102 replies to this topic

#101 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

Set wise, Billy would be easy to tour, once modified.... but the infrastructure around the show is massive, with the continual rehearsal of the kids, the regular schooling that needs to be maintained, the rehearsal spaces needed for gymnastics, flying practice, ballet, tap floors.... there's a lot goes into it.  Although the US tour will have solved many of these problems (I presume), the cities in the US have better facilities that many in Britain.... so if a tour does happen over here, it would take quite a lot of planning, and possibly not happen immediately on the back of Billy closing.

I thought he reassurances the VP theatre was given about no building work happening until 2016 were from London Underground (who accidentally knocked through into the crew room a few months back!).... but I should think the theatre itself could do any work it wants to once Billy leaves.

#102 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostSeriously, on 27 August 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

Set wise, Billy would be easy to tour, once modified.... but the infrastructure around the show is massive, with the continual rehearsal of the kids, the regular schooling that needs to be maintained, the rehearsal spaces needed for gymnastics, flying practice, ballet, tap floors.... there's a lot goes into it.  Although the US tour will have solved many of these problems (I presume), the cities in the US have better facilities that many in Britain.... so if a tour does happen over here, it would take quite a lot of planning, and possibly not happen immediately on the back of Billy closing.

I thought he reassurances the VP theatre was given about no building work happening until 2016 were from London Underground (who accidentally knocked through into the crew room a few months back!).... but I should think the theatre itself could do any work it wants to once Billy leaves.

The infrastructure around the show could affect the closure in two ways:- a long closure notice to allow the last Billies through the school and into performance (also I suspect that the box office will get a boost once a date is announced), OR a tour soon after closing at the VP to keep the Billies / Chaperones in use.

It was my understanding also that the 2016 date was from TfL, but in any case I am sure that the VP will insert an unusual clause into any new contract for an incoming show allowing a break of the contract by the theatre. They will not want a long open ended run delaying the rebuild. Any major new show, hoping for an extended stay may well not want the prospect of having to move and again I suspect that post BE the VP will host limited engagements until the demolition contractors move in.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#103 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostIan, on 27 August 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

The infrastructure around the show could affect the closure in two ways:- a long closure notice to allow the last Billies through the school and into performance (also I suspect that the box office will get a boost once a date is announced), OR a tour soon after closing at the VP to keep the Billies / Chaperones in use.

I suspect a long closing notice is more likely in order to get the remaining children to do the final leg of performanes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users