- - - - -

Wicked

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_jim_*

Guest_jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

I got discounts for it from the Hippodrome ticket booth in leicester square.....£38 for a best seat (normally £60 i believe..) and it was a great seat...they arent allowed to advertise that it discounts apparently...and TKTS dont get it at all...(guess the producers dont want word getting back to NY that its on the half price booth...)

Have to say I thought it was in bad shape. Kerry great, but the orchestra has been reduced im sure..the sound is awful and the cast is made up of what looks like drama students audtioning for Mamma Mia. I thought this show was above casting everyrole with a chorus boy/girl....in favour of character actors...but no....its cheapened it.

#12 abalafae

abalafae

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

I've seen this show 16 times and everytime has been as fresh and exciting as the first! I look forward to going again- when Kerry gets back though! Another thig I have never noticed, is this thing that people insinuate she looks bored. I have noticed on 2 show days that she tends to "play it safe" slightly though, but thats understandable since it's such a chalening role!
We taught the world new ways to dream.

#13 starsmeannothing

starsmeannothing

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

CJ (The Elphaba understudy) is fantastic, I've seen her 5 times now and each time she never fails to dissapoint, I enjoyed her Elphaba alot more than I did Kerry's (but I did find her's to be great, I just LOVE CJ's). She's a wonderful actress and she's got a set of lungs for such a small person!

#14 Guest_Steve_*

Guest_Steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(starsmeannothing @ May 21 2008, 08:59 PM) View Post
CJ (The Elphaba understudy) is fantastic, I've seen her 5 times now and each time she never fails to dissapoint, I enjoyed her Elphaba alot more than I did Kerry's (but I did find her's to be great, I just LOVE CJ's). She's a wonderful actress and she's got a set of lungs for such a small person!

I also enjoy CJ's performsnce more than Kerry's

#15 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Well, if there are people out there obsessed enough to see it 16 times in less than 2 years, I'm sure it will still do fine in the box office for ages to come, with such a fanatical fanbase...

Pity, it's sh*te.

#16 Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

I have seen wicked 14 times and yes i agree the sound is poor, but kerry never looks bored. She plays it safe due to the intensity of the role and has been told by the production team not to riff, as she gets told off for doing it.

Tell me, if she looks bored then why has she extended her contract??
Simple answer, she loves wicked.  I think some of you expect too much from these people.

#17 Guest_Guest_Sally_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sally_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Hannah_* @ May 22 2008, 03:32 PM) View Post
Simple answer, she loves wicked.  I think some of you expect too much from these people.

She loves money ...

#18 Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hannah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

That is a poor excuse, kerry has worked dam hard get to where she is.

I think she deserves everything she has got.
Its what she has always wanted to do and has nothing to do with money.

#19 dancingginger

dancingginger

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

On a nightly basis I see this show as FOH staff and I think there are alot of people commenting here that don't really know what they are talking about and are making assumptions...

there has been no changes made to the set or choreography to show recently. One addition was added last year to the penultimate scene where the wizard finds out who elphaba really was. After some surveys were done of audience members, it was decided that some of the audience didn't quite get the thing about the green bottle and the relevance it has to the story. I believe London were the first to add this and it has also been added to the broadway show too.
Cast change means that a new cast comes in and learns the choreography. I'm very sure that both casts have been taught the same material, but as you can imagine everyone is a different person and therefore no people dance the same way which is why some of the choreography looks different. There are moments in the show where there is no set choreography and the cast were told to improvise in the style. Each show is slightly different.

I don't many "character actors" that would be able to dance this show (despite how little actual dancing there is). I certainly dont see there being any problem with the current ensemble cast, all of whom are very able to act out the scenes they are in just as well as any "actor"

The has been no reduction in the size of the orchestra and the are no sounds "problems". Often there is a different sound tech running the show and they have the crazy job of making sure everything sounds its best the whole time (its not as easy as pressing the GO button on the lighting board!) so the sound isnt going to be the same if a customer sees it more than once. The Apollo Victoria is a cavernous theatre and a grade 2 listed building which means there is very little in the way of what can actually be altered in terms of rigging and hanging more speakers (not that it really needs it as this show is LOUD) If you buy cheap seat at the rear of the circle, of course the sound isnt going to be as good as sitting in row F in the stalls for the sheers fact you can hear things much better if you are sat closer to where he sound is actually coming from!

Performances are not selling out but averaging about 1700 per show (of course some shows are more sold out than others, usually fridays weekends). Still this is alot more than most shows at the moment, some theatres not even holding that amount of patrons! So in terms of selling to capacity, no its not leading the way, but in ticket sales, yes, Wicked sells more tickets a week than most other west end shows.

Unfortunately not eveyrone likes this show, but there are plenty of people that do. I rather happen to think that Wicked is a good show, if you can bare to use your imagination and not take yourself too seriously then you should definately come and watch it.

Sammy x

#20 dancingginger

dancingginger

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

wow, that felt good smile.gif
Sammy x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users