-cast every role (especially one as difficult as Molly). I'd love to see Sharon D. Clarke and whilst she may want to go on to other things, she has been known to stay with roles for a long time. The only person I'd like to see not tour is Andrew, who I have always thought to be the weak link. In comparison to the rest of the original cast, his acting and singing were not that good.

#616 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

I kind of made my last post seem as though "names were everything" and I'll say that was not intended and I was really responding to DaneilWhit whe he was discussing the subject. I don't think Caissie or Richard will do the tour; in interviews they both seemed to accept that they have had their run and were quite interested in moving on to other things. But I must agree with ABowlerHat, I don't think anyone really bettered them both in the roles.

#617 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

How about Natalie Mendoza and Oliver Tompsett who were in some early workshops of the show to do the tour?
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#618 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

I could see Sandra Marvin as Oda Mae Brown - I believe she did a workshop of Ghost too (not sure what role she had in that).

#619 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

It will be interesting to see if it tours, won't be the first show to say it will tour when closing then doesn't. It's rare for a flop show to then tour. And if they downsize it they will take away the one aspect of the show that the general consensus is very positive on.

#620 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Sandra Marvin played Louise in the workshop. I think Wendy Mae Brown (yes, coincidence indeed) would make a nice Oda Mae or if they were going for a name I imagine someone like Gina Yashere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users