• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#21 NewRomantics-x

NewRomantics-x

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Music, lyrics, what people are thinking when they write lyics and songs and if they are all based on real life situations, listening to someone play acoustic guitar, books - fiction and non-fiction, films, people, comedy, talking, banter, real life, football, our way of life (i.e. in Glasgow, when asked what school you went to, really people just want to know if you're Catholic or Protestant), dance - not me personally but I like watching it done properly, people with raw talent, make up, writing, drawing, fashion and style. Interesting people with good stories. Natural wit. The theatre and everything to do with it. From the make up and costumes to the actors and performers themselves.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

I doubt ALW will cast any of the 13 year olds. Kwayedza already has quite a premature baritone voice which I'm not sure will hold out for a year (how however long the show is intending to run for).
Gwion IMO is the perfect choice as he has the right look about him and he's at the right age (abut 9?).
Call me Heather.

#22 morven82

morven82

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Gwion cannot be Oliver...his accent makes it too difficult to understand what he's singing even if you know the lyrics!

#23 Guest_Moony_*

Guest_Moony_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Gwion is 11, though he doesn't look it!

Arthur (10) - strains his voice too much. Don't know why he was chosen
Alexander (11) - very good voice, a bit nervous but right image
Laurence (11) - again good voice, terrible dancer but seems a very natural actor
Gwion (11) - so-so voice but incomprehensible.
Chester (12) - very good voice, good mover. Definite for the role.
Harry (12) - strong actor but vocally not as strong and so not Oliver-like. Maybe Dodger.
Kwayedza (13) - voice a baritone so no way can he play the role.
Jonny (13) - average voice and wooden on stage. Too old.

I think it should be Alexander, Laurence and Chester with maybe Gwion as reserve.

#24 Guest_Chloeee_*

Guest_Chloeee_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

I love Arthur & Laurence...But then its too hard because they are all so cute! probably Jonny or Alexander x

#25 Guest_giggleboy_*

Guest_giggleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

Chester and Gwion were the only ones who have had the chance to show off their head voice. Chester with 'Pie Jesu'. If the others had had a chance to sing songs like that we would have seen some other nice top ranges - hopefully so, otherwise, what were they doing there? To me Chester looked pretty scared when he was singing 'Pie Jesu'. He is also tall. Harry is an absolute dead cert for the final because of his track record with CM. In fact I very much doubt his agent would have let him do IDA unless he was guaranteed one of the three final places. This is not a voting thing so there would have been no dishonesty in that. If they all get a chance at singing 'Where is Love?' and 'Who will buy? that will be a good decider.
I'm amazed people call them cute. Not only is it patronising it's not really true. If you took a random bunch of 12 kids you'd find much much 'cuter' ones. They decidedly have NOT been picked for cuteness - which is an odd decision commercially but let's hope they have they can find three who have the musicality and good voice production to make up for it.

#26 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Oliver has quite a restricted vocal range - there is no need for an amazing head voice

What is needed is clarity and purity of tone and the right winning innocence

#27 Guest_giggleboy_*

Guest_giggleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 19 2008, 05:15 PM) View Post
Oliver has quite a restricted vocal range - there is no need for an amazing head voice

What is needed is clarity and purity of tone and the right winning innocence

Don't tell me they're going to sing the last four bars of 'Where is Love?' in chest voice?
I'm just saying that the verse of 'Reach for the Stars' hardly shows off their ability sing higher up the register, hardly shows of anything at all in fact, although the sentiment was great in that song, with the 4 boys going home, the chorus was nice and upbeat, but somebody should have transposed the verse into a key they could sing it at. It's completely unfair that Chester got the chance to show off with 'Pie Jesu' and Gwion got 'Bright Eyes' all Jonny got was that Abba song, for example and Alex had to do the opening of 'Can you feel the love tonight?' which is horribly pitched for a treble.

Remind me who your top 3 are, Oxford Simon, for 'purity of tone and the right winning innocence'?

#28 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

I find it hard to single them out because we haven't seen enough of them as individuals

Laurence is the one who has stood out in terms of attitude - but I really don't know their voices well enough to be able to judge

#29 Guest_giggleboy_*

Guest_giggleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ May 19 2008, 09:23 AM) View Post
What makes you think that the finalists aren't stage school kids. Harry certainly has professional acting experience and I imagine most of them are at some sort of stage school, if only part time.

Harry is in a different league from the others and is hugely experienced and talented. He does not go to full time theatre school but he has worked very successfully in the West End and on televsion for at least 3 years. There are other boys with similar experience and talent to Harry who were not picked for IDA, for whatever reason, possibly because they attend full time theatre school. When they are put into the equation I think we will have some Olivers worth watching.
You cannot compare a few hours a week at Stagecoach with proper training and experience. Admittedly you might get a complete newcomer out of this search - everyone has to start somewhere and good luck to them. Many have significantly improved during the 12 weeks on TV. I just don't think you can take a child who really wants to be a marine biologist or an inventor (according to their biogs) and make a West End star of them. I don't think it's fair on the child.

#30 DNY

DNY

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Finally! An oliver thread!

To be honest, the olivers are the only interesting feature of this show anymore. All of the Nancies are totally wrong for the role, but the Olivers are sweet, professional and at least they manage to churn out decent (not counting 'reach for the stars', which was a horrible display of camp awfullness, and caused me to cringe with embarrasment for the poor boys. Whoever formulated that idea deserves to be shot, or even worse, made to spend a night with Barry Humphries) songs every week, which is much more than I can say for the Nancies. I think I have watched 'Give a little love' about 20 odd times, that was an incredibly good performance, and so well done, even when there was an obvious equipment malfunction for one of the boys.

I like all of the final 8, apart from Arthur. Something about him reminds me of a small rodent and his singing is okay, but nowhere near the standard of the others. I think that Gareth should have gotten through instead of him, he was way better.

My favourites from the start have been Gwion and Chester. I know that Gwion is probably far too welsh to play Oliver, but I can't help but find his rampant welshness very endearing. Plus, he has been consistent throughout the series, and has never performed badly, or hit a stunningly bad note ( Step forward ex-oliver Joseph!  Next time, remember to clear your throat out of phlegm before you sing). I like Chester because he is a very sweet looking boy for one, and I tend to be quite shallow, and I find his big teath and weasel-ish smile to be very cute. Problem is, ALW said he didn't want a innocent little pretty boy, which pretty much excudes both Chester and Jonny from the running, but I doubt that ALW will actually keep to his word, and I'm pretty confident Chester will get through. As for Jonny, I doubt that his mounting tween girl fanbase would allow him not to get into the final 3. I like Laurence, I find his quirkiness nice, and Harry is ever so posh and obviously backed by the beeb, but I also like him because he manages to be animated and engaging, but not overly so, throughout ever performance. Kway is a very good singer, but too deep voiced for the role. Alex doesn't really make any impression on me, and it's starting to get on my nerves that he insists on tucking his ear outside his oliver cap, so the look like Bing Crosby's. Also, to whoever said that the Olivers were not conventionally cute; Don't you know that quirks and oddtieis are what makes a person even more adorable? Take Lee Pace's enormous eyebrows as an example.

God. It's going to be so painful when the final 3 are chosen! I like them all, so I don't want to see them unhappy. Please BBC, don't make us sit through a horribly harsh mocking dismissal of the Olivers, like they do to the Nancies every week. Please!

Yes, I do realise I wrote far too much, and I probably seem a tad pervy. I asure you I'm not. I'm just bored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users