#621 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostTitan, on 23 August 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

It's rare for a flop show to then tour. And if they downsize it they will take away the one aspect of the show that the general consensus is very positive on.

I wouldn't call it a "flop show" - it would have ran for nigh on 18 months. The last show that I can recall which did a similar run was Sister Act (both of which were born from films which, coincidentally, featured Whoopi Goldberg), that toured fairly successfully in the last year.

#622 Carly

Carly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'd love to see this tour, but personally, I don't know if I would go to see it again now, after seeing the 'original' cast 3 times (except I got a different Oda Mae each time).
I'd love to see Andrew and Sharon on tour, and it'd be brilliant if Richard came back to it, but I'm not convinced it'll happen. And I'm guessing Caissie won't be coming back over to the UK.  
I just think it might spoil the whole memory for me if I saw different people in the lead roles. :/

#623 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 23 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

I wouldn't call it a "flop show" - it would have ran for nigh on 18 months. The last show that I can recall which did a similar run was Sister Act (both of which were born from films which, coincidentally, featured Whoopi Goldberg), that toured fairly successfully in the last year.

I adore this musical but it is a flop. Another one of my beloved 18 month flops sti hasn't toured yet (Love Never Dies). But I'm hoping that and The Wizard of Oz do (as well as GHOST of course)

#624 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

How do you gauge a flop?  Monkee Business was a flop without question being pulled whilst on tour before it even reached its planned West End residency at the Savoy.  Was Betty Blue Eyes a flop?

Ghost WILL tour next year, that I am certain of and do very well in the regions.  On the subject of scaling down the set etc, this will have to be done to a certain extent I think as to the best of my knowledge there are not many houses that can accommodate the power consumption required to operate the set.  I have complete faith in the production team from Ghost to get this right and not detract from the overall visual feast that the show is.
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#625 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

A show is deemed a flop if it loses it's money. Sunset blvd, ran for years, still closed a flop  yes Betty was a flop

#626 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostTitan, on 24 August 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

A show is deemed a flop if it loses it's money. Sunset blvd, ran for years, still closed a flop  yes Betty was a flop

Exactly. Ghost is a flop. A show can run for ten years, but it it doesn't break even, it's a flop.

#627 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 24 August 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Exactly. Ghost is a flop. A show can run for ten years, but it it doesn't break even, it's a flop.

Do we know its not broken even in the UK  though?  Its been pretty  full when I have been and ATG staff comments  tell me its selling Ok.  Its perfectly possible that  its closing because the US show is costing and not selling and the producers have lost interest - or they want to finish  while they  are ahead in an accelerating recession  - or because almost everything is losing money at the moment -  or because someone thinks that Viva Forever will sell more .It could be a flop, or a success dragged down by a flop elsewhere, or someone' s   marginal decision in favour of another prospect.

#628 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

I would imagine the show has extremely high running costs - so I'd be surprised if it's broken even.

#629 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

I am sure it will tour, but I don't see how it can tour until late next year as Matthew and Co will be in NYC doing Matilda until about April... so then they'll have to start re-staging/designing/redirecting the production after that.  

Poor Matthew's not had a chance to work on anything but these two shows in the last couple of years! haha
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#630 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 25 August 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

I am sure it will tour, but I don't see how it can tour until late next year as Matthew and Co will be in NYC doing Matilda until about April... so then they'll have to start re-staging/designing/redirecting the production after that.  

Not all tours are re-directed by the original creative team... The Mary Poppins tour was re-directed by an associate, and I'm pretty sure Legally Blonde and Sister Act have also been re-directed by associates.

I think this would be a pretty easy show to tour, the set can't be much different as the design is dictated by the final illusion. Certain moving elements could be cut to make this a pretty easy show to tour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users