- - - - -

Campaign To Get A Proper Leading Lady On The Panel Of The Next Show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Campaigner_*

Guest_Campaigner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

I really have an issue with Denise 'talentless' Outen being on the panel.

We need someone like: Ruthie Henshall, Joanna Riding or Maria Friedman!!!

Who agrees????

#2 pilgrim

pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Campaigner @ May 18 2008, 08:14 PM) View Post
I really have an issue with Denise 'talentless' Outen being on the panel.

We need someone like: Ruthie Henshall, Joanna Riding or Maria Friedman!!!

Who agrees????

I agree.....

#3 Guest_jesse_*

Guest_jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

I couldnt agree more. Taking over as Roxie and starring in a flop revival of Rent hardly equipts DVO to sit on a panel critisizing wannabe musical actresses. Rachel has more right than she does!

Ruthie should have done it.....not only because of her cv...but also she has played Nancy........

But above all this..i hope there is NO show after this one....this is the  last in ALW's contract with the bbc.

#4 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

all the indications are that there will be no more shows of this genre for the foreseeable future

just hope we get some showtunes at some point!

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

If he goes to ITV with Jesus Christ Superstar then i hope to hell he doesn't bring DVO!!!

John Barrowman seems to be the only one with any credibility who's not afraid to be honest and go against DVO and BH who both seem to just lick ALW a**E!!!

#6 abalafae

abalafae

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I agree but hopefully they wonm't do another one!
We taught the world new ways to dream.

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Denise Van Outen and Barry Humphries are both embarassing on the panel. He's done enough to deserve to be there, but his comments are awful;  she has done nowhere near enough to be an 'expert' on anything to do with theatre - she was really mediocre in Chicago and Rent - and her comments often make me want to scream and cry and jump out of windows.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#8 Guest_dramaboy_*

Guest_dramaboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

You conveniently neglect to mention that DVO trained in musical theatre, featured in Les Mis as a teenager, took Roxie to Broadway (where the American producers are much more selective than their UK counterparts who will take on just about anyone in any part if it might sell a ticket.)  She was also the best thing in a terrible production (Rent), turned down Calamity Jane a few years ago (which I think she'd hve been great in) and MOST IMPORTANTLY carried a one-woman show for over 12 months in the West End (Tell Me On A Sunday) when lots of other shows were closing within weeks.  

I'm not saying she's as good as Friedman (of course she's not) but she's as good as Riding, in a different way.  Besides, if you got Henshall in, she'd only be encouraging all the other performers to stare wide-eyed into the mid-stalls, try and look like an ingenue, and to sing through their teeth. ;-)

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(dramaboy @ May 19 2008, 07:19 AM) View Post
but she's as good as Riding, in a different way.

You have got to be kidding me. Riding is in a totally different league, not comparable.

#10 NewRomantics-x

NewRomantics-x

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Music, lyrics, what people are thinking when they write lyics and songs and if they are all based on real life situations, listening to someone play acoustic guitar, books - fiction and non-fiction, films, people, comedy, talking, banter, real life, football, our way of life (i.e. in Glasgow, when asked what school you went to, really people just want to know if you're Catholic or Protestant), dance - not me personally but I like watching it done properly, people with raw talent, make up, writing, drawing, fashion and style. Interesting people with good stories. Natural wit. The theatre and everything to do with it. From the make up and costumes to the actors and performers themselves.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

I have seen DVO in a few performances and while she was particularly good in Tell Me On A Sunday, I don't feel she is right for the panel on IDA. I'm no fan of Henshall but as she has played Nancy before, I agree that she should be on the panel.
Call me Heather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users