#21 morven82

morven82

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(timbawundakin @ May 19 2008, 11:20 AM) View Post
I think she was foolish to take on such a big song. Its sounded very clumsy and was out of time to the music for the most part. Big mistake.
Someone needs to take the poor girl out of there soon.
I dont think shed cope with 8 performances a week. No way.

I agree...because it was a pretty unknown song, people will think the scoops and dips and odd jumps are mistakes

#22 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(morven82 @ May 19 2008, 03:28 PM) View Post
I agree...because it was a pretty unknown song, people will think the scoops and dips and odd jumps are mistakes

well, evidently not, otherwise surely she'd have been in the bottom two?

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#23 Guest_Penny_*

Guest_Penny_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 19 2008, 10:45 AM) View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Samantha is clearly the unpopular one among the other Nancys? Both when they get to not be in the sing-off, and at the very end when they go up the steps after 'As Long As He Needs Me', Samantha is always on the outside of the group hugs.

And I also find it quite hilarious that she goes for Rachel every single week. She knows there ain't room for two girls with brown hair, and she knows that Rachel's the stronger.

I don't think that makes her unpopular at all, just because she doesn't make a song and dance about everything - gushing and crying and pulling tearful faces like the others do.  Is it also hilarious that Rachel picks Sam as 'Not A Nancy' for the same reason, presumably.  Maybe they both recognise the other as their strongest competiton.

#24 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Penny @ May 19 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post
In your opinion. She sang a difficult song well, in my opinion - for what it's worth as a member of the voting public - Oh, and in the opinion of AWL and the panel - and she's by far the best all-rounder. 'Hideous' - that's ridicuous!

Thanks again Penny!

#25 Guest_len_*

Guest_len_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(guest Sally @ May 18 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post
Am I missing something?? Was it really that bad?? No way was she the worst of the night, Jessie takes that prize for the 2nd week running.
I'm gonna say something now that I expect to get shot down for...I like Sam. Sorry. I do!!

It's not that I dislike Sam it's just that that was an awfully embarassing attempt to try and sing it. She was clearly flat many times during the performance and Jessie agreed was bad singing Fighter gave a good performance this saturday because shes mostly in pitch and can act wheres Sam i'm affraid cannot. She's still young though, she could easily develop into a good singer. Just not there yet

#26 Guest_guest Sally_*

Guest_guest Sally_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(len @ May 19 2008, 06:25 PM) View Post
It's not that I dislike Sam it's just that that was an awfully embarassing attempt to try and sing it. She was clearly flat many times during the performance and Jessie agreed was bad singing Fighter gave a good performance this saturday because shes mostly in pitch and can act wheres Sam i'm affraid cannot. She's still young though, she could easily develop into a good singer. Just not there yet

Jessie either does far too deep and meaningful still pensive acting or far too over the top crouching and stamping acting. Those aren't the traits of a good actress.

#27 Guest_Guest_Jon_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jon_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

I didn't mind Sam's performance actually.
I sat there knowing that it was coming up and having seen Kerry Ellis perform this live, and I couldn't see how she'd manage it. I've seen Cassidy Janson perform this in the West End too, and I don't think even she managed to give a great performance of the song even though she has been training to sing it (Elphaba U/S).

When the clips of Idina came on I wanted to shout at the screen. Yes idina originated the role (not counting SJB! tongue.gif) but she really did have pitch problems with Defying Gravity (as shown by other posters) so I really couldn';t understand why Idina should be the one to help her sing it. Over rated in my opinion. Idina is much better in Rent (but that;s a different story)

So Sam started singing. badly. But it's such a difficult start that i kind of waited to judge and she really suprised me. She was no Kerry Ellis but I think she probably sang this as well as CJ and although I love the growling at the top of the song, Sam's clearness was actually lovely to hear.

It wasn't the greatest performance ever but I have to give it to Sam that she chose a MT song and sang it fairly well. Would hate to see her in the role in London, save that for the pros!

(and can I just cover this post with; it's all my opinion! don't shout at me! smile.gif  )

#28 jimee1987

jimee1987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:08 AM

I've seen CJ play Elphaba in the West End as well and I think it's an insult to her that you say Sam sang it as well as she does.
Sam shouted her way through most of it and bottled a couple of key notes.

(this is my opinion)
"Condoms don't even go with lasagne"

#29 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

I don't think any of us (Sam Fans..for want of a better term) are saying that it was the best performance of Defying Gravity, or anywhere close to that, and I'm not even saying that it was a particularly good performance compared to others she's given in the competition, but I'd LOVE to see anyone else from the competition (mentioning no names...but have you ever seen a tree in Wicked?) try to do a MT song like that. Maybe we should wait until that day comes before forming any definite opinions about her performance...  mellow.gif

#30 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

AH! Sorry about that...this computer is a little temperamental...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users