- - - - -

Sing Off Next Week

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Dibley_*

Guest_Dibley_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

But I don't think that many people are adicted to voting. When their favourite goes out it doesn't mean they automatically vote for the one most like them. I 'm excited to think that ALW may have to put up with a winner who isn't his favourite.

#32 Guest_jan donaldson_*

Guest_jan donaldson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

[
It is very possible that a couple of contenders could, with a few years hard work, turn into very competent peformers possibly capable of commanding a West End stage.  However,  I personally am not prepared to pay 70 quid for a seat in order to watch them hone their art.  Aside from Hollywood movies it is very unusual for anybody to become a star overnight.  Many of the people this appears to have happened to have in actuality spent years hoofing in the chorus or working in provincial theatres.  There is an exception that proves every rule and the girl in  'Hairspray' confirms this.  I have seen quite a few professional musicals over the years where quite small roles were played by girls better than the competitors in Nancy.  Come to think of it I have also seen a few amateur productions where the  female leads were at least as good.   The producers are fully aware of this but they are also aware of the fact that these competitions guarantee bums on seats.  In one way one cannot critiicise this in that it keeps theatres open but one has to feel sorry for the girls who have undertaken years of training and casting sessions only to lose out to a gimmick.  In the long run this cannot be good for the future of the musical theatre.

#33 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Dibley @ May 20 2008, 09:02 PM) View Post
[quote name='Misplaced' date='May 20 2008, 06:30 PM' post='3543
I have no doubt that Jodie is polling the vast majority of the public votes whether you like her or not.

I don't believe I said anything in my post about not liking her ...
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#34 Guest_Dibley_*

Guest_Dibley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ May 21 2008, 03:40 PM) View Post
I don't believe I said anything in my post about not liking her ...

I wasn't just talking to you. I was addressing everybody x

#35 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Dibley @ May 21 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post
I wasn't just talking to you. I was addressing everybody x

Fair enough!And for the record, I do think Jodie is dynamic and good, and definitely the contender I'd spend an evening down the pub with (though my ultimate preferences for the role were for Fran or Sarah).  I just think ALW is dead set against the woman (perhaps because she stands up to him,though that is another [possibly fascinating] discussion...).

#36 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ May 22 2008, 04:37 AM) View Post
Fair enough!And for the record, I do think Jodie is dynamic and good, and definitely the contender I'd spend an evening down the pub with (though my ultimate preferences for the role were for Fran or Sarah). I just think ALW is dead set against the woman (perhaps because she stands up to him,though that is another [possibly fascinating] discussion...).

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree.  I have never considered Jodie to be 'dynamic' and although she may be a person you or I would spend an evening down the pub with that is one of the reasons why I don't considere her to be suitable for a role (Nancy is not the lead in Oliver!) in a West End musical.  If I am going to pay 60 for a ticket and 20 train fare to see the show I want to see someone who has a professional air about them and not someone who I would think of as my buddy.

#37 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ May 22 2008, 08:53 PM) View Post
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. I have never considered Jodie to be 'dynamic' and although she may be a person you or I would spend an evening down the pub with that is one of the reasons why I don't considere her to be suitable for a role (Nancy is not the lead in Oliver!) in a West End musical. If I am going to pay 60 for a ticket and 20 train fare to see the show I want to see someone who has a professional air about them and not someone who I would think of as my buddy.

Yep, that's why I preferred Fran or Sarah for the role.  My statement about "liking" her didn't have anything to do with her qualifications for the role ... but of the remaining four, I think Jodie could pull it off, and she is to my mind the most dynamic of those remaining.  Not convinced the other three could pull it off -- while Sam is probably the best all-rounder (as pointed out by others), she probably needs more work to get her to the point where she could do 8 shows a week.  Jodie's already there, although she may not do 8 shows a week the way I'd like to see/hear them done.

#38 Guest_anita clarke_*

Guest_anita clarke_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

i dont know who will win but aldoes not seem to like jodie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users