- - - - -

Nancy's Age And Accent Etc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

I have read Oliver Twist, but it was in German, so I looked on Wiki to see what it said about Nancy's age and accent etc, after ALW's comments the other week saying Nancy could have been Irish and was 17. It seems she couldn't have been 17 and almost certainly wasn't Irish. I had another look through the book too. Nancy was with Fagin from the age of 6 and therefore would have spoken like he and the boys did. Later she says she has been in the same business for 12 years. Therefore almost certainly not Irish and not 17 either. Where did ALW get his ideas from, or did he just make it up? He evidently hasn't actually read the book.

Does anyone else think he is manipulating the public so he gets what HE wants and will say anything to get his own way? Or is this just my impression of him? And does anyone else think Barry H. is the worst judge they have ever seen? Everytime he appears on screen my 13 year old son makes gaging noises.

#2 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Dickens is occasionally inconsistent with details in his novels.  The way they were written meant that he never got a chance to go back to revise things.

But ALW clearly has an agenda - and it is up to the voting public to either go along with that

or vote for the person we think is right for the role

#3 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Jennell @ May 17 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post
I have read Oliver Twist, but it was in German, so I looked on Wiki to see what it said about Nancy's age and accent etc, after ALW's comments the other week saying Nancy could have been Irish and was 17. It seems she couldn't have been 17 and almost certainly wasn't Irish. I had another look through the book too. Nancy was with Fagin from the age of 6 and therefore would have spoken like he and the boys did. Later she says she has been in the same business for 12 years. Therefore almost certainly not Irish and not 17 either. Where did ALW get his ideas from, or did he just make it up? He evidently hasn't actually read the book.

Does anyone else think he is manipulating the public so he gets what HE wants and will say anything to get his own way? Or is this just my impression of him? And does anyone else think Barry H. is the worst judge they have ever seen? Everytime he appears on screen my 13 year old son makes gaging noises.

ALW has no scruples and fewer concerns for accuracy. As has already been stated on this board, possibly by me, Lionel Bart didn't stick close to Dickens's ideas about the character of Nancy. As Long As He Needs Me is not the song of a teenager, in my opinion. Cameron Mack was quite happy to have significantly older actresses in the part last time round because they make the part believable in the show that Bart wrote; Bart would have been either angry or consumed with tears of laughter if someone had told him Nancy had an Irish accent.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#4 Guest_bp1975_*

Guest_bp1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

So if she was in the same business for 12 years from the age of 6,that would make her 18, not 17,well,my my, that is shocking i hope ALW reads this and makes a full and proper apology this evening.
Also do you think its good/funny/suitable for your child to make gagging noises when someone comes on tv? ALW is great at what he does,his looks are important how?

#5 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(bp1975 @ May 17 2008, 12:07 PM) View Post
So if she was in the same business for 12 years from the age of 6,that would make her 18, not 17,well,my my, that is shocking i hope ALW reads this and makes a full and proper apology this evening.
Also do you think its good/funny/suitable for your child to make gagging noises when someone comes on tv? ALW is great at what he does,his looks are important how?

Nancy is a part time prostitute and it is clear in the book that her remark about 12 years in the same business refers to that. If you think a child of 6 can be a prostitute well--that's your opinion--also my son has no objection to ALW's looks I don't think, it is Barry H. he says is sickening. Also it isn't actually his looks as in appearance, it is the way he quite obviously ogles girls young enough to be his grandchild. I take it you either have no kids or yours are perfect--lucky you--I have four--and they are all fantastic--and if I were 13 Barry would make me gag too. He is revolting and we have a large screen with HD--yuk--

There is a saying that I learnt from my next door neighbor--Sarcasm is  the last refuge of a scoundrel.
. If you disagree with someone's views--which you are entitled to do---please don't make these sort of remarks--in any case I was referring to the Irish statement as well as the age--do you have a sarcastic remark about that too---?

#6 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(bp1975 @ May 17 2008, 12:07 PM) View Post

Just an addition. It is quite plain from my post that I was referring to Barry in regard to my son, not ALW. It is not his looks either. See above. Also I do not know who you are but I OBJECT strongly to you criticizing one of my kids. You do not know us. I OBJECT too to some unknown person criticizing the way we raise our kids. They are great and we can take them anywhere. What we do at home is not for you to complain about.  Barry makes me feel like gaging too--he is disgusting--slumped in his chair talking rubbish and ogling  girls, and he spends half his time evidently, dressed as some ancient old hag-----

#7 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Barry makes me feel like gaging too--he is disgusting--slumped in his chair talking rubbish and ogling girls, and he spends half his time evidently, dressed as some ancient old hag--

Good God........how incredibly immature of you angry.gif

#8 Molly-L

Molly-L

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(Jennell @ May 17 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post

It's aparent that ALW has a thing for the two young irish girls, Niamh and Jessie. Whether s their age or their Irish-ness, he likes them much.

I strongy dislike ALW,and like your son, when he appears on my TV, I make gagging noises.

#9 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Molly-L @ May 18 2008, 03:59 PM) View Post
It's aparent that ALW has a thing for the two young irish girls, Niamh and Jessie. Whether s their age or their Irish-ness, he likes them much.

I strongy dislike ALW,and like your son, when he appears on my TV, I make gagging noises.

hmmmmmmmmm more immaturity....don't watch then ....

#10 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(maymay @ May 18 2008, 02:58 PM) View Post
Barry makes me feel like gaging too--he is disgusting--slumped in his chair talking rubbish and ogling girls, and he spends half his time evidently, dressed as some ancient old hag--

Good God........how incredibly immature of you angry.gif

I am surprised you aren't dead. a person as perfect as you-------or does your post indicate some degree of idiocy----I still think Barry is disgusting as so do my entire family--but we are Polish-American --German  and thus obviously much less superior than you----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users