- - - - -

Giving Sam A Hard Time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Debbie_*

Guest_Debbie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

I first felt the need to post as I met her myself about three weeks ago therefore I feel slightly peeved when people question her own personality.  I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet and humble she was, as well as the fact that she took time to chat.

Its got a bit annoying to be honest, sure she may not be your Nancy but the fact that people are starting to dislike her just because the Lord likes her is ridiculous. People don't seem to believe that credit should be given when it's due. For this role there is one solo number for her and that's As long as he needs me, the rest are group numbers. Everytime there is a group number Sam looks at ease, is comfortable on the stage and looks to have a great rapport with the Olivers.  

Clearly her vocals are shaky at times but it's not suprising, she's had hardly any training and is only just doing her A levels. In the time they have from the end of IDA and the opening night there is around what 4 or 5 months? I think that's plenty of time to give her some training and get her ready for the role.

She optimizes Nancy for me,  of course not for everyone but I wish some would cut her some slack.

Debs

PS; Rant over

#2 maymay

maymay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

u think Sam has a hard time?My God this board is a full time one way lets slag Jessie off board,she is the one who  has a hard time. not 'Legs Samantha' dry.gif

#3 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Debbie @ May 18 2008, 03:12 PM) View Post
I first felt the need to post as I met her myself about three weeks ago therefore I feel slightly peeved when people question her own personality. I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet and humble she was, as well as the fact that she took time to chat.

Its got a bit annoying to be honest, sure she may not be your Nancy but the fact that people are starting to dislike her just because the Lord likes her is ridiculous. People don't seem to believe that credit should be given when it's due. For this role there is one solo number for her and that's As long as he needs me, the rest are group numbers. Everytime there is a group number Sam looks at ease, is comfortable on the stage and looks to have a great rapport with the Olivers.

Clearly her vocals are shaky at times but it's not suprising, she's had hardly any training and is only just doing her A levels. In the time they have from the end of IDA and the opening night there is around what 4 or 5 months? I think that's plenty of time to give her some training and get her ready for the role.

She optimizes Nancy for me, of course not for everyone but I wish some would cut her some slack.

Debs

PS; Rant over

THANK YOU DEBBIE!!!  I totally agree with what you have said and I haven't even met her!  She has maturity way beyond her years, takes on everything she is advised whether positive or negative and if necessary improves on it the next week, she has never answered the judges back, she is the best dancer in the competition, she challenges herself (as shown last night - I thought she did a great job!), she is stunning and is very calm and professional......RANT OVER!!! laugh.gif

#4 Guest_rammy_*

Guest_rammy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(maymay @ May 18 2008, 02:54 PM) View Post
u think Sam has a hard time?My God this board is a full time one way lets slag Jessie off board,she is the one who  has a hard time. not 'Legs Samantha' dry.gif

laugh.gif at last an ally!!! couldnt agree more maymay, well said!

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

She may be 'nice' but on screen she has the personality of a damp dish cloth. Her talent is nothing more than mediocre at best.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Is this another post about ALW's trouser readjustment? Or would that be 'Sam Giving a Hard Time'?

#7 NewRomantics-x

NewRomantics-x

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Music, lyrics, what people are thinking when they write lyics and songs and if they are all based on real life situations, listening to someone play acoustic guitar, books - fiction and non-fiction, films, people, comedy, talking, banter, real life, football, our way of life (i.e. in Glasgow, when asked what school you went to, really people just want to know if you're Catholic or Protestant), dance - not me personally but I like watching it done properly, people with raw talent, make up, writing, drawing, fashion and style. Interesting people with good stories. Natural wit. The theatre and everything to do with it. From the make up and costumes to the actors and performers themselves.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

I've nothing really against Sam at all. I just don'tthink she's right for the part of Nancy. Or at this age, a leading lady part in West End. Perhaps touring productions would suit her more until she matures a little in the business.
Call me Heather.

#8 Guest_Marta_*

Guest_Marta_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

I do think there's a trend among a minority of posters on different forums to attack the girls' personally and I don't think that Samantha has received any more of that than the other contestants.

However, your point is a valid one, and it does make me a bit cross when the personality of the girls becomes more important to voters than their respective talents.  This is not a personality contest.  I don't get why it matters if Nancy X or Y as a person epitomises who Nancy is.  What matters (to me) is which of the Nancies can convince a paying audience and the critics that she can act the part well.  I think the show has blurred the line between being able to act vulnerable/feisty/womanly etc. and actually bing vulnerable/feisty.  Does this make sense?!!  (It does to me, but that's probably not saying much! smile.gif)

Saying that, the great British public have the capacity to be fickle, and without clear guidance from ALW and CM about what kind of attributes the eventual winner needs to have (e.g. stamina/great voice/great dancing/great acting/strength/confidence/guts), people are likely to pick a favourite based on how they 'come across' which is determined by the BBC editing/production teams.  Whether these people are likely to pick up the phone is, however, another matter.

Ramble over. Sorry everyone. Thanks for reading wink.gif

#9 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ May 19 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post
Is this another post about ALW's trouser readjustment? Or would that be 'Sam Giving a Hard Time'?

Is this necessary?  Should this have got through?

#10 elphy

elphy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

im afraid i cant stand sam. i think she runied defying gravity in my opinion last night.. she is nothing special sure she caning but she is nothing to say wow about all she does is SHOUT.. jODIE FOR nANCY THOUGH AND THORUGH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users